Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

4 hours ago, GotAU? said:

-Simon, shutdowns?  I had my original 11” replaced for ear cracking, but noticed my detector turn off and restart by itself occasionally with the new 11”.  Is this what you meant?  I thought perhaps it was a loose connector or something like that because it so seldomly happened.  I guess I should inquire about getting it replaced under warranty again? Do you know where the reports came from about this issue?

-Anthony 

No I was meaning this problem

Random shutdowns like you're describing would be a battery connection or a detector fault you would think, I would report the fault to them and see what they say, it should never shutdown for no reason so that I would consider a fault.

If the coil disconnects, has a bad connection or has a fault the detector shuts down like in the video above.  This turned out a completely dead 11" coil, we got back home and tried the 17" coil on it and it worked fine.

• Thanks 1

It probably was the battery- it’d shut off and restart by itself without having to push anything. Haven’t had the problem happen that often, so next time I will check the battery. It’s interesting that it keeps in the power on status when this happened and just rebooted… I haven’t noticed any blue screen on it though.. that’s a relief! 😉

5 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

GotAU

What you just said about your detector turning off and on was the big problem with the 2300 when they came out. The problem was the C batteries was a loose fit and when the batteries loss contact it would go off then back on again. The thing that corrected the problem right away was a business card push down beside the batteries and that filled up the extra space.

Who knows maybe your battery in your 6000 has a problem like the 2300. 
Chuck 

PS When you snap your battery back into the contacts they may not be top quality and not a tight fit when you first got it. 

I think you’re right about the battery. It happens so rarely that I have to wait until next time and see if there’s a loose battery. Thanks!

On 5/27/2023 at 2:23 PM, Todd Maclean said:

Hi all, first time posting. I’ll make it quick. 
 #1 fifth time out 11” coil dead. #2 under 100hrs (well under I think?) the second 11” died. #3 I was talked into the speaker upgrade/repair against my will as I only use headphones.  Dropped off a working machine and 3 weeks later after multiple phone calls was told everything good come and pick up your detector. Get there and told we had to send your detector off to minelab because 2x bad  11” coils was not right?? 4 weeks without an $8000 detector and getting the run around?? Starting to wonder if this was a good purchase for a part time hobby!!

Quick update. Turns out they never sent my 6k away and have sent it back to me via express post. Less annoyed and very relieved! Now just waiting on an 11” replacement. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Nedkelly said:

Finally got the emi fix done on my 6000. 20 minute wait at miners den Bendigo.  I just couldn't bring myself to post it to minelab,  14 day turnaround they said over the phone when I rang to see whether it was needed.  I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the fix. First 2 hours of testing after the fix running with speaker only no more crazy emi problems,  especially when I put it on the ground to recover a target . Next 2 hours with headphones,  and no problems.  Very happy with the fix.🙂

Good on ya for getting it done- pretty nice now, isn’t it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nedkelly said:

Finally got the emi fix done on my 6000. 20 minute wait at miners den Bendigo.  I just couldn't bring myself to post it to minelab,  14 day turnaround they said over the phone when I rang to see whether it was needed.  I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the fix. First 2 hours of testing after the fix running with speaker only no more crazy emi problems,  especially when I put it on the ground to recover a target . Next 2 hours with headphones,  and no problems.  Very happy with the fix.🙂

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for posting feedback, it encourages the last stragglers to finally get it done which they should.  The change is rather noticeable on just about every detector that has had it done from what I've seen so far... 

Fantastic service by Miners Den. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Good on ya for getting it done- pretty nice now, isn’t it?

Yes good now, how I expected a new model $8000 detector to perform. Just gotta go over my gold spots again with the after market coils . I might be able to hear the deep faint signals now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nedkelly said:

Yes good now, how I expected a new model $8000 detector to perform. Just gotta go over my gold spots again with the after market coils . I might be able to hear the deep faint signals now.

Yeah, you think they would’ve gotten it right the first time…maybe. All good now, my turnaround time was about a week.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Yeah, you think they would’ve gotten it right the first time…maybe. All good now, my turnaround time was about a week.

The only thing that bothered me was the cover up and trying to say it's a sensitive detector etc etc etc as the reason for the problem rather than admitting there was a real fault, i was heavily mocked by some individuals far more knowledgeable than me about detectors for complaining about it when I was confident it was not normal behaviour.

I guess as more and more people were finding the problem and questioning them about it they had to accept it wasn't such a tiny number of detectors that they could get away with just dismissing and was in fact a widespread issue I believe affecting every GPX 6000 sold until they worked out and resolved the problem.  I'm thankful they did it, but I'm disappointed it took so long to accept it was a real problem.   The 6000's now everything I hoped it would be.

• Like 7