Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

Guest Just Dave
1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Just Dave, I believe you use another brand of PI which is totally fine. I like that detector too. However at least in the USA, the GPX 6000 is $6000 or less depending on a buyer being able to use Minelab's US military 15% discount. Also, Minelab have bent over backwards to take care of US buyers that have had problems with their GPX 6000 that were legitimate quality control issues from the factory or that developed after purchase.

I have purchased several detectors this year. One from Minelab and three from manufacturers which included QED. I have had problems with all three manufacturers products (not Minelab by the way) and needed repair or customer support to sort them out. So lowered quality control is not just limited to Minelab. 

While it's being made clear I am a QED user, I own both sd2200d and sovereign and previously a GM. I have every intention of using whatever is best for my budget, and continued finds are helping. As someone who is looking always at a new  PI at a future stage, I do not have your faith and brand loyalty or the knowledge for it to pay for itself in short time. I would not be as kind worded as those here, had I paid even $6k US, for something that didn't switch on, and left me waiting an indefinite time, before I could use it. A willingness to fix it does not make the experience better. And back to the hand made QED...there have been many X more failures of the 6000 than QED's actually made. It's the best bang for buck PI in Aus, once you realise it doesn't work the same as ML machines.

Hi Jonathan, all the best for the next detecting season when the weather cools off.

I have mounted the Quest Tx on the arm cuff as far from the electronics as possible. No discernible interference and the WiFi sound is very good. The Rx has the added advantage of volume control. Bauhn have  Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones, but lack volume. They can also be used with cable or the Quest Rx unit which solves the volume problem, but not much point in paying more for this unit when the cheaper non Bluetooth unit is fine when matched to the Quest system.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Excuse my sarcasm. But it's an 8k top of the GPX range detector. And if you get one that switches on, you have to buy $200+ wifi and headphone setup, in order for it to be usable? (according to Reg, JP and others). I don't remember reading that in the promo material??🤨

Or you can use it just fine with included equipment since day one, with no issues, like I and many others have. Or just don’t buy one, problem solved. If you are happy with what you have, then stick with it.

I used to run a large service department for ATVs, snowmobiles, outboards, you name it, all outdoor power stuff. Full time job fixing even brand new $250,000 boats. Everything made by humans has issues and failures, and if you think the 6K is a problem, you have not been around the stuff I have been, that’s for sure. How about every $10,000 snowmobile you sell being defective, recalled, and returned for service. Just one example, I could go on for hours. It was endless. You need full time people just to submit warranty claims. I’m serious. Stuff being made right all the time is largely a myth, and why we need warranties in the first place. If it’s an brand new just released product, you can bet bugs will turn up. We just take it for granted cell phones will need endless updates. What makes you think something as complex as a $6000 new tech detector would be any different?

But yeah, some stuff is stupid. That damn battery door! :laugh:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jeff McClendon, I am hoping that the QED that you purchased is the PL3 which was a good unit for the price. I am no longer involved with QED as I had a major falling out with the builder who insisted on putting the PL4 on the market without any testing. The new model was, in my opinion, inferior to the PL3 and after voicing my thoughts I was dismissed as a dealer.

• Like 2

Minelab deserves a little heat on this one, and something tells me they can handle it just fine. Laughing all the way to the bank no doubt, as usual. As long as they deliver the performance edge, and they do without a doubt, they will remain the market leader. They can put spikes in the armrest so you have to bleed while using them, and if they bring home the gold, people will buy them.

• Like 5

Guest Just Dave
14 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Or you can use it just fine with included equipment since day one, with no issues, like I and many others have. Or just don’t buy one, problem solved. If you are happy with what you have, then stick with it.

Hardly encouraging, for those looking to start the hobby, or those like myself, looking to improve equipment with experience.

And most large companies would admit fault and issue a recall, not keep it quiet and try and handle it on a case by case bases. I still haven't heard an 'official' reason for the amount and variety of faults and failures...have you?? And blaming covid?? quality control guy got covid so nobody did it?? Seriously. I love ML PI performance, but not the way they treat they're novice customers and even some long time ones. Why I push noobs in Aus to look at all alternatives(relative to their experience), before parting with hard earned cash.

12 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Hardly encouraging, for those looking to start the hobby, or those like myself, looking to improve equipment with experience.

And most large companies would admit fault and issue a recall, not keep it quiet and try and handle it on a case by case bases. I still haven't heard an 'official' reason for the amount and variety of faults and failures...have you?? And blaming covid?? quality control guy got covid so nobody did it?? Seriously. I love ML PI performance, but not the way they treat they're novice customers and even some long time ones. Why I push noobs in Aus to look at all alternatives(relative to their experience), before parting with hard earned cash.

Ok, that’s cool, I get it. But why should I care? You’ve got your opinions, I’ve got mine, we expressed them, move on. Repetition just gets boring. I’ve fully supported threads on MY forum pointing out these issues, so I don’t feel like I’m involved in doing anything but help bring these issues to light. What people buy and use I could care less, and it’s not my job to defend Minelab. They may be the most hated name in the industry to hear their own customers talk. It simply does not bother me like it bothers you, as I’m too old and cynical to get my shorts up in a bunch over companies disappointing me. They all make a habit of it. Read my latest posts on the Fisher First Texas Forum if you want an genuine tale of woe. The GPX 6000 has got nothing on the Impulse AQ debacle.

• Like 4

Guest Just Dave
3 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Ok, that’s cool, I get it. But why should I care? You’ve got your opinions, I’ve got mine, we expressed them, move on. Repetition just gets boring. I’ve fully supported threads on MY forum pointing out these issues, so don’t feel like I’m involved in doing anything but help bring these issue to light. What people buy and use I could care less, and it’s not my job to defend Minelab. They may be the most hated name in the industry to hear their own customers talk. It simply does not bother me like it bothers you as I’m too old and cynical to get my shorts up in a bunch over companies disappointing me. They all make a habit of it. Read my latest posts on the Fisher First Texas Forum is you want an genuine tale of woe. The GPX has got nothing on the Impulse AQ debacle.

Didn't realise I wasn't allowed to reply to comments about my initial statement? Which I'm pretty sure is all I've done. 

And two wrongs don't make it right.😉

7 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Didn't realise I wasn't allowed to reply to comments about my initial statement? Which I'm pretty sure is all I've done. 

And two wrongs don't make it right.😉

Of course you are allowed. Just like I’m allowed to respond. But do go on and on about it if you think it will make any difference.

Your premise that companies do not quietly handle warranty case by case is totally inaccurate. It’s the way virtually all companies handle piecemeal issues. If they are all defective, you do a recall. They are not, and all you have is anecdotal evidence of isolated issues, which you want to conflate into something more than it is. Over a detector I’m assuming you do not own, and therefore have had no issues with. My machine has no issues. Mine has easily found over $10k worth of gold first season. My friends machine has no issues. He’s amazed how well it works. Many posters say the same. But if you want to cherry pick the bad and ignore that most users are just fine, then go for it. It solves nothing, achieves nothing, life will go on.

• Like 8

Guest Just Dave
1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Of course you are allowed. Just like I’m allowed to respond. But do go on and on about it if you think it will make any difference.

Your premise that companies will not handle warranty case by case is totally inaccurate. It’s the way virtually all companies handle piecemeal issues. If they are all defective, you do a recall. They are not, and all you have is anecdotal evidence of isolated issues, which you want to conflate into something more than it is. Over a detector I’m assuming you do not own, and therefore have had no issues with. My machine has no issues. Mine has easily found over $10k worth of gold first season. My friends machine has no issues. He’s amazed how well it works. Many posters say the same. But if you want to cherry pick the bad and ignore that most users are just fine, then go for it. It solves nothing, achieves nothing, life will go on.

That's not what I was Implying. The amount of issues being reported worldwide calls for an admission of a problem, something they are yet to do. Dealers being left to bear the burden of explanation, with only covid being used as a reason is lame. Covid will be here for a while, where's the guarantee the faults won't? And if you are unlucky enough to get a bad one, why are some having issues with a replacement and only being offered repair? These are users words, I'm simply repeating them.