Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

9 hours ago, Norvic said:

Steve H on this the Premier World Detecting Forum has clearly from his first review shown the GPX6000 is a "magic" detector, there is no endorsement better then that in this world, also DP has had many other experienced operators endorse the GPX 6000. Sure there is plenty of negative opinions out there on social media, always has been, always will be.

Well said, Norvic. Having used the 6000 for quite some time now I can say that this detector is without doubt the most sophisticated but yet easy to use detector I have ever come across. I don't question that some unfortunate users have problems due to technical issues with the detector itself. However, I also speculate that some users are not operating the detector correctly, or are in environments where the detector is challenged to begin with, in particular when using the 11 or 17 mono coils. The enormous sensitivity of the technology comes at a price and you need to be fully aware of that. Strict coil control, slow swing speed, not changing coil height while swinging, avoiding bumps, frequent noise cancel and every now and then factory resets work all great for me in concert to avoid most of the issues that I have heard on the forum. I even can live with the bit EMI that the speaker is producing, although I often use the BT headset anyway. Just like Steve said I can hear through EMI pretty well for the most part, unless it really gets too crazy. But this is not different to the SDC or 7000 where you also need to learn how to listed through threshold chatter. SDC users know this very well and so do all the HY/normal/smoothing off users out there. It is always said that the 6000 is great for beginners who want a high end machine. I totally agree with that. But I also believe that it actually takes some experience to "calm down" or trouble shoot the 6000 in case it runs unstable, something new users might not be very familiar with.

GC

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Back on topic, as a dealer I too have seen a worrying amount of problematic 6000s, there have been way too many coil failures and DOA units for my liking, far more than the 7000 release for sure. I honestly think COVID has put a wrecking ball through MLs QC, someone in the factory is supposed to be checking all this and obviously isn’t for whatever reason, I feel sorry for the guy at ML HQ who has the job of trying to sort this stuff out. 

JP

I felt really bad when mine was DOA. I thought everyone was going to think I was crazy 😄, as Minelab is a much better company than that. But things do happen, and unfortunately even the biggest companies can not control quality like in the old days.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I feel sorry for the guy at ML HQ who has the job of trying to sort this stuff out. 

Takes a guy with the right mindset. I’d love the challenge. An opportunity to make a real difference in the company.  First step: send 20+ units to the US and have them returned for QA.

On 10/20/2021 at 12:24 AM, Jonathan Porter said:

Best bet for ‘new new’ users is to use the Factory preset Auto with no threshold mode.

JP

Hi JP, what are your thoughts on this issue I mentioned in another thread, it appears that the delta between running thresh and not is a bit too wide on the opening of the front end or audio chain (akin to the squelch set to high on a radio), have you seen this in your dealings? From what I see here, there's a serious risk of a miss running no thresh as you suggested, has this improved?

Thanks

Jen

• Like 2

Running zero threshold is always going to miss gold no matter how you set it up, if the dead zone is adjusted too high/low (its a timeywhimey thing (DR WHO fan 😂)) then the break through becomes a major issue with the operator constantly being alerted to breakthrough target like signals which gets away from the whole concept. 

The 6000 has a massive amount of headroom sensitivity wise, if a target is within sensible range of the coil then the zero threshold option will bang on it, however if the targets are getting to the edge of detection depth then the signal response will not make it through the filtering. 

I do not advise using zero threshold in the Manual modes, Minelab engineers put a lot of thought and design into the Auto modes so there is a lot more going on under the hood than just turning the Threshold off. I have not had time to watch the YouTube vid sorry will do that later today if I’m no it too whacked form detecting in 39 degree heat. 😞 

JP

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I felt really bad when mine was DOA. I thought everyone was going to think I was crazy 😄, as Minelab is a much better company than that. But things do happen, and unfortunately even the biggest companies can not control quality like in the old days.

Minelab still is that “much better company” they often go above and beyond on repairs and getting things sorted for people, even in some cases long after the warranty has expired. Every issue we’ve seen in our store since the 6000’s came out has been addressed promptly, so don’t think for a second Minelab have slackened off other than it’s a brand new detector release in the middle of a world pandemic. There are always gremlins with any new detector as the factory irons out the manufacturing processes, and as usual Minelab will be there for its customers if problems arise. 

The GPX6000 is still going to become an all time favourite that has set the bar for every other detector that follows, its universal ease of use and outright performance is beyond compare. I spent 4 years of my life doing my little bit to help as best I could to ensure that it was as easy to use as possible for just about anyone regardless of their experience, the power packed behind that light weight simplicity still amazes me. 

JP

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Minelab still is that “much better company” they often go above and beyond on repairs and getting things sorted for people, even in some cases long after the warranty has expired.

JP

I can vouch for what JP states here from personal experience. Back in November 2008 (I just looked at the receipt, damn time flies), I purchased a 4500 from Steve, his personal machine which left his office in Alaska in working condition, sadly after several trips to the gold fields it became apparent it was not working properly. Knowing it was out of warranty and having nothing to lose, I cracked it open as I could hear stuff floating around inside.... white vibration dampening material and a couple solder balls had broken free in the trip from Alaska to the BC gold fields where I was at the time, the components now being loose on the board and solder floating around caused MASSIVE noise and made it unusable. In the 4th pic you can see a short piece of loose wire etc. It also had some issues with a brown substance that appeared to be possibly leaking caps causing RF leakage issues or solder paste splatter from the flow solder process, you can see one solder ball loose on the board. Overall, as you can see by all the photos, it was a mess, components barely on the board etc and probably never should have left the factory.... but it did and it worked great for Steve and he had no idea of the issues.

I discussed it on a forum we were all on at the time, both JP and Steve helped make Minelab aware of it, I drove it to Seattle on my next trip down (I was commuting between Vancouver, BC and Seattle for Boeing at the time) and sent it to Vegas where Minelab was at the time and it was covered 100%. This item was WAAAAAAAAAAAAY outside warranty, I'd opened it up and shown pictures of my opening it.. clearly they had EVERY reason to justifiably say nick off.... but they didn't.... they were GREAT.. now granted I had some pretty heavy knee cappers standing behind me holding bats in the form of Steve and JP but I was VERY impressed by the way this was handled.... and I've never looked back on being a Minelab owner since then and never will... they will ALWAYS be my NUMBER 1 choice for detector gear, gold or otherwise.

Including most of the photos for those interested in what it looks like inside of a GPX machine but are too smart to take yours apart like I did.. LOL

This was a fluke.... probably the first machine of the day on a solder flow table that wasn't up to full temp yet... the takeaway here is... Minelab owned it, without even TRYING to make excuses or say it was out of warranty for time or opening issues.... and I have rewarded that many times in subsequent purchases and will forever be indebted to both Steve and JP for helping me get this visible to the right people in the firm.

Jen

DSC00481.jpeg

DSC00479.jpeg

DSC00476.jpeg

DSC00474.jpeg

DSC00470.jpeg

DSC00469.jpeg

DSC00468.jpeg

DSC00467.jpeg

DSC00466.jpeg

DSC00465.jpeg

DSC00463.jpeg

DSC00462.jpeg

DSC00461.jpeg

DSC00460.jpeg

DSC00459.jpeg

DSC00458.jpeg

DSC00457.jpeg

DSC00456.jpeg

DSC00454.jpeg

DSC00452.jpeg

DSC00450.jpeg

DSC00447.jpeg

DSC00446.jpeg

DSC00445.jpeg

DSC00442.jpeg

DSC00440.jpeg

DSC00439.jpeg

DSC00438.jpeg

DSC00433.jpeg

DSC00431.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 12:04 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

I do not advise using zero threshold in the Manual modes, Minelab engineers put a lot of thought and design into the Auto modes so there is a lot more going on under the hood than just turning the Threshold off.

JP

Thanks JP, appreciate the response..... great point re man vs aut, I'll have to give it a go more in the auto settings and see how it does.. . feel free to augment your post after watching the vid if you have anything else to add, your opinion is always important to myself and others I'm sure.

Jen

To fill in a missing detail on Jennifer’s saga, I did sell her my used GPX 4500. It worked perfectly for me, but there was a recall out at that time for the 4500 regarding a circuit board issue. I thought I was doing a good thing sending it in under the recall before selling it used, as I sold it to Jennifer with fresh paperwork stating Minelab had just serviced the detector, and given it a thumbs up. I never used it after it was serviced, assuming that it was now ok to sell. The irony here is it was that repair work that left the solder bits in the control box. In retrospect it would have been better if it had never been serviced. Puts new meaning in “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it.”

• Like 7