Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

15 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

..........I do not use the speaker nor the ML Bluetooth, but use the Quest Mate WiFi system and Bose noise cancelling earbuds or the Bauhn n/c headphones. This set up works for me and gives me a great stable machine.

Reg where do you mount the Quest Tx unit?

16 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Well my luck still holds out.

When I bought my GPZ (one of the first cabs off the rank) my machine was perfect and paid for itself within a couple of weeks, my best find being a 27oz lump found a couple of years later.

Upon cranking up the 6000 it also purred like a kitten finding gold within hours of use. No EMI problems at all that I was expecting to occur due to reports that I had read. Now after using it for a couple of months I feel more familiar with the settings. So far no bigger gold, but boy oh boy is it dynamite on small colours, and so light and well balanced. In a few months when our hot Aussie summer wanes I shall really give it some work.

I do not use the speaker nor the ML Bluetooth, but use the Quest Mate WiFi system and Bose noise cancelling earbuds or the Bauhn n/c headphones. This set up works for me and gives me a great stable machine. Can't believe how deep some of the very small targets are.

Good to see you posting again Reg, I missed you. :smile: Happy New Year, and may your pockets fill with gold in 2022!

Guest Just Dave

Excuse my sarcasm. But it's an 8k top of the GPX range detector. And if you get one that switches on, you have to buy $200+ wifi and headphone setup, in order for it to be usable? (according to Reg, JP and others). I don't remember reading that in the promo material??🤨

If there was competition it wouldn't be an 8k detector but while there is absolutely no competition they can charge what they like for their gold detectors and they will still sell like crazy.   The few other prospecting PI detectors on the market have such insignifant user bases to threaten Minelabs pricing structure. 

I'm wondering if they've resolved the manufacturing issue now as I'm not seeing the regular new buyers reporting faulty units I was seeing earlier. The odd one now might be older stock.   

I'd decided I don't need a 6000 but may still get one sometime this year, especially once aftermarket coils hit the market, hopefully by then any manufacturing issues are resolved. 

Its hard to resist. 

Thankfully my 6000 has not had any issues. Good luck to those that have had problems. 

7 hours ago, Just Dave said:

you have to buy $200+ wifi and headphone setup

Not quite.  If you like using headphones then the supplied headphones are quite good, really good even. 

But, if you want to use your own headphones or earbuds or speakers that aren’t Low Latency Bluetooth, that’s when you have to look into alternatives. 

Reg likes his noise cancelling headphones thus the need for an alternative send/receive unit.  

The speaker attached to the unit would have been far better positioned on the screen unit like the Equinox is.  Perhaps that couldn’t be done  🤷‍♂️  

• Like 1

Guest Just Dave
21 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Not quite.  If you like using headphones then the supplied headphones are quite good, really good even. 

But, if you want to use your own headphones or earbuds or speakers that aren’t Low Latency Bluetooth, that’s when you have to look into alternatives. 

Reg likes his noise cancelling headphones thus the need for an alternative send/receive unit.  

The speaker attached to the unit would have been far better positioned on the screen unit like the Equinox is.  Perhaps that couldn’t be done  🤷‍♂️  

Fair enough, (why bother with installing a speaker if it just interferes, was my thought also) so just gotta hope you get a good one then?

Guest Just Dave
1 hour ago, phrunt said:

If there was competition it wouldn't be an 8k detector but while there is absolutely no competition they can charge what they like for their gold detectors and they will still sell like crazy.   

Doesn't say a lot about ML's treatment of it's customers, and it's abuse of brand loyalty with poor quality....just saying.

32 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Doesn't say a lot about ML's treatment of it's customers, and it's abuse of brand loyalty with poor quality....just saying.

Just Dave, I believe you use another brand of PI which is totally fine. I like that detector too. However at least in the USA, the GPX 6000 is $6000 or less depending on a buyer being able to use Minelab's US military 15% discount. Also, Minelab have bent over backwards to take care of US buyers that have had problems with their GPX 6000 that were legitimate quality control issues from the factory or that developed after purchase.

I have purchased several detectors this year. One from Minelab and three from manufacturers which included QED. I have had problems with all three manufacturers products (not Minelab by the way) and needed repair or customer support to sort them out. So lowered quality control is not just limited to Minelab. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Dave said:

why bother with installing a speaker if it just interferes

Yep, agree with that.  When using a scoop to narrow down a target the speaker is also at the very other end of the detector and facing away from you which is not ideal.   

Coupled with the fact that I (and I assume others) run my GPX6 volume much lower than I run the Equinox, the problem is compounded a bit.  

I think all manufacturers have equipment failures, hardware and software, right out of the box.  Non of it is intentional and I am sure if they could avoid any they would.  

An SDC 2300 eventually had an issue, but Minelab fixed it straight away.  My QED had a broken foot mount (3D printed) straight out of the box, but as soon as Howard knew he replaced it.  

As annoying as it is, all we can ask for is things to be fixed ASAP and to encourage better quality control in the future.  

Steve H wrote on DP Forum "And one thing I know about Minelab, is the V2 version of anything is the one to die for".  Quite likely though that GPX6000 version 2 will have all of these things ironed out.  I was happy to jump in and be a first adopter knowing full well that any major concerns would be fixed by Minelab.  Certainly haven't been disappointed with performance 👍

Edited by Northeast
Fixed the quote.
  • Like 4