Hi Gang From Northern Minnesota......

michaelgolden

Hi Everyone, 

I have been reading posts on these forums for quite awhile without posting, while looking for info on gold prospecting and metal detecting in general. This website has been a great resource even for a experienced prospector and detectorist like myself. I am looking forward future exchanges with all of the very interesting folks that contribute here.

Best,

Michael

• Like 4

Michael,

Welcome to the forum and glad that you are here!

What type of detector do you use, and how long have you been detecting?

I will be reading some of your posts with interest and would love to see some photos of your finds.

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Michael  . 

You already know all of us , let us know more about you and your hunts and gear.

Basically , just jump right in and have fun.

We love pics ,,,,, (and maps with an X on 'em somewhere !)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the hearty welcome everyone! Sorry to take so long to get back to your responses but with winter coming soon in the northland I have been quite busy. In regards to the question about which metal detectors I use.... I am a  big fan of fisher and nokta makro. My favorites right now are the Fisher F-19 and the Nokta Simplex plus. Found a lot of gold with the Fisher last winter and spring in California and Arizona. Mostly small gold but a lot of it! Love the iron bias controls on the fisher. I use the simplex mainly for water hunting as its waterproof but I have found that with the 6x9 in coil it is much more sensitive and can be used for gold prospecting too. The fisher is excellent for relic hunting too with the 6x10 in coil and using it in discrimination mode I can can hunt trashy areas with lots iron and junk aluminium and not get frustrated and still find the goods. I have prospect and metal detected in many of the states out west and had pretty good luck over the years. I tend to concentrate on fine gold as opposed to course gold or larger gold nuggets as in lot of the areas I have prospected the course gold has been cleaned out but not too many prospectors bother with fine gold deposits.  In Northern Minnesota where I reside there are  a lot rivers  where you can find quartz with gold flake that were left from glaciers  during the last ice age. Below are a few pictures of gold and relics I found this year.

Best, Michael

20211005_212828.jpg

20210808_143908.jpg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

Great hunting, and yes I am jealous.

I can't wait to go to the gold fields and find some of the good stuff.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Wow!!🤯, that's "fine" gold?? Put those flakes in a bowl, and I'll grab the milk and spoon!!😂👍👍

• Haha 2

Welcome, Michael!  I take it you are busy winterizing things there in MN, getting ready to head West for a few months.  Hope you enjoy both the upcoming weather and especially the detecting & prospecting!

You hit it on the head GB _Amateur! Yep, Been pretty busy getting the homestead ready for the long Mn winter. and I am also planning some long  detecting and prospecting trips this winter to AZ and California where unlike here you can find unfrozen ground!  😁😁😁

Joe D.  I might be pushing the definition of fine gold a little far with that photo...Some of that gold is larger then 1/4 in. screen or bigger then 1/4 in. in size and might be considered to be small nuggets.   but most is less than 1/16 in. screen.  The weight of that pile of gold is about 6 grams. Best, Michael

• Like 3

Hi Michael, welcome. What area in northern Mn do you reside? Wife and I grew up in Moorhead, but vacation there annually. I, and 3 grown sons, for a number of years now visit Arnesens's on Lake Of The Woods, the first week of June, walleye fishing.

Nice gold and eagle button! iHH jim tn