Why Do We Chase Gold?

Well Gerry I think the only thing you've missed and the main reason we hunt gold is simply we are a wee sun touched. Too much time out under the sun, right now that suns first morning rays are breaking and it's time to get up fire up the generator and get that morning expresso in hand and quietly watch that sun rise.  Well that's my excuse.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Maybe it's the solitude of being out in the middle of nowhere and not having to listen to the constant hustle and bustle of everyday life?  Being the only person on the side of a mountain and all you hear is sounds of nature around you?  

Enjoyed coin shooting for 26yrs focusing on older coins and for living in the youngest area(s) of the U.S. I've dug a pretty fair collection of Morgans, seated, barber, mercs, LC, IH's, V's, buffies, etc. etc.  It finally got to where I hated trips to the city, people calling cops, sirens, traffic, people asking questions, people cussing you, dogs barking, etc. that I burned out on it.  Always been a loner avoiding the crowd and my hobbies have been solitary things like trapping, shed hunting, trail cams (trapping without the hard work, blood and guts), cutting wood, hiking into the back country, etc.  Always wanted to chase gold but never had the opportunity until recently when a guy said he was a prospector and would take me up to his claim and show me around, etc.  Digging, sluicing, classifying, panning was fun until the fucking Forest Service came along and told me ALL the stuff I couldn't do and that pissed me off and I said to self...that's it I'm going to use a detector from now on....and damn glad I switched so in the end the FS actually helped me with their crap....lol

that's my story......

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hunting gold takes me to beautiful places I would not otherwise visit. I love the history, the geology, the adventure, the solitude and thrill of finding gold. I also enjoy the friends I make and the knowledge we share. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Randy Lunn said:

Hunting gold takes me to beautiful places I would not otherwise visit. I love the history, the geology, the adventure, the solitude and thrill of finding gold. I also enjoy the friends I make and the knowledge we share. 

Perfectly said, Randy! Hope to see you at Gold Basin in 4 weeks 🤠

• Like 2

For me when I started hunting gold with my grandfather, I found that when I was out there either panning or sluicing that I had no worries in the world.

I believe that most of us will agree that when we do something we like there is no better feeling.

I am just learning to metal detect for gold, and can't wait to be able to get out there to do it. Should I not be able to find it with a metal detector I will simply go back to one of my sluices or just start panning again in the local creeks.

I will admit that I enjoy coin hunting with my detector and can/have hunt for several hours without any breaks.

It seems that when I am out there and in the zone/hunt there is nothing that can be more relaxing.

Hope this helps explain why I am out there every chance I get.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

All of the above plus trying to figure out where Mother Nature has hidden the stuff and, occasionally, getting it right.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

What's your excuse and some reasons as I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts?

Certainly, for all the reasons you mentioned. Then, sometimes, I think there is strong physiology at play for to certain brains. I think it works similar to the same pathways as seen in gambling. Random reward systems can have a powerful dopaminergic/norepinephrinergic effect on us. Add to it the human inclination to look for patterns everywhere (even when there may be none) and the fact that experience and knowledge increase your odds. There are some powerful biological forces at play.

For fun only, here are the DSM 5 criteria with the word gambling replaced with “gold finding” and other similar minor word substitutions.

Gold-finding Disorder

A. Persistent and recurrent problematic gold seeking behavior leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as indicated by the individual exhibiting four (or more) of the following in a 12­ month period:
a. Needs to find gold with increasing expenditure of money in order to achieve the desired excitement.
b. Is restless or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop finding gold.
c. Has made repeated unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop finding gold.
d. Is often preoccupied with finding gold (e.g., having persistent thoughts of reliving past gold-finding
experiences, handicapping or planning the next venture, thinking of ways to get money with
which to find gold).
e. Often seeks gold when feeling distressed (e.g., helpless, guilty, anxious, depressed).
f. After losing money prospecting, often returns another day to get even (“chasing” one’s losses).
g. Lies to conceal the extent of involvement with found gold.
h. Has jeopardized or lost a significant relationship, job, or educational or career opportunity
because of seeking gold.
i. Relies on others to provide money to relieve desperate financial situations caused by seeking gold.

B. The gold-finding behavior is not better explained by a manic episode.
Specify if:
Episodic: Meeting diagnostic criteria at more than one time point, with symptoms subsiding between periods of gold-finding disorder for at least several months.
Persistent: Experiencing continuous symptoms, to meet diagnostic criteria for multiple years.
Specify if:
In early remission: After full criteria for gold-finding disorder were previously met, none of the criteria for gold-finding disorder have been met for at least 3 months but for less than 12 months.
In sustained remission: After full criteria for gold-finding disorder were previously met, none of the criteria for gold-finding disorder have been met during a period of 12 months or longer.
Specify current severity:
Mild: 4–5 criteria met.
Moderate: 6–7 criteria met.
Severe: 8–9 criteria met.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2