Charging The Gpx-6000 In A 1/2 Ton Truck Or A Car/van?

Newbie here.  So I'm getting ready to train my customers at Rye Patch, NV and many will have their new GPX-6000's.  Here is my question for those of you who have learned.

Yes I've seen the video with the gator clips to a 12V vehicle battery, but what they don't say is for how long does it typically take?  Will it run a battery down in the winter cold of NV?

We'll be out there off the grid for 3 day and some of us much longer.  I'd like to get those have already figured out the timing and or a new way of charging the battery.

Funny thing is my 1 Ton diesel can charge my GPZ-7000 and my Equinox 800 with no issues and even when the truck is turned off.  I just plug into the outlets provided inside the truck dash.  My 1/2 ton gas truck only charges when the truck is running and as soon as I turn it off, all chargers go off as well.

Your help is needed so I can try and prepare my customers.

This salty dog is still learning new tricks on the GPX-6000... with your help that is.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I use the Gator Clips to charge my 7000 & 6000 batteries.  7000, doesn’t take as long as the 6000 to charge.  But, I leave them on my trucks battery over night charging.  How long does it take?  But, it ready roll with a full charge in the morning.  I do have 2 batteries for each detector.

Rick

• Like 1

Gerry, there are a couple options you could use. A 100w or 200w solar panel would keep your truck battery topped off if it is parked the whole time you are camping and will accommodate detector charging or running a small portable refrigerator for a couple days…. I put in a two-battery system on my truck and use a folding 100w suitcase solar charger around camp. There are many different solar panel brands out there, just be sure to consider getting a deep cycle for the second battery you are charging from as it will allow for more charging cycles.

• Like 2

Sounds like your smaller truck has a switched 12v that turns off with the ignition.

My last trip to NNV I brought a solar panel and battery bank. It kept both the GPX and EQ800 charged, plus my phone. Still took about 6-8 hrs to charge but at least it left my truck and camper batteries alone. I would recommend this since it leaves less chance of draining a weak vehicle battery. Nothing worse than a no start situation when you are the only person in a 50 mile radius. At a popular spot like Rye Patch this will be less of an issue though!

One other thing to consider is starting batteries don't like being drained down. Deep cycle batteries are fine with it. So if you end up with dual battery system or decide to bring a second battery, a deep cycle is the way to go.

• Like 3

Gerry, if you do decide to go with a dual battery setup for your truck and want to DIY- all you need are battery cables and a automatic charging relay which will keep both topped off when your truck is running, then attach the solar charger to the second battery in camp and use it for charging the detectors or other items- that way your main battery will always be full.  The Blue Seas ACR’s are marine grade, here is the model I put in my truck- If you do install it all you need to connect are the two batteries and the single ground (from the middle terminals), the LED and ignition isolation pins don’t need to be connected:

Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charging Relays (ACRs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OTIPDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_75WY5FKHAG7VWT2M8JKM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Below is some information that will give you some answers that I posted on another forum way back.    .....Direct Battery link.....

....Link to post....

In your situation I would put an extra fused socket directly to the battery that would allow you to use accessories without having to have the ignition on as the capacity of the ML batteries is small compared to the truck battery by many times.   

Beware of the figures advertises quote they are correct but not what the layman might think is appropriate for his use.

SPECIFICATION
ROOBOOST RB-2000 is the lightest, most powerful car jump starter to jumpstart 12v cars up to 20 times.

Product Name: Jump Starter & Power Bank
Model: RB-2000
Internal Battery: Lithium Ion
Capacity: 20000mAh (74Wh)
Suitable for Vehicles: Up to 10.0L Petrol and 8.0L Diesel
Start Voltage: 12V
Start Current: 1000Amp
Peak Current: 2000Amp

Note the Lithium ion Ah rating would be close to 6 Ah for 74 Wh where as the Lead Acid is 85 Ah giving over 1000 Wh

Yuasa’s SUV, 4x4 & Light Commercial batteries are designed and built tough using robust internal components and advanced manufacturing processes to withstand the challenges of Australia's extreme conditions.Calcium technology for superior starting power. Full frame cast plates for improved strength and durability. Reduced self-discharge for improved battery life

SPECIFICATIONS
Chemistry Lead Acid .... Volt 12 .... Ah  85 .... CCA 720 ....   RC  160 ....  
Note

A good link on Batteries. ....Battery LINK....
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html
  • Like 1

Gerry, 

I'll be staying in a Winnemucca RV park with full hookups and can charge a few batteries for the class.

Bill

• Like 3

This won’t be much help answering about charging with your vehicle, I use a Honda generator to charge out in the field. The 6000 batteries take forever to charge and if you have two batteries as I would assume most will eventually have, well be prepared to wait. I did a little digging into my electronics parts box and found an old netgear power supply that was 12v and this ones output was 3.5 amps (the factory one is 1.0amp the battery will only use what is needed) with both the plugs size and polarity matching the factory 6000 battery charger. Doing a little research the important points are that the voltage matches, the plug is the same size and type, the polarity +/- are the same and that the output amps are equal to or greater than the original power supply/charger, more amps is fine as long as the voltage is the same. Using the old netgear power supply to charge my second battery works exactly like the one supplied with the 6000 and takes the same time with no issues.

• Like 2

I have been curious about this myself. My Tacoma won't charge from the cigarette lighter socket without the truck running as well. I am trying to figure out if I should get a gas generator or a gas/propane generator or a solar generator. I am leaning away from the solar an more towards a regular generator with one or two deep cycle batteries as I will need to charge three detectors, GoPro/Canon batteries, computer, 2 phones, and a portable dual zone fridge/freezer. I will be living out of my Tacoma all this winter and next spring and Summer. I am not savy to all this electrical/ power consumption stuff. I am looking at  two thousand watt generator. I want to get away from running my Tacoma in order to charge my detectors.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

I have been curious about this myself. My Tacoma won't charge from the cigarette lighter socket without the truck running as well. I am trying to figure out if I should get a gas generator or a gas/propane generator or a solar generator. I am leaning away from the solar an more towards a regular generator with one or two deep cycle batteries as I will need to charge three detectors, GoPro/Canon batteries, computer, 2 phones, and a portable dual zone fridge/freezer. I will be living out of my Tacoma all this winter and next spring and Summer. I am not savy to all this electrical/ power consumption stuff. I am looking at  two thousand watt generator. I want to get away from running my Tacoma in order to charge my detectors.

I have a 2017 Tacoma as well.  I run my refrigerator as described earlier.  Yours will require the most power of all the devices you listed.  If you want that to run continuously day and night, you will need batteries that can keep up and a way to recharge them. For starters to determine the minimal battery capacity, what is the peak power consumption rating of your refrigerator?

• Like 1