Breaking News: Update On 40 Year Search For Gold Ring!

Congratulations!!! Is the band broken?? That would also make it a lot harder to find especially with older technology.

Some more pics and pics of more junk I took out recently. I want to also say that the Tesoro silver would never have found this ring. It just couldn’t punch down deep enough, if I set it On “iron it will only hit this ring down to about 4-5 inches as you can see from the pinpointed in the hole it was probably 9-10 inches deep. Happy to answer any questions. The football pic is of me in 1976, if you look close at my hand on the middle finger is the ring.

6BAB8BA6-1FB9-434B-BDAD-74D51B95661F.jpeg

FB9DBEE9-F5B5-4381-9E24-266C2CE335B3.jpeg

39B6629C-0947-4537-948E-BB119BA320E0.jpeg

9E95A261-A816-43E3-AA11-830DC3D30BA1.jpeg

CBC822C1-8905-4184-B28E-D90270103E70.jpeg

21C97C20-F817-4042-A1C8-F78CFDADBD09.jpeg

0D57186F-2276-4F67-B6F3-5BF83B87159D.jpeg

D1AEA00B-8D37-4ED7-9AB9-1DB51105F3E9.jpeg

F6787127-BD17-45E3-81D4-6CC7AC176D71.jpeg

AC77FB5A-1252-4027-9A53-75B2713CA91B.jpeg

E97D34CF-4C9D-470F-AD1D-71FB0B0EC6F0.jpeg

• Like 4

Yes Hardnox, it is broken and was very thin because if I remember correctly it was stretched to a bigger size that made it extra thin and I remember it was bent slight 40 years ago, I guess over time somehow it broke in the ground.

• Like 1

So glad you found it. Any of those coins of interest? Lost one of my rings a few days ago and found it in about 5 minutes with the Equinox. Perseverance pays off. 👍

Great job, Hibernia1776.  You did it!

It just goes to show how hard it can be for a detectorist to find an object on a site that we know is there, let alone when we’re trying to find something without prior knowledge of it. 

The iron and other junk can mask the signal if interest, making it very difficult to determine whether to dig or not.

Plus, the detector technology has improved over the years making it possible to detect in junk laden areas, and still find objects of interest.  You witnessed that effect first hand.  

Congrats!  I hope you will enjoy detecting other places now that you know detecting can be rewarding in lots of ways.  It’s a great hobby,

No 350platinum they are just pennies and a dime or two, the one at the top is a token from showbiz pizza place, chuckie cheese bought them out and turned them into chuckie cheeses years ago, they were the original pizza place. I remember going there and playing arcade games around 82-83 so that find kind of gave me a little hope because the ring was lost around that time, I figured if I could find that token that I could find the ring.

• Like 2

That's awesome! I'm so happy for you. What a great story, would you mind if I submit that to my metal detecting club for their newsletter with a few pictures? I think everyone could use an uplifting story of perseverence paying off. 🙂

• Like 3

I don’t mind at all, go ahead and use....a man who walks his dog and had seen me out there digging many times works for the local newspaper and said he was going to see about printing the story and would I go on local news. I told them Inprobabaly would t want to be on the news but paper I don’t mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Breaking News: Update On 40 Year Search For Gold Ring!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Erik Oostra
      First gold ring with PulseDive
      I’ve spent the last month extending my search underwater.. I’ve been using two small pony bottles which give me about 50 bars of air (the reserve of a 12 litre tank).. This lasts me about 20 minutes at 4-5 metres and to refill the little tanks takes about two hours with a small 12 volts scuba compressor (it overheats quickly even with a large fan on it).. This might sound like a waste of time and in many ways it is.. That’s why I’m saving up for a PotraHookah, which will give me 4 hours at a maximum of 10 metres, with a 4 hour battery recharge time (small lithium battery).. 
      I’ve already found a lot of coins and even more bottle tops and other crap, that’s the beauty of a dig it all detector.. The ring was buried about 1’’ deep and gave off a weak signal which I nearly ignored as just more crap.. I guess I still have to put in a bit more time on the PulseDive to get in tune with it.. I don’t really mind learning the nuances of another detector as it’s a great pleasure to be back underwater, this time to combine two interests.. I’ve been scuba diving since 1986 when I got my FAUI diving licence and a PADI instructor since 1996.. I stopped logging hours underwater at 3500 hours, and that was about a decade ago.. 
      The PulseDIve has turned out to be a great detector, especially with the 8” coil.. I just wish they made an even bigger coil for it.. I’ve thought about the Seahunter with a 14x10” coil but if I’m going to save up for a PortaHookha that’ll be a long way in the future, as they cost AU$ 1400.. In the meantime I’m sure the PulseDive will prove value for money, if only in terms of sheer enjoyment!

• By Steelheader
      I got a gold testing kit and tested the gold chain.  It’s a fake.  Talk about a letdown 😪.

Found this today in the grass at a Park.  I was using my Equinox 800.  This is the best thing that I have ever found metal detecting.  It weighs 43.5 grams and is marked 18K.

• By Againstmywill
      Rang in a solid 28, so I had a good idea it was going to be a ring. The field has a TON of trash that rings up in the 20's... mostly buried aluminum can pieces and random car parts. There are large power lines that cause interference with the wireless module which causes it to drop out a lot if I am walking in a certain direction. If I turn around, the issue goes away.
      Equinox 15", all metal, Park 1, 7 recovery

• By Againstmywill
      While at a local park, this rang in a 31 on the Equinox in Park 1, so I knew it was either a silver ring or a couple quarters stacked. Anyone able to identify the maker's mark or tell me anything about it? Thanks for the help! I believe this is the first silver ring the Coiltek has found.

• By Joe Beechnut OBN
      Back to a spot I've been working the last few weeks. This trip it gave up a couple more golds, 10k 1935 Class ring and a 14k wedding band. Then 3 silver crusty coins and one "P" nickel.. (which I do not count as silver)........ I was able to Opened the brass compact, Very surprised to see a 1911 Barber dime and a ticket inside. The dime is as detailed as the day it was lost, saved by what ever was in the compact stamped " Woodward and Lothrop " The ticket does have some faint writing, can't make it out other then some numbers.
      Going to be interesting, I was able to mark off this location with a stray crab pot. See if it worked the next trip back. Winds and tides are going to be crazy for several days, so I'll be surprised if all is where I left it. This beach has one little Hot area, I've tried using land markers but it still takes me a hour or more to find it since it is so small and I am a ways off shore. The spot sure holds the right targets and they can only be heard if your moving slow. I had planned on taking the Fisher "AQ", never worked out, one side of "My skullies"' headphones was acting up so I ended up using the Excalibur. Hope to get back out after the 8th, can't wait!

• By Joe Beechnut OBN
      A friend took me out on his boat Friday in search of Gold and Silver at a spot that is very hard to get too. Fours hours and all I had was several silvers but I could smell the gold.. It was close...just never found it.... Saturday I forced myself to get out of bed and go in search of that yellow stuff again (alone this time). Different beach...Water was calm.. and the tides were not the best but being what they were it forced me to hunt in the right spot.  Not a lot of targets but got into a little area I could feel it again, then about 16 inches down, out came a 12 gram 10k gold. Hunted for a while longer, then as I was walking in, "out of the blue" I got another signal. Out came a 5.8 gram X10k. Old stamp.. Final total (both hunts) 7 hours,... 2 10k golds, 13 Silvers. I've had a very "Blessed" week, 5 gold rings total (30.58 grams of gold) , 24 Silver coins..in 4 hunts, about 16 hours. Three different beaches. Winds and Tides are off this week, then that crazy day light savings time is coming.😒
      Both John and I had a good time, and interesting, I had a chance to see how well the Nox 800 with stock coil did against my 10 inch coil Stealth Excalibur. In short, I have nothing to worry about from the Nox's. No doubt the best machine to have on fresh drop beaches, but when the targets are very deep, I'm not even sure the 15 inch coil on the Nox would help.
      Wish I could get back to the one spot, the AQ would kill that place I believe, Here...when you digging a lot of silver.. the gold is right there with it. It was just to deep for the Excalibur at the first spot.
      Good Luck to everyone out there and Be Safe!