Whites TDI Pro And Detech Coil

Rege-PA

Today I sold a Whites TDI pro to a customer, we set it up and turned it on with the stock coil and did a few air tests.

He heard that Minelab coils would work and other PI series coils. I suggested we try some Detech coils with the following results. The new 14in Mono Spiral wound ran quieter and air tested a little deeper on coins than the stock dual field.

The little 6in Detech mono was a surprise as it hard and loud on targets for its size.

When the weather gets better we are going to try a variety of the Detech coils and see which are worth having for the TDI, outdoors with more realistic buried targets. I`ll post what we find out.

• Like 3

I spoke to Pete the Australian distributor for Detech a few weeks ago, and he said he tried the 14" Ultra on the Whites SPP, and said that it performed very well. Any Aussies wanting to know more should get in touch with him. 

Detech actually makes coils specifically for the TDI. We just tried the newer 14in Spiral and it appeared to perform better than the stock offering.  Does the TDI SL have the same coil as the Pro?  If so would probably work.

Only bet would be to try one at some time before buying.

All Mono's from Nuggetfinder and Detech fare much better than the TDI stock coil. It's a rather dull one.

Looking forward to hearing how the Ultra Sensing coil works the ground as well as the signal response to your targets when you get them outside.

I also have just bought a TDI Pro that came with the stocK 12'' DF and 7.5'' DF coils,but i wont be using them as i am looking for extra depth in relationship to hoard hunting for any decent artifact but especially for one site that i have permission on it has produced 20 Celtic gold staters in a very tight radius,this indicates the chances of finding a hoard rather than say a purse drop.

Also have bought 3 new additional coils these being the Coiltek 14''x9'' Goldstalker Mono,15''x12'' Commander Mono,and a Detech 18'' Mono,i wont be looking for small gold nuggets as i am based in the UK and we dont have gold fields but we do have some stunning gold artifacts and coins going back possibly 1000s of years.

The Coiltek 14x9 coil will be replacing the DF coil as the stock coil as its not only lighter but i am finding it sharper on targets and a little deeper,infact its a very nice combination to swing for a all day detecting session,if i am then looking to go slightly deeper in my quest for artifacts or hoards,then the Commander coil will be the weapon of choice,it will be deeper and still be reasonably light,although i would think it would need a harness if used for greater time durations,but initial testing it is looking like a good detector/coil combination.

Then we get onto the BIG fella the Detech 18'' coil,must admit when i bought it from a closing down sale i took into account the cost/usage/reward ratio into account,the reason being these coils can sit idle in a corder gathering dust for a long period of time as its not your everyday use coil,but the cheap closing down price ticked my purchasing decision,was expecting it to be a real heavy bruiser of a coil,but when it arrived i was amazed how light it was,but as it is a Mono then i guess you dont require double the amount of heavy wire as in a DD coil.

Over time and as i get use to using the TDI Pro i will giv e some honest feedback on these 3 coil combinations,2 of the coils will be used alot especially the Coiltek one,must admit i am really pleased with that coil,its a pure pleasure to use,but its still early days and as the weather is turning for the better,then more detecting sessions will come along.

Happy Hunting

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 2/27/2016 at 5:05 AM, RickUK said:

Over time and as i get use to using the TDI Pro i will giv e some honest feedback on these 3 coil combinations,2 of the coils will be used alot especially the Coiltek one,must admit i am really pleased with that coil,its a pure pleasure to use,but its still early days and as the weather is turning for the better,then more detecting sessions will come along.

Can you direct us to the feedback please as it would be of great interest I am sure and it surely must be quite comprehensive after all this time?

Regards, Roger

• 3 months later...
On 12/6/2023 at 2:20 PM, Roger said:

Can you direct us to the feedback please as it would be of great interest I am sure and it surely must be quite comprehensive after all this time?

Regards, Roger

I just ordered and detech 11 ultra sensing spiral mono. I’m going to test it out on the old big box TDI. I was going to use it for some gold but try it out in the deep relic fields too. I’m hoping it will do well on sub gram nugs. I dug some pretty small lead with it when relic hunting. I found quite a bit of tiny pieces of camp lead and small buckshots at a descent depth. Many a better coil will make this coil more effective. Also