Received my catalog from Kellyco today and they proudly announced that they are looking forward to offering the Fisher Impulse AQ in 2022.  The write up that Kellyco gave made it sound like there was substantial discrimination with minimal loss of detection depth with the AQ.  We shall see.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

Did it mention the Impulse Gold? perhaps that is a 2023+ release?

• Haha 1

Simon,

Yes they did mention that the AQ Gold and the AQ Relic machine will follow, but they gave no indication of when.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The_Stalker said:

Received my catalog from Kellyco today and they proudly announced that they are looking forward to offering the Fisher Impulse AQ in 2022.  The write up that Kellyco gave made it sound like there was substantial discrimination with minimal loss of detection depth with the AQ.  We shall see.

They once said the "The Easter Bunny" would be here on Christmas. I cried. The end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Don't believe anything that Smellyco tells you. They will do anything to hook you in. Their sales people must be working on commission. They outright lied to me enough times that I finally said never again. There are lots of good honest detector stores out there that will give you just as good a deal. You know you're at the right place when the store owner answers the phone.

• Like 4

I’m still interested in the Impulse Gold version, as for my purposes the lack of adjustable ground balance in the AQ model was a fail. Long story short my GPX 6000 can’t handle certain hot rocks, and I’d rather find some alternative other than the ATX or GPX 5000 to deal with that issue. It’s a minor problem for me, so I can afford to wait for something new.

This would be the first official mention of an AQ Relic model, as no such model has made it to this page yet…..

https://fisher-impulse.com/products/

AQ Relic would be an odd name, as Impulse AQ is for Impulse AQua, and we have the Impulse Gold, so Impulse Relic makes more sense. So I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

DCC94615-DFC3-421C-8D2E-254D5170F739.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/23/2021 at 12:48 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

If FT and company persist in overstating the discrimination capabilities of the AQ no good will come of it, but that’s not my problem I guess. From a new article on the Kellyco website, no doubt timed in tandem with the new catalog:

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/pages/new-tech-feature-fisher-impulse-aq/

"What makes the Impulse AQ different? Unlike all other pulse induction units, the Impulse AQ has actual target discrimination and target ID. The Impulse AQ uses ZTS (Zero Target Separation) technology to eliminate the need for recovery speed. Instead of separating good and bad targets, the Impulse AQ sees through iron and detects the good targets next to, in, and under the iron."

Target ID? Really? Even overlooking that as an error, I've found the discrimination capabilities of this detector to be oversold since day one. In practice it is little different from previous ground balancing PI detectors like the TDI as far as discrimination capabilities go, and ultimately one is left to rely on the same old PI audio tells to deal with problematic items like hair pins. I really like the AQ as a powerful, very refined PI, but if they keep overselling the discrimination as a defining feature, it will result in blowback. Yeah, sure, it will snag some early sales, but it will cost them sales later. Anyone buying this as the long awaited discriminating PI so many have wanted will be pissed off, plain and simple, and quite likely to make a big deal about it. Typical short-sighted marketing move. Me, I prefer the undersell and overdeliver approach, letting machines prove themselves to new users. The current approach is a setup for failure.

I seriously like the Impulse AQ I had as far as how it performed. If it had been the finished version, instead of a prototype, I would have kept it. As it is, I've decided that a version with an adjustable ground balance would serve me better, and that is in large part due to the fact that I found the so-called discrimination to be marginally helpful at best. I could discriminate by ear just as well with a model that has an adjustable ground balance, while getting a better ground balance on my soil, and certainly better hot rock handling. I'd rather have a gold prospecting PI I can use at a fresh water beach, than a beach detector that does not work at all for prospecting. People should note however, that a gold prospecting version will likely not work well if at all on saltwater beaches, as such a model will probably be tuned for tiny nuggets, and therefore salt sensitive. But who knows. The Impulse Gold may have a salt mode, and in fact really should, or they will have problems in Nevada alkali ground and Oz salt lakes. Long story short most of my water detecting is in fresh water, so not an issue for me in that regard.

GB a must for relic hunting in bad ground.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 11:48 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Target ID? Really? Even overlooking that as an error, I've found the discrimination capabilities of this detector to be oversold since day one.

With any release of the AQ platform I am now from Missouri>>>> Show-Me

• Like 1