One Better Then Another?

Mick93

Wife and I both use the 800s and hunt side by side. Was at a rodeo arena and I was getting a very poor signal in tone and numbers but was an iffy high squeek and vdi of 27, 28,29.30. So was telling me possible quarter? Dug down around 15 inches , nothing on pin pointer still.   Called wife over to have her check it: Nothing, only iron grunts and vdi of 6,9,3 so on.  I went over both detectors to affirm they were set up identical!  Park 1, sen 21, speed and iron the same.  I changed hers to park 2 and upped the sen to 24 and such to no avail , no matter what, hers couldnt see what ended up being a quarter on edge in the side of my hole about 9 inches down.                                                                                                                                                           So it has me convinced that one detector may be more sensitive then the next. Has any one compared two equinox 800s on same targets in the ground ?  It doesnt really seem to matter caz she beats me on best finds 8 out of 10 times anyways!                                   

• Like 4

One thing I'd do is check that both Equinox have the same software update.  If they are different, then that could explain the performance difference you observed between the two machines!

• Like 7

Also needed to check that they were identically ground balanced (since she appeared to be picking up ground noise, sounds like her GB might have been off), have the same disc breakpoints (though sounds like you had disc off= "horseshoe mode") , and "Silent" EMI could also be an issue if they are not both set to identical noise cancellation channels.  Each mode needs to be ground balanced and noise cancelled individually.  Park 2 might have made the situation worse, but I think I know why you went there if the coin was on edge.  I would have given 4khz single freq a shot - probably your deepest setup on high conductive targets (especially edge on coins) as long as EMI was not a factor. She got nothing on her pinpointer either?  

• Like 5

They both have the latest update on software. Ground balance was the same. I believe Chase may have hit the only thing that would of been different. We usually noise cancel toward each other because that makes it so we can hunt very close to one another without any talking between the detectors. That would have been the only difference and very likely detunes one of the detectors somewhat.  Guess we will have to watch that from now on if we want deep targets!  Thanks for the response from both of you. 

• Like 4

Nice detective work fellas!!👍👍

• Like 2

I dig everything that shows in that range, don't consider it "iffy". It's been anything from a really good penny (I've seen 30s with a few, best ones have a 25 in there), a dime, silver, or a quarter. Yesterday it was 3 mangled steel tubes in the same hole, but getting junk in that range is rare. 😀 It's kinda the "sweet spot".

Glad you did the test though, and got some great advice.

• Like 1

I would also try a factory reset, I was not able to hear my tester target one day after using the same settings for a few weeks. Did a factory reset and put the same settings back in and everything was working normal again.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, NV-OR-ID-CAL-AU said:

I would also try a factory reset, I was not able to hear my tester target one day after using the same settings for a few weeks. Did a factory reset and put the same settings back in and everything was working normal again.

I feel like I've had a similar experience.  I know some do the factory reset fairly often.  Once I get my detector set the way I like it I tend to go forever without changing anything but Noise Cancel channel, Ground Balance setting, and gain, and I only change those when I notice they need to be adjusted.  (BTW, I'm talking about local hunting of parks and schools.  Special situations like private permissions, ghost towns, and native gold detecting are different beasts and then I tune accordingly.)

I don't hunt in factory preset modes.  It takes me quite a while (maybe as much as an hour) to adjust to my favorite settings after I do a reset.  But I've stayed with those custom settings long enough that I no longer have to go through and record everything before I do the reset, so at least that part doesn't take up my time.

Thanks for the reminder -- I'm going to do a factory reset this weekend as it's been a few months since my last.

• Like 3