The New Version (and Old Also) Of The Fisher Gold Bug 2

The Fisher Gold Bug 2 has been around for decades and is well known as one of the most sensitive metal detectors on the market. It has been the gold nugget detector of choice for many over the years. There really has never been a Gold Bug 3 - though some have asked for it. Fisher has now updated the user interface of the GB2. However the features and the guts of the detector remain the same but the user will now have an easier time of operating the machine. It is still a manual ground balance machine, but I think its a good step forward toward making it easier to use.
Don't ask me why all Fisher gold oriented detectors are called the Gold Bug. I have no idea. These new versions of the GB 2 are supposed to be available to dealers now. If you have any questions on it, I'll try and answer as best as I can.
Anyway, I recently had one in the field and got to try it out. I did a video on it if you are interested in learning more. You can see the video at:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

but the user will now have an easier time of operating the machine. It is still a manual ground balance machine, but I think its a good step forward toward making it easier to use.

I've never used one. What difficulties do you have with it, and how does the display screen help with those problems?

Don't ask me why all Fisher gold oriented detectors are called the Gold Bug

Name recognition.

I do own an original GB and the newest version.

Hey Chris, great intro to the GB2. Thanks! I know the questions been asked probably a zillion times, what do you think its performance is on depth while using approximately the same sized coils compared to say a GM 1000 on the same sized nugget that both can detect?

Ha, I think you had the control box mounted on backwards, you kept saying the end with the display and controls is the back of the box! 😉

I've never used one. I do own an original GB and the newest version.

You own one but have never used it?
I explain part of why the screen helps in the video. seeing what the little toggle switches were set on wasn't always easy at a glance.
Name recognition only goes so far before it causes confusion. Imagine if Ford called every vehicle they made the F150 pickup.

• Haha 1

the end with the display and controls is the back of the box! 😉

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, l but I see the coil as the front and the operator as behind the detector. The controls are at the back of the control box facing the operator. I guess you see the armrest as the front of the detector and the coil as the back?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Reno Chris said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, l but I see the coil as the front and the operator as behind the detector. The controls are at the back of the control box facing the operator. I guess you see the armrest as the front of the detector and the coil as the back?

I’m glad I didn’t put the cable in the back of the box on my GM! 🤔I was just teasing, good job on the video, I’m looking forward to trying to see one in action as I’ve never even seen a original one working. Oh and by the way, I’m a fan of your book - thanks for all the work you put into that!🤩

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 5:56 PM, Reno Chris said:

You own one but have never used it?
I explain part of why the screen helps in the video. seeing what the little toggle switches were set on wasn't always easy at a glance.
Name recognition only goes so far before it causes confusion. Imagine if Ford called every vehicle they made the F150 pickup.

You posted about the GB2 and I was asking about the GB2, and I was stating I've never used a GB2.

I have an original GB (not GB2),and the new GB(not GB2). There that should clear it up.

When detecting bedrock I still prefer my GB2 over my other machines. It is stable with very few false signals. The analog ground balance and threshold make it a joy to use. 

• Like 1

The GB2 is awesome for very mild soil and shallow gold. It brought me many nuggets over the years, so I share your enthusiasm Randy. However, IMHO in mineralized soil it is rather difficult to use and the constant need for ground balancing drives me nuts. But perhaps that's just me. I personally prefer the more modern GM which is great for my VLF needs and I think it handles hot ground better, especially with the 5 in coil. Also, the iron disc meter works well for targets close to the coil, whereas the iron disc of the GB2 sucks (IMO). I can see why the GM is the entry level gold detector of choice and it remains a huge sales hit. I view the GB2 as a rough and unforgiving beast, but great in mild soil for that 1 inch deep gold. If the conditions are perfect, nothing beats the GB2 in finding shallow tiny gold. Anoyingly however, that raspy GB2 treshold sound is burned into my brain after having heard it for so long and I am certain that I will still hear it on my deathbed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I`d swap back to those VLF

25 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

Anoyingly however, that raspy GB2 treshold sound is burned into my brain after having heard it for so long and I am certain that I will still hear it on my death bed.

Without hesitation I`d swap back to those raspy VLFs if I could have the legs I had in those days but of course with the patience/knowledge I`ve gained since. GC I know where your coming from but, the Z & 6K are streets ahead in a lot of applications.

• Like 2