The New Version (and Old Also) Of The Fisher Gold Bug 2

29 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Without hesitation I`d swap back to those raspy VLFs if I could have the legs I had in those days but of course with the patience/knowledge I`ve gained since. GC I know where your coming from but, the Z & 6K are streets ahead in a lot of applications.

I am sure with your experience you will make every detector shine golden, Norvic. Regardless of having young or "slightly" used legs (😁). The Z/6k are in another universe alltogether and I would not even try to do any comparisons to VLF's. So, 100% agreed. However, there are times where I need a good VLF with iron meter, especially in trashy areas where PI/ZVT would just be a waste of time. And for these cases I would pick the GM over the GB2 any day. That's the beauty of ML, it offers something for every situation (and for everyone). GC.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have several vlf metal detectors over 30khz. GMT, 24K, Nokta AU, and was thinking about adding the gb2. Sure these detectors found gold worth keeping, but can you say a lower freq machine would not have also found those, (and maybe go deeper to find more)? 

Here is what I now ponder. The high freq VLF can sniff out gold so small that it is worth pennies. If it takes me 15 minutes to recover the target, and I find another target in a half hour, I am working for pennies an hour. I am thinking about going back to my <20 khz VLF's, Lobo, F75, Tejon, F19, DFX, CZ20, and hope for a bit more depth. 

If you get a weak signal with a >30 machine, you don't know if it is a small target or a larger deep one. If you get a faint signal with a <30 machine, You can bet it is not a flake not worth digging. 

Time spent digging up a penny target is time not spent finding something larger. Why have a detector that will have you digging up a piece of dust? Any thoughts about my logic?

On the GB2 II, it has the meter to tell you what your ground balance is, but is that really useful information? Does it matter if it is 20 or 60? If you go away and come back, you still need to ground balance by ear. It doesn't matter what the number on the screen says.  I am thinking the old 2 knob ground balance is better, with the mic jack facing you.  

10 hours ago, DannyB1954 said:

I have several vlf metal detectors over 30khz. GMT, 24K, Nokta AU, and was thinking about adding the gb2. Sure these detectors found gold worth keeping, but can you say a lower freq machine would not have also found those, (and maybe go deeper to find more)? 

Here is what I now ponder. The high freq VLF can sniff out gold so small that it is worth pennies. If it takes me 15 minutes to recover the target, and I find another target in a half hour, I am working for pennies an hour. I am thinking about going back to my <20 khz VLF's, Lobo, F75, Tejon, F19, DFX, CZ20, and hope for a bit more depth. 

If you get a weak signal with a >30 machine, you don't know if it is a small target or a larger deep one. If you get a faint signal with a <30 machine, You can bet it is not a flake not worth digging. 

Time spent digging up a penny target is time not spent finding something larger. Why have a detector that will have you digging up a piece of dust? Any thoughts about my logic?

Hi Danny, I can answer that for my situation- Some of us just like finding the stuff and probably won’t ever sell any. It also doesn’t take long between hits, so it keeps people with ADHD happier too!😁

• Like 2

Lots to love regarding the Fisher Gold Bug 2 ..... The GM1K is for little kids, and beginners. 😁

Benefits of the Fisher Gold Bug 2 ;

*Ergonomic design

*Better on Specimen gold

*Does not fall over continuously 

*Has a narrow sexy elliptical mono coil, not a hockey puck fat ugly clumsy coil.  

*Manual ground balance only, so no confusion

*Batteries last forever and can run on one battery if needed

*1/4 inch headphone jack

*Excellent Iron Disk mode, contrary to what a novice tried to convey

* Shaft does not get all loose and twisty

* Costs 100.00 less

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

Good information Chris, as many customers don't even know there is a new Fisher Gold Bug2 that has a screen on it.  

I have a lot of hours on the Gold Bug2 and about half that much on the Gold Monster 1000.  I'm normally 95% of the time running a PI or better, but have found hundreds, probably thousands of dinks with the VLF's.  

I prefer Manual Balance over Auto with a VLF, just my thoughts.  The Auto makes it super easy to use for a new guy and you don't have to fiddle with the Ground balance knobs, coarse/fine.  

I think the Gold Bug2 like another forum member mentioned, hits harder on specimens with small amounts of gold vs. the Gold Monster 1000.  

They are both great detectors, one just requires a bit more control management vs. the other.  

Rob

• Like 1

I have loved my GB2 until the last few years when better technology has evolved, they blew it in my opinion, could have brought it up to modern standards with a touch screen without messing it up, making it perhaps, enticing to purchasing one for folks that currently own one of the older models. It could have contended with many of the current favorite small gold detectors. Too close to what I have to purchase the new model.  

• Like 1