Simplex 2.68 Detector Coil Compatibility

• The title was changed to Simplex 2.68 Detector Coil Compatibility

Good mercy just got the message straight from NOKTA😲😥 Its all over ,but the scream Now what? So no other coil will help?For an old dude like me Going on 81 ,guess just ride it out with the 2.68.Is it that much difference besides depth?This Simplex is New old stock of 1.5 years and has not hit the dirt except for my coin garden! That's what happens when you spend to much time in Hospitals.Hmmmm,whats the next move keep it or sell it.

• Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, w.j.mccrary said:

Good mercy just got the message straight from NOKTA😲😥 Its all over ,but the scream Now what? So no other coil will help?For an old dude like me Going on 81 ,guess just ride it out with the 2.68.Is it that much difference besides depth?This Simplex is New old stock of 1.5 years and has not hit the dirt except for my coin garden! That's what happens when you spend to much time in Hospitals.Hmmmm,whats the next move keep it or sell it.

Wow, you appear to be overreacting a bit.  The update is free and can be performed by the user in a matter of minutes using a PC and the included charging cable that came with the detector. If you have the ability to post to this forum, you likely have the hardware and know how to handle the firmware upgrade process without much problem.  Garrett, Minelab, XP, and a number of other popular detector manufacturers have migrated to this approach to address performance and compatibility issues and to roll out new features without having to send detectors back to the manufacturer or to purchase an upgrade.  This is likely not the big deal you are making it out to be…. If you are concerned any number of people can help walk you through the process in detail, but Nokta’s instructions are straight forward and there are probably you tube videos showing you how to do it.

• Like 2

I think there was probably a misunderstanding that its an older model Simplex and he needed the newer model to run the coils, the firmware is something you can upgrade yourself at home, you can turn your older firmware Simplex into the new one quite easily 🙂

This guy does a bit of a rundown on how to install the firmware from a Windows computer

Any questions just ask, a number of people here could help you with the process if you get stuck.

If you're really concerned you could take it back to where you bought it, it's likely the dealer will put the new firmware on for you in a few seconds.

• Like 1

OOOPS,forgot to ask what happens if you chose to use a Nel or Cor's 9.5" x 5" instead nokta coils? I remember when I purchased the Simplex 2.68 at that time the Nels and  cor's coils were all ready out for the 2.68  The 9.5"coils were being sold by east coast forum.

Interesting question about the Nel coils, I've not tried a Nel on my Simplex,  I can't justify buying one for it as I don't use it much but I would guess Nel coils were made to original Simplex specifications so they'd probably just work without the firmware update, could be wrong of course.

I would say it's best you just upgrade the firmware anyway, the other benefits of the newer firmware aside from just the new coil options make it worth while.

Nokta even have their own update tutorial video showing you how to do it

• Like 1

Greetings Phrunt  thank you for your answers good mercy out of all those detectors which two are your favorite?Well,I am willing to try the 9.5" x 5" d.d. coil its on order . Will report the results as soon as it gets here I already have acor's 9.5" on my Fisher F-70 and works great and separates like it should.

Can you tell me all the new advantages when you upgrade to 2.77 & 2.78. Thank you---William

• Like 1

Thanks William, my preference is the Equinox although it's obviously more expensive than the Simplex.   The Simplex will do the job nicely for you though.  Glad to hear you've got a coil on the way.

Here is a rundown of the firmware versions and their changes, personally I prefer 2.77, 2.78 gives no ID at all on deep targets when 2.77 gives a really jumpy messy ID on them, both give reasonable ID's on shallower targets. 

You'll see with all the changes below, it's a good thing there is the updates and you'll benefit greatly from installing the update.  The new Park 1 is vital too, Park 2 lacks depth, Park 1 is the standard mode I use on mine.

Sensitivity Level 7 has been added to provide extra depth
Please keep in mind that the device may run noisier at this level depending on conditions and that this is totally normal.

An extra mode has been added – Park 1
The Park mode on the previous versions has been named as Park 2 on this update and a new Park 1 mode has been added.
Park 1 is relatively deeper but a bit slower than Park 2 mode.
In this mode, the device produces a low tone for ferrous targets with 0-15 IDs, a medium tone for gold and non-ferrous metals with IDs 16-69 and a high tone for non-ferrous metals with IDs 70-99 such as silver, brass and copper.

Changes have been made for the All Metal Mode
It has been removed from the first spot in the options and moved to the end.
Threshold setting has been added to this mode.
In the All Metal mode, the threshold setting for each sensitivity level is optimized to provide the best performance on different terrains.
You can adjust the threshold setting between -50 +50 based on ground conditions.

Mineralization bar has been added to the screen

Timeout lengths have been increased

BACK function (up arrow) has been added to exit from settings to go back to the main screen without waiting for the timeout

ID depth has been increased

4 levels have been added to Automatic Brightness shown as A1-A2-A3-A4 on screen

Audio for the pinpoint mode and wired headphones has been optimized

Manual Ground Balance function has been expanded
If the device receives a lot of noise and/or emits false signals and you cannot eliminate it by reducing the sensitivity, first set your sensitivity back to its original level. Then increase the ground balance value between 90.1 – 91.0 one by one until the noise is eliminated. As the ground balance value is increased, the device’s sensitivity to high conductive (silver, copper etc.) coins will decrease.

Mute Function has been added
Press the Pinpoint Button once to mute your detector without going into settings. This will help eliminate the interference noise from pinpointers that operate at the same frequency.

Audio levels for wired headphones
2 sets of audio levels have been added when the device is used with wired headphones. Choose between Low (L1-L4) or High (H1-H4).

There is also an optional update to 2.78 from 2.77, although my testing has shown performance is better in 2.77 than 2.78 so personally I'd stick with 2.77.

Firmware version 2.76 and 2.77 introduced a new search mode, Park 1, which increased the search depth. Users may experience jumpy Target ID's, which is a normal result when identifying targets at extreme depth and under certain conditions. Some novice users may find these jumpy ID's a bit confusing.

Firmware version 2.78 has been introduced in order to bring "stability" to the Target ID's when hitting deep targets. In short, it does this by not displaying a Target ID for deep targets. Don't worry, search depth is not affected!

If you don't mind jumpy Target ID's for deep targets, then we recommend you remain on Firmware v2.77. However, if you find jumpy target ID's on deep targets to be a bit disconcerting, then update your Firmware to v2.78.

Another option is to upgrade the Firmware to v2.78 and give it a swing. If you prefer v2.78 then great, if you prefer v2.77 you can always downgrade back to v2.77.

This software update will NOT affect the overall depth and sensitivity of the Nokta Makro Simplex+.

• Like 1