2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

they gave a iron signal ......after a scoop or two he would get a discriminated silver tone

I use this as my faint tell on my wet sand beaches.  As I've stated many times in other threads I have increased my iron volume from 5 to at least 10 and sometimes more so I can hear deeper.

I also get deeper with the 15 so that when I have a sanded in beach I get next to nothing with the 11 but I can get extra quarters, nickels and rings (and cans sometimes) but you have to work the coil slow.  When you are in the water you can't work fast.  If I'm walking I sometimes reduce the swing length so that combined walking and swinging is not too fast.  There are others that just cruise of course and their results can be different.

John should be encouraged to try the 15" but I know some guys will just stick with what they know best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Another great hunt. My Nox I was able to get a good 16-18" in the wet , not in the water. My DF went deeper. Nice old ring. A few years ago I got the same script ring dated 1886 , my oldest. It was unique in that the ring had a reeded edge. Like that of a $5 gold , but it was worn down. Wish I still had it our took a pic. It was also around 22k.

Thanks Mr KOB! When it comes to talking how deep this is and how deep that was, it really is a touchy subject for everyone........what settings or machine that gets that depth in one part of the country may work or be different some place else. And I can't tell you how many times I've dug a deep signal and say to myself. That devil was a good 18 inches, only to find once I measured it.. it was only 14.. I even had one the other day when I used the AQ.. the second gold ring.. WoW that s deep.. then I measured it.. sad to say it was a little over 13 inches. But it was 1.6 grams to..😁

I think we are going to set up a Go ZFund Me Page for you.. Buy you a good camera.. Sounds like you missed a great picture on that find.

I hope the Nox owners don't takes it wrong what I said, I've found you can learn so much more about your hunting & machine abilities when doing test / compares with some one right there. Helpful for both parties in learning. My goal is to help my friend find gold, and take it from me I don't do that for anyone. John just happened to catch me at the right time, and he has a boat on the river I can not get to..😍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I use this as my faint tell on my wet sand beaches.  As I've stated many times in other threads I have increased my iron volume from 5 to at least 10 and sometimes more so I can hear deeper.

I also get deeper with the 15 so that when I have a sanded in beach I get next to nothing with the 11 but I can get extra quarters, nickels and rings (and cans sometimes) but you have to work the coil slow.  When you are in the water you can't work fast.  If I'm walking I sometimes reduce the swing length so that combined walking and swinging is not too fast.  There are others that just cruise of course and their results can be different.

John should be encouraged to try the 15" but I know some guys will just stick with what they know best.

I will send this to John, Thank You. I came across a video with Terry Shannon in it when he was interviewed about the Nox..I shared that last night with John. Some good info in it also. I will pass along the info on the 15 also..

• Like 1

Got the molo workin' Joe !  WTG finds . You definitely have the under water thing tuned in !

Good karma points helping your friend.

You're right about side by side detecting like that , benefits both with clues learned.

On a "NO beach" , beach . That boat is your ticket ! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

but I could smell the gold.. It was close...just never found it.... . 

Not a lot of targets but got into a little area I could feel it again

I know that most just sorta laugh these statements off as just part of the story but I have seen times that the "smell" or the "feel" of gold has kept me on a spot only to find a nice gold find.   If I don't get the "smell" or the "feel", I don't even bother with that beach unless the scenery is really really good. LOL    

Great story and finds.  I mainly use the Equinox with 15 inch coil and have dug some deep targets.   I also know that when I am slightly off target on my pinpoint it appears to be way deeper than it really is.  Unless the story is coming from someone I know, the depth they give is somewhat ignored.  I know you and I know and have hunted with KOB so I for one take your depth numbers as gospel.  My beaches so far have not given me much opportunity to take advantage of my AQ but they will before long. 

And as you said, "stay safe" and keep sniffing out the yellow stuff!!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cuniagau said:

I know that most just sorta laugh these statements off as just part of the story but I have seen times that the "smell" or the "feel" of gold has kept me on a spot only to find a nice gold find.   If I don't get the "smell" or the "feel", I don't even bother with that beach unless the scenery is really really good. LOL    

Great story and finds.  I mainly use the Equinox with 15 inch coil and have dug some deep targets.   I also know that when I am slightly off target on my pinpoint it appears to be way deeper than it really is.  Unless the story is coming from someone I know, the depth they give is somewhat ignored.  I know you and I know and have hunted with KOB so I for one take your depth numbers as gospel.  My beaches so far have not given me much opportunity to take advantage of my AQ but they will before long. 

And as you said, "stay safe" and keep sniffing out the yellow stuff!!!

Interesting you guys bring up depth. In the water that could be difficult , but done long enough as OBN , you got a pretty good idea. Many moons ago , I actually carried a mini 6' tape measure to check on depth. Then for a few years ( it was posted on the other forum) I put colored tape on my scoop handle. Tilting the point of the scoop on the ground , then measure 12" with a tape vertically , then again at 24". I am confident on eyeballing measurements. But this was more accurate. The problem is , depending on the width of the hole and if you can get your coil to the bottom , is were it can get a bit tricky. I'm sure there are times where the ring was deep and in the side of the hole. And that scoop brought it down. But I know other times I've had that scoop at the bottom 18" and still reading the target solid underneath it. 1 more scoop gets it. Now , It doesn't really matter unless I got a new detector. Then I would just like to know.

• Like 3

Some thing that really woke me up to how hard it was to dig 18 inches was when I dug the holes for the PVC pipe when testing the "AQ" The PVC pipe was 20 inches long.....  Honestly, After digging those test holes I don't think I've dug many that deep. If any, when hunting. 

OBN-001.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I talked to friend today today who tried the 15 inch on his Nox. He used it for a few months but said it was to noisy here in the bay. It did provide the coverage but he had to make so many adjustments that there was no depth advantage. After he told me that I remembered the same when I tried a few larger coils on the Excalibur. The WOT, and the  Detech ULT13.. the 13 was so hot, once it was in 3 foot of water I could not even adjust the sensitivity down enough to stop the noise. 

Even more interesting is the "AQ's big 12.6 inch coil. It can be noisy but with coil control (And setting adjusting) it is manageable. I just got a 10 inch special made coil for it and I swear that baby is silent. I'm taking the AQ out tomorrow with the 10 in rough waters. See how all goes. 

• Like 6

Thanks for the video really cool...what I was curious about was if he had tried to hear the target with gold mode 1 all metal ...it would be kinda the equivalent  of using the xcal in all metal...were talking about just trying to hear the deep target that s all. Hunting with the gold mode might drive him crazy due to all the noise especially if there is lots of small targets. 

The xcal may just be the best water coin and ring/jewelry  machine there is...except for the gold chain thing. I'll use my Nox in the water but if I know I'm gonna be deep hunting submerged most of the hunt I chicken out and bring the xcal. I think I got one of the last 8 inch xcals that they made...I have some trashy beaches I hunt here on the cal delta...nice discussion going here. Need to get the pin point button installed on mine one of these days. 

strick 

11 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Even more interesting is the "AQ's big 12.6 inch coil. It can be noisy but with coil control (And setting adjusting) it is manageable. I just got a 10 inch special made coil for it and I swear that baby is silent. I'm taking the AQ out tomorrow with the 10 in rough waters.

The 8 inch AQ coil has not seemed to be any quieter than the big coil for me. I do have a variable that could be the reason; big coil is on one AQ LTD and little coil is on the other AQ LTD, so I could be seeing a difference between the two detectors rather than a good indication of how the coils behave. I don't think I will be doing much to examine that more; this being between two houses in two different states puts a cramp on detecting ... should have that all settled by early next year.