New Teaser - XP Deus II

Brushcreek

That would be a nice looking detector. If the coil is wired the coil wire would probably run up inside of the shaft. I would definitely be interested in this detector. Waterproof and still very light.

12 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

If the coil is wired the coil wire would probably run up inside of the shaft.

I hope not. Other than looking nice, it creates more problems than it fixes. I’ve not owned a detector yet with a cable enclosed in shaft, where coil swaps were not a pain in the posterior. Fine I guess for people who are not swapping coils constantly, but coils are a major part of my game, as it’s the number one way I can radically change my detector performance for different situations. I keep all my accessory coils on dedicated lower rods, simply because I do swap coils so often.

Where XP can score here is to give me a Deus feature set, add multifrequency that matches Equinox, not Apex, and in a truly waterproof package. Equinox is a hugely popular water machine, but it leaks way too often. XP can take Equinox market share easily, with a detector that simply works as well, but does not leak, period. That’s what I’m seeing in the control box displayed, and it requires wired coils to really get the job done right. Do that, and Florida beaches will shift from Minelab to XP. Equinox showed what people want, but it’s flawed, so make a better Equinox.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People who like a totally wireless system think people who do not just don’t understand things properly. Women call it “mansplaining” and I guess this is “Deusplaining”

Wireless coils are of zero interest to me. I do not want to charge my coil. I do not want to buy a battery, transmitter, and circuits, every time I buy a coil. I want $200 dumb coils attached to a control box that contains the battery and circuitry, not $400 coils that are redundant, twice the price, and limited in selection. Ones that work underwater without special kits. A cable IS the solution! 

Every time I’m with a group of Deus owners, somebody is having a coil charging problem, or a problem pairing a coil to a control box. It’s a problem only XP owners experience.

I fully understand why you and others like wireless coils. Yet it is the one reason that I’ve sold both Deus I’ve owned. But every time one of us mentions we don’t want wireless coils, we get Deusplained! :laugh:

Yes $400 is expensive for a single coil , but on the other hand a BMW or a Mercedes is more expensive than a  VW Beetle or a Fiat Panda ... 🙂 🙂 

• Like 2

I would rather have the coil cord wrapped around the outside and connected to the controller where you can change coils and be able to use other shafts if you want to.

• Like 3

I'm 100% with Steve on this. I don't care for wireless coils for the exact same reasons. For every coil I want to buy, I'm actually buying another detector. Also don't care for a cable inside the shaft, creates more problems than it solves. Yeah, those clean shafts look cool but that ain't enough to make metal detecting look any less uncool than it is.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, palzynski said:

Yes $400 is expensive for a single coil , but on the other hand a BMW or a Mercedes is more expensive than a  VW Beetle or a Fiat Panda ... 🙂 🙂  (emphasis mine)

I don't 'swing' one of those, either.  :biggrin:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I don't 'swing' one of those, either.  :biggrin:

This recalls me a ( true ) story.  A guy from around here found a treasure with his Deus a few years ago . The 1st thing he did was to buy a big BMW ...

Me I still have a Deus but no BMW yet ... 😄

Btw one more thing about the XP coils high price . From what I know the XP wireless coils are quite complex to produce and XP makes only a low margin with the coils, due to these high manufacturing costs .  Their margin is more important on the control box and the wireless headphones .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’ve not owned a detector yet with a cable enclosed in shaft, where coil swaps were not a pain in the posterior.

Totally agree with that sentiment (ATX user here).  The next most annoying thing is having to deal with any coil cable in the first place during a swap or if I want to survey a vertical surface such as the side of an excavation or or the crevice of an outcropping.  Or if I just want to run with my coil and my wireless headset sans controller box,  cables just get in the way...  Uh oh, I’m venturing into Deusplaining territory, better stop now.  :laugh:

To be quite frank, the irony is that there sure seems to be a lot more folks coming into this XP Forum thread talking about how they don’t care for wireless coils than there are those Deusplaining the virtues of wireless coils.  All I can say is if you venture into the XP forum, you might want to prepare yourself for a possible Deusplaining encounter.  :biggrin:  

Neither here nor there, just an observation by someone who actually is NOT a wireless coil zealot. :rolleyes:

To be honest there’s enough to balance out the advantage and disadvantage arguments to the wired vs. wireless coil debate that I don’t consider either “preferred”.  It’s similar to the perpetual S-shaft vs. straight shaft debate.  People just get worked up over the topic that can never be resolved.  Just as I swing a PI, single selectable frequency vlf, and simultaneous multi frequency vlf, each has their advantages and disadvantages and situations where one is preferred over the others.  Right tool for the job. There are detecting situations I personally encounter where having a compact totally wireless setup comes in very useful but I obviously pay a premium for that capability and it comes with added complexity elsewhere (e.g., having to deal with another battery) and then there are situations such as submerged detecting where wired is the way to go.

I simply like the Deus platform for what it brings in terms of capability and performance coupled with ergonomics that make it a dream to swing.  The fully wireless approach helps a little with the weight, minimalist portability, and re-configurability but contributes relatively little to performance, is an impediment to water hunting and it is still outpaced by Equinox and Tarsacci under certain circumstances.

I will say one thing, I wouldn’t let the fact of whether a detector uses wired or wireless coils necessarily drive a buy decision if that detector has superior performance, features or capabilities to the competition.  Like I said above, wired vs. wireless is kind of a wash for me I can go either way and really can’t get worked up about it.  There are much more important attributes that drive my detector purchase decision making.  And, hey, if the design accommodates both configurations, what’s not to like (other than perhaps paying for wireless/smart coil capability you may not need)?

• Like 4