New Teaser - XP Deus II

Brushcreek

1 minute ago, PimentoUK said:

I had always wondered if one reason XP were slow to produce a multi-freq machine was the issues with fitting it 'all in the coil' and wirelessly connecting everything. Brute-Forcing square signals onto a search-coil is a big power-consumer, and the subsequent processing of the signal is also a power-user, and would require more physical electronics parts than the regular Deus coils. So then you would need a bigger battery. It all starts looking like the coil would be full of battery/electronics. A wired solution is the sensible option in this case.

I'm wondering if this MF Deus runs a wired coil permanently, BUT, it is backwards-compatible with the current line-up of standard Deus wireless coils. It's technically easy, all the micro brains, LCD screen, buttons etc are all going to be there for the MF functions , and the signal-processing for the single-freq Deus is pretty simple compared to what would be required for an MF machine.

I dont think it will fit with the other coils.

I read it somewhere on a French forum

RR

2 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

I had always wondered if one reason XP were slow to produce a multi-freq machine was the issues with fitting it 'all in the coil' and wirelessly connecting everything. Brute-Forcing square signals onto a search-coil is a big power-consumer, and the subsequent processing of the signal is also a power-user, and would require more physical electronics parts than the regular Deus coils. So then you would need a bigger battery. It all starts looking like the coil would be full of battery/electronics. A wired solution is the sensible option in this case.

I doubt (but don’t fully discount) power management limitations as development impediments as XP already pulled the battery out into the coil stem on the Deus HF (white) coils, then managed to figure out a way to improve power efficiency on the X35 coils to place the power source back into the coil. This possibly demonstrates XP has been tweaking coil power management all along and now retains the option to use internal or external (stem housed) (or both!) batteries as necessary for the Deus 2 coils.  

Processing component volume is also an unlikely impediment, they are constantly touting the micro pin-head sized processing packages used in their coils and have probably managed to improve processing power by an order of magnitude since the original Deus hardware was introduced nearly a decade ago.

Not saying there aren’t obstacles to overcome in power and hardware packaging in these “self-contained” smart coils as you suspect, but XP’s engineering track record demonstrates that they may have already had to figure this out.  One thing they DO need to fix is their atrocious coil charging clip design.  Hopefully, that has finally been addressed with Deus 2.

I think development time all boils down to perfecting signal processing algorithms and flex multi for various detecting scenarios of interest, EMI management, purposeful repackaging and environmental “hardening” for dedicated submerged water detecting (including the aforementioned anticipated hard wired coil to controller box signal cable and perhaps hard wired audio cable option to solve the underwater wireless RF transmission problem) and dusty, arid, hot prospecting situations.

Anyway, it appears that XP has been silently listening to user feedback and used the Pandemic “down time” productively despite suffering through some significant supply chain issues that impacted legacy product production and availability.  

I love my Deus but even I am surprised at how resilient and popular the Deus platform product line remains 10 years on now despite its price point, known flaws, and the Equinox competition.  I know a number of ultra enthusiasts who swear by how both the Nox and Deus compliment each other and cover the bases on various types of treasure hunting and still see Deus winning over fans right up to the present day amongst my circle of detectorist friends and acquaintances.

So far, XP seems to be hitting all the right notes based on the info that is trickling out on Deus 2 and I am excited and intrigued as I anticipate what this platform might be capable of bringing to the table in 2022.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You are seeing pictures someplace? I'd love a hardwired coil option - might tip me to buying one.

I've seen people passing this patent around. No way to tell if it's the Deus 2, but it looks like a Deus with waterproof case and a wired 6 pin connection. The file date was 2019. Not sure if they could get it to market that quickly? https://patents.google.com/patent/USD859183S1/en?oq=d859%2c183

F92EE82F-A052-4122-8E6C-97921CBDF4A3.pngA6CEEAA7-9C1E-4294-93A9-838E54B2503A.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, if it is corded with an option of cordless that's a big bonus for me, I'd only ever go corded.  I honestly see no point in cordless when there is a shaft there anyway holding the coil on 😛  Each to their own, I know many have argued the fact they like the cordless design and stated the benefits to it, I just don't like it and it's why I've avoided the previous model.

I just hope it's not another long winded release like Nokta's talking about it years before it hits the market, if that's the case I'll lose interest quickly.   I prefer to be surprised than teased.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

Well, if it is corded with an option of cordless that's a big bonus for me, I'd only ever go corded.  I honestly see no point in cordless when there is a shaft there anyway holding the coil on 😛  Each to their own, I know many have argued the fact they like the cordless design and stated the benefits to it, I just don't like it and it's why I've avoided the previous model.

I just hope it's not another long winded release like Nokta's talking about it years before it hits the market, if that's the case I'll lose interest quickly.   I prefer to be surprised than teased.

There are several advantages to the cordless:

- this is time saving because there is no need to connect/disconnect the coil at each time . 

- it suppresses the coil to control box connector issues , like the ones that I sometimes have with my Apex
for example .

- no more coil cable which is fragile and can be damaged when prospecting in the woods for example

- it saves weight and balance , a cable with a its coil and cb connectors weights around 70g 

Actually it is always difficult to come back to a wired detector when you are used to a cordless machine , just like with bluetooth and wired headphones ...

The downside of the cordless is that you need an additionnal device to detect in the water  , 
but I am sure that XP has found a solution for this issue with the Deus2

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 4:53 AM, Geotech said:

Flex Multi Frequency. My guess is that it's like Equinox in that there are different frequency blends for different modes. The pod is obviously waterproof and even has what looks like an M8 or M12 connector, making me think that they have a hard-wired coil option for water hunting in addition to wireless coils.

From what I have heard over here ,    FMF = Fast Multi Frequency

Knowing XP a top of the range aint gonna be a toy.The owner is himself a detectorist.He knows what peeps wants and he is also a visionnary.He knows we (the consumer) are getting more and more exigent.To be honest i ll be very very surprise if it isnt a beast of a mqchine.

RR

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

Knowing XP a top of the range aint gonna be a toy.The owner is himself a detectorist.He knows what peeps wants and he is also a visionnary.He knows we (the consumer) are getting more and more exigent.To be honest i ll be very very surprise if it isnt a beast of a mqchine.

RR

A MD dealer in Paris told me that Alain Loubet ( the XP boss ) tests himself the new detectors in the field .  Sometimes companies top managers are unfortunately more interested by finance or politics than the product itself . This is not the case at XP where the product is king  ...

• Like 8