10x5 Coil And ID Numbers

Over the past weekend I was able to get into the back yard and try out my new 10x5 coil.

What I have noticed is that the numbers that should be trash is coming up as coins. For example I see and hear a 21-22 and it is a penny, where before it would be 19-20.

A 28 is showing up for dimes now, and the quarters are at 32-34.

Is the coil showing anyone else the same numbers or is it just mine is my question.

Thank you to all who may respond.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Over the past weekend I was able to get into the back yard and try out my new 10x5 coil.

What I have noticed is that the numbers that should be trash is coming up as coins. For example I see and hear a 21-22 and it is a penny, where before it would be 19-20.

Is the coil showing anyone else the same numbers or is it just mine is my question.

Hey VL,

First off what mode are you using?

I use the 10x5 all the time and have dug hundreds of coins with it, so I can give you a general rundown on IDs with it, yes it does seem different than the stock coil. Maybe more accurate 🤔 my IDs come from Park 1:

Zincolns are going to be 17-20 depending upon how much is left

Good pennies are going to be 21-25, the older they are the higher the ID, I've even seen a 30 in there

Nickels 12-15

Dimes are 25-28

Quarters 28-32

Half dollar 32-34

Old silver may be in the 16-18 range, I always dig that one.

You are correct in what you see. Noticed it myself. Just adjusted my thinking and drove on...

If you're just coin shooting 17-34 is the "sweet spot", but you're going to miss nickels, so you still have to dig 12/15 if you want them. I've had pull tabs (older rectangular type with tab) come up as 18/19 too. Most aluminum bottle caps will be 21-23.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My numbers with the Nox 800 in Park 1 using my new 10x5 Coiltek coil give ID numbers pretty much exactly like F350Platinum is getting with his coil.  I've yet to dig a half dollar or old silver coin, so I can't confirm those though.  :tongue:

I dug up a corroded wheat cent today.  It looks like a 1924 and it rang up at #22 for me and was shallow at 2-3inches.  The more corroded pennies are, the lower they tend to read is my experience.  

I've been running sensitivity at 19 in trashy spots.  I find it helps to keep signals cleaner sounding and makes target separation even less of a problem.  I've tried 2 tones instead of 50 tones my last 1.5 hunts and I find its giving me the clearest and smoothest signals when I'm going slow and working a spot.  

Good luck with your new coil!

• Like 7

14 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

First off what mode are you using?

I have also been using Park 1 for this testing to get a feel for it.

So I guess everything is alright with the equipment and I have to get used to what I am seeing.

So glad that you responded with your results.

24 minutes ago, Calmark said:

I find it helps to keep signals cleaner sounding and makes target separation even less of a problem.  I've tried 2 tones instead of 50 tones my last 1.5 hunts and I find its giving me the clearest and smoothest signals when I'm going slow and working a spot.  

I also have kept the sense down a little bit just to make it more stable in the yard.

Glad to have good people from the forum replying so fast and letting me know that I'm not as crazy as I thought.

A little crazy is a good thing, but I don't want to go off the deep end.

• Like 4

So the Coiltek 5"x10" NOX coil gives higher dTID's than the ML 11" stock coil??  Is that what you guys are saying?  I'm surprised no one has brought this up until now. 

For those of us who hunt in custom 5 tones that would mean needing to program a separate set of tone breaks -- a bit annoying.  I guess a solution would be to use a different search mode (e.g. Field 1 instead of Park 1) for the second coil.  Or keep one setup in User Profile.  (No, I don't have a 5"x10", yet.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

So the Coiltek 5"x10" NOX coil gives higher dTID's than the ML 11" stock coil??  Is that what you guys are saying?  I'm surprised no one has brought this up until now. 

For those of us who hunt in custom 5 tones that would mean needing to program a separate set of tone breaks -- a bit annoying.  I guess a solution would be to use a different search mode (e.g. Field 1 instead of Park 1) for the second coil.  Or keep one setup in User Profile.  (No, I don't have a 5"x10", yet.)

Yes. Didn't think it mattered much because I don't do a lot of programming. Just got used to the new numbers. Pretty much put it off to different conditions. But yeah, it does seem to move the IDs up a bit, I'm glad Valens Legacy noticed it. Now that I have dug almost a thousand coins with it I could list those IDs out of my head.

• Like 4

On 10/26/2021 at 12:17 AM, Valens Legacy said:

You might want to do a factory reset (FP) with the 10x5 connected. I did that and haven't noticed the higher TIDs. In my mineralized soil, I get pretty much the same numbers with the 10x5" as with the 11" in Park 1 and Park 2.

Zincolns = 19-21 depending on level of deterioration

Copper Pennies = 20-22

Nickels = 12 and sometimes 13

Clad Dimes = 25-26

Clad Quarters = 28-30

Sorry, I haven't hit any silver coins yet so I do'nt know where those come in.

HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

You might want to do a factory reset (FP) with the 10x5 connected. I did that and haven't noticed the higher TIDs. In my mineralized soil, I get pretty much the same numbers with the 10x5" as with the 11" in Park 1 and Park 2.

Zincolns = 19-21 depending on level of deterioration

Copper Pennies = 20-22

Nickels = 12 and sometimes 13

Clad Dimes = 25-26

Clad Quarters = 28-30

Sorry, I haven't hit any silver coins yet so I do'nt know where those come in.

HTH

This could be the issue, going to reset mine before hunting next time. Last time I switched coils I didn't do it. Thanks Cap'n!

• Like 3

I'll try a factory reset on mine and see if things change for ID numbers.  I have noticed if I use Park 2 its often perhaps 1 number lower than in Park 1 on the same targets, which would make numbers closer to expected.  I haven't used the stock 11in in a while to compare. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Calmark said:

I'll try a factory reset on mine and see if things change for ID numbers.  I have noticed if I use Park 2 its often perhaps 1 number lower than in Park 1 on the same targets, which would make numbers closer to expected.  I haven't used the stock 11in in a while to compare. 

After using it for quite a few months I'm reluctant to take it off... 😀 Pinpointing, ground balancing, close work, finding things between undesirable targets is so much better. Going out tomorrow, I'll try the reset too. Can't remember if the change occurred after I switched them last time, but I do remember not doing a reset.

• Like 2