10x5 Coil And ID Numbers

2 hours ago, Calmark said:

I have noticed if I use Park 2 its often perhaps 1 number lower than in Park 1 on the same targets, which would make numbers closer to expected.  I haven't used the stock 11in in a while to compare.

With the 11" coil I search (parks and schools) in Park 1, Recovery Speed = 4.  I use Field 2, Recovery Speed = 6 to check nickel signals.  When Park 1 shows 12-13, Field 2 tends to show more 12 than 13 for legit nickels.  I don't use Field 2 with other targets so I can't comment on that.  But for this special case I'm seeing what seems to be about 1/2 dTID bin difference.

• Like 2

i ended up with 2 5x10 coilteks.  i only needed and wanted one but long story short i had 2. i tested and used each one on my nox 600 and nox 800 same settings in park2 and one 5x10 would always seem to id higher.  for a while i didnt give it much thought but now i think there might be something to consider and test further?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

So the Coiltek 5"x10" NOX coil gives higher dTID's than the ML 11" stock coil??

That is what has happened to mine, and when I switch back to the 11 it is normal.

I will try the factory reset when I have the 10x5  on it to confirm.

• Like 3

Are we talking air testing? most of the responses to your question are from guys digging stuff...ground mineralization/depth will effect the numbers...Air testing is another thing...  These kinds of discussions are a little entertaining...I have a gold nugget that reads in low 30's air testing ...dig it all that next zinc penny might be a 15 gram class ring...

strick 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, strick said:

...dig it all that next zinc penny might be a 15 gram class ring...

strick 

I don't exactly dig it all or I'd have to dump my trash bag every pass. 😀 I do know what you're saying though, dig all that looks good. If I dug -4 to -9 without any high tone, I'd have collected enough to build an aircraft carrier 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I went out today for about 1.5 hours to a modern park and ran Park 1 after I did a factory reset.  I watched my ID numbers much more closely than usual.  I went with 2 tones and 19 sensitivity, the other settings were factory.  I found pretty much all very shallow coins and the usual foil and pull tabs.  ID readings were about what one would expect:

zinc pennies 19-21, corroded  and/or deeper ones 18

copper penny 22-24

dime 24-26, a few blips on 27

quarters 28-30, mostly 30

These were all pretty shallow using 2 tones.  I think when I use 50 tones numbers maybe tend to "smear" a little higher and lower, though its been a week since I've used 50 tones and I didn't pay super close attention.  Also, I was running FE6 today and have used some FE26 in the past few weeks.  I think that FE2 might also give a slightly wider VDI spread, especially on mixed metals like zinc cents and bottle caps and perhaps account for some higher numbers showing up on coil sweeps.  I am getting reacquainted with my Nox after a long hiatus, so I am just going on impressions rather than hard data here.  :biggrin:

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Calmark said:

I went with 2 tones and 19 sensitivity, the other settings were factory.  I found pretty much all very shallow coins and the usual foil and pull tabs.  ID readings were about what one would expect:

This was with the 10x5 coil I take it?

And I guess that since you did the Factory Reset it does change the ID numbers just a little to match the 11 inch coil.

This weekend I will have some time to check mine and report back on my numbers. Hopefully it will help me also.

14 hours ago, water spider said:

has anyone noticed slightly more falsing?

I think that I was in an area that had a lot of mineraliztion  and I was getting a little bit of falsing. I know that the ground was still wet from the rains, which could have something to do with it also.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

This was with the 10x5 coil I take it?

And I guess that since you did the Factory Reset it does change the ID numbers just a little to match the 11 inch coil.

This weekend I will have some time to check mine and report back on my numbers. Hopefully it will help me also.

Yes, this was using the Coiltek 10x5 coil today.

One other thing that has changed is my soil was bone dry here in California up until about 10 days ago. No rain in about 250 days.  Since then we've had 6+ inches of rain in a big storm and its not only a lot easier to dig finally, but this might have also affected ID numbers in my area.  Ground is pretty mineralized here, though no falsing for me.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Calmark said:

this might have also affected ID numbers in my area. 

I noticed that any time the ground has a lot of moisture in it I get a few numbers a little different than normal.

I rarely will dig in dry conditions at the parks or other areas of interest. The only time I will dig in a dry area is in the fields with permission. I don't like to kill the grass.

• Like 1