Transformers And Batteries For 6000 And 7000

sturt

On my last detecting trip with my 6000, although not sure of of total hours I had been detecting, but at least 6 hrs, when the detector made a sound that I had not heard before. Looking down at the screen I noticed the Battery icon was flashing with no bars displayed in the icon. I assumed the sound was saying the Battery was nearly flat so I thought I would continue to detect to see when the detector would shut down. Well I continued on for a further 10 minutes or more before my friend wanted to head home so I ended up having to turn off the detector. 

Therefore has anyone else experienced the same thing and know how long the 6000 will continue to operate before shutting down after the Battery icon starts flashing? 

Thanks all. My use of the 7000 machine over 4 years has not required a second battery. Charging takes usually under 2 hours (never actually timed it) and I have never managed to drain it yet in one day. You cant beat that for service life.

I was with a friend using a new 6000 a couple of weeks ago. Started the day detecting about 8.00am. Stopped for lunch about 12.00pm for 20 minutes. Then used the detector solid until 3.00pm. We stopped for a drink then and changed the coil to the Mono. The 6000 had already started its beeping power warnings just before 3,00pm.  I think the detector had reduced the power bar to only one prior to swapping coils. We used the 6000 to 4.00pm. By this time the detector had sounded 9 warning beeps approx every 5 minutes with no battery bar in the display. Yes, thats 8 hours approx but I can use the GPZ from 6.00am to dusk say 6.00pm. 

It`s just not good enough with the cost of the unit and the days spent testing prior to release. That is not aimed at JP but firmly at Minelab. I also noticed when I had a chance to try the detector fitted with the 11 inch Mono that the unit is rear heavy out of balance. (thats even with the shafts fully extended to the red lines). If you pick up the machine only by the handle and not the back arm sleeve, the coil lifts into the air. Im used to the GPZ being nose heavy and when you pick it up by the handle, your lower arm rests against the back arm sleeve and you can locate your target. This out of balance creates more stress on the handle base if your arm is not inside the sleeve support. I found the 6000 is not easily picked up through the sleeve by one hand if you have a pick in the other.  cheers sturt 

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The battery lasts a solid 8 hours if you use headphones, less if using external speaker. Enough for most people, but I do exceed 8 hour days at times, and so I do have a spare battery. My solution is simply to charge both each night. There are many ways one might do that, depending on the length of the trip and available camp facilities. The simple route is a pair of 12V clips hooked to vehicle battery, one as supplied with the detector, and a second purchased set, part# 67-90204 (same as GPZ 7000, Gold Monster, etc). You would of course not want to do this multiple nights in a row without running the vehicle or keeping the battery topped off with a solar panel, or some other method.

minelab-gpx-6000-alligator-clip-battery-cable.jpg

Hi Steve, thanks for that. We where using the internal speaker because of situation awareness with cattle around. It just seems to me that if you buy a 6000 detector you need to be prepared to outlay considerable extra funds to ensure the detector runs how it should do. Keep in mind the detector started the power beep warnings before 3.00pm. cheers sturt

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

It just seems to me that if you buy a 6000 detector you need to be prepared to outlay considerable extra funds to ensure the detector runs how it should do.

I have to say that's just been the norm for me, with everything to spare batteries, to piles of coils. There are many people who can use a GPX 6000 with no additional purchases. May even be the majority. Serious power users will almost always need extras for any detector they buy. If they loaded every detector with a bunch of extras to suit the pro users, then the more casual people would complain about paying for stuff they do not need.

The GPX 6000 is perfectly balanced, not rear heavy at all, so I do not know what that's all about.

• Like 4

On 10/27/2021 at 9:56 AM, sturt said:

The 6000 had already started its beeping power warnings just before 3,00pm.  I think the detector had reduced the power bar to only one prior to swapping coils. We used the 6000 to 4.00pm. By this time the detector had sounded 9 warning beeps approx every 5 minutes with no battery bar in the display.

Okay that sound I heard would have been the first warning beep so from what you are saying sturt, then with no Battery bar showing (although my Battery icon was flashing with no Battery bar showing) I should expect to hear warning beeps around 5 minutes apart and at some time then the detector will shut down. 

37 minutes ago, goldenoldie said:

Okay that sound I heard would have been the first warning beep so from what you are saying sturt, then with no Battery bar showing (although my Battery icon was flashing with no Battery bar showing) I should expect to hear warning beeps around 5 minutes apart and at some time then the detector will shut down. 

Steve mentioned if using the External speaker the Battery lasts less in run time than if using a headphone.

Another thing I had wondered in regards to Battery run time is does the amount of targets the detector responds to throughout the days detecting have any bearing on the Battery's run time?

The battery bar does disappear after a while I think was about the start of the last hour. During the last hour the warning beep sounded about 9 times. We where using the detector speaker not using blootooth.

We did find some nuggets and we where sharing the finds, me detecting and my mate digging. It was a wonderful arrangement. But very funny when I would say "just one more, just one more" I would put a cross on the ground and say dig, dig. Then you hoped the detector would not shut down in protest before finding the target. A great afternoon 4 hours detecting and sharing the spoils, picked up 30 pieces in ground I already went over numerous times before with my 7000. cheers sturt

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sturt said:

Hi all. I use a GPZ 7000 at the moment. I will be looking at the new 6000 early in the new year. I spoke to a supplier today asking if the mains charger for the 7000 is compatible with battery for the 6000. WAS TOLD NO, as the 7000 mains power transformer supplied is 18 volt not 12 volt.

Looking at both systems firstly the 7000 series.   Tansformer   input 240 volt- 0.7 amp    output  output 18 volt- 1.67 amp

Goes to BC 10 cradle   input 11-30 volt  23w max   output  8.4 volt- 2 amp AND  5 volt- 0.67 amp

The battery states 7.2 volt  total capacity 72Wh

Now the GPX 6000                                                 Transformer  input 240 volt- .5 amp Max   output  12 volt- 10 amp

Trans plugs directly into battery   input 12 volt- 1.0 amp?  output 7.2 volt- 42Wh

What this tells me is Minelab have produced a new detector which uses the same voltage to run as the 7000 but the charging components are not compatible between the models. Should be.

The new 6000 uses a reduced capacity battery (weight issue?)which  does not last the full day, then you need a spare which you cant charge with mains power until the original is fully charged in about 5/6 hours. After a big day in the field I cant stay awake to swap the batteries so I need another transformer as well?

I am told by the Dealer though you could use the two car power leads as they are connected to a 12 volt car battery. Cheers sturt

Any 12v charger that is the same amperage or greater with the same connector and polarity will work just fine, I’m using and old Netgear router one got my second 6000 battery it works just like the Minelab charger. 

• Like 3