Nokta/Makro Smf Live Launch

22 minutes ago, phrunt said:

We've lived through two years of "coming sometime"

I'll wait and see how it pans out, I'm in no rush to buy this one.  There have been some pretty bold claims about it directly from Nokta, but I'd rather wait and see, others can be my guinea pigs.  It either has to be better or I don't want it.  I don't care if it's cheaper, it would need to be unless of course it's better.

I'll gladly be the PIG. Which stands for Pretty Important Guy ! 🤣. According to Dilek , it will be in the simplex housing ( more robust) than the Nox. That also has a flashlight and I'm sure more waterproof. A CF shaft and coil ears that aren't going to snap off. Oh....and it's cheaper ? Sign this PIG up !

8 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

I'll gladly be the PIG. Which stands for Pretty Important Guy ! 🤣. According to Dilek , it will be in the simplex housing ( more robust) than the Nox. That also has a flashlight and I'm sure more waterproof. A CF shaft and coil ears that aren't going to snap off. Oh....and it's cheaper ? Sign this PIG up !

Just my opinion, but adding a flashlight to a metal detector seems gimmicky to me and surely won’t sway my decision to buy this over the deus2.  The few times I’ve hunted when it was too dark to see, a $10 headlamp worked well.  What is important to me first and foremost is performance in iron and modern trash. Second is ergonomics.  I’m definitely in the market to try something new and hopefully better than my nox which I’ve been using almost exclusively for the last three and a half years.  Price is another issue up to a certain cost.  I’d be willing to pay up to around $1700 or so.  My cut off is definitely $2000.  (Unless I dig up something really valuable in the next few months.  Lol).  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

Just my opinion, but adding a flashlight to a metal detector seems gimmicky to me and surely won’t sway my decision to buy this over the deus2.  The few times I’ve hunted when it was too dark to see, a $10 headlamp worked well.  What is important to me first and foremost is performance in iron and modern trash. Second is ergonomics.  I’m definitely in the market to try something new and hopefully better than my nox which I’ve been using almost exclusively for the last three and a half years.  Price is another issue up to a certain cost.  I’d be willing to pay up to around $1700 or so.  My cut off is definitely $2000.  (Unless I dig up something really valuable in the next few months.  Lol).  

I couldn't agree more. I do quite a bit of night stalking. Sometimes I have my headlamp on all the time , other times not at all. Depends on time and location. But performance and ergonomics is the most important. Hopefully we will see what they have soon.

Things are heating up…can’t wait. Take my money. Btw, I love the flashlight and vibration. In the summer I like to night hunt. Beach hunters will like it too, searching the sand after the day is done. If a detector doesn’t have a flashlight I buy a mount to add my own anyway. Vibration has worked well underwater for me too. I hope they retain these features, and there seem to be enough of us who do like it to justify keeping it. Even those who think it unnecessary would have a hard time making a case for why it should be removed from the rest of us. It obviously doesn’t add anything significant to cost and doesn’t hinder anyone’s ability to ignore it altogether if they don’t find it useful. 

This is the Nokta/Makro forum, for discussion of NM detectors. For who want to speculate on this versus that, I’ve started a new thread in the Advice & Comparisons Forum. Please go there to talk about this brand versus that brand, and leave discussion here to the NM Multi alone. If anyone misses this post, I’ll be moving threads of that sort to this new catch all thread. Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't need a flashlight to hunt the beaches, even in a place with no homes and no moon.

all this hype about news like NM or deus2, with these timers, ama, live, launch ... reminds me of the least of NFTs, cryptocurrencies. we are definitely in a changed world.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:50 PM, King-Of-Bling said:

Pretty clever Dilek. I’m a pretty frugal guy who saves and watches every penny I spend. Where I can I like to buy gently used. Not always though. There have been a couple phones and metal detectors I did not want to wait for. Equinox was one of them. If the features are exciting enough I don’t mind at all being an early adopter. The worst that can happen is losing a little money. We’re not talking thousands of dollars, just the difference between new and used. There’s being too frugal as well, as my wife is always reminding me. If there are things to be ironed out or some growing pains, we aren’t dealing with shady street hustlers. They’ll make it right. I think most of these companies have earned that assumption, that in the long run we are going to be fine and can trust them to protect our purchases and their reputation. Even more the case now that software issues can be remedied at home. 

I can understand not wanting to waste time though. Not everyone has the time to experiment and not everyone enjoys it. I love putting one machine up against another and seeing what they can do compared to others in my environment. Fun is always had even where I part with the “loser.” 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, King-Of-Bling said:

According to Dilek , it will be in the simplex housing ( more robust) than the Nox.

I'm not sure this is a selling point for me. After many years, lots of detectors, and lots of thought, I finally figured out the straight shaft versus S shaft thing. If a detector is over somewhere around 4 lbs, 5 lbs for sure, a straight shaft is the way to go. The weight of the detector causes it to "hang" securely under the grip.

Under 4 pounds, the lighter the detector gets, rotational forces start to kick in with any straight shaft design. Now the handle wants to lean this way or that if the coil is pressed against anything, and that rotational force is at play even when just swinging the detector. I prefer a proper S shaft on light detectors, where the grip is inline with the coil, and this rotational force minimized or eliminated. This defines the "XP comfort edge"

This explains a major reason why the Nox is uncomfortable, and I found the exact same issue with the Simplex. Bottom line it's not a reason not to own a detector, but I do think as a general rule, it should be S shaft for light detectors, straight shaft for heavy detectors. And in both cases, balance is a critical factor, with underarm battery boxes having a distinct edge.

Long story short, I agree Simplex is a robust housing, excepting the weak lower rod, but not what I prefer.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And in both cases, balance is a critical factor, with underarm battery boxes having a distinct edge.

This machine will have an underarm battery for some reason. I’m still not sure why it would unless it’s going to draw that much more power than the Simplex. It’s competitor does well in terms of battery life with the battery tucked away in the handle. Simplex does well with the battery in the control block. So either this underarm battery is an optional secondary power source for purposes of balance and/or extending battery life, or it’s the primary power source. If it’s the primary or only power source it has me thinking/wondering what they are up to, to need so much juice, unless it is all about balance. 

• Like 1