Nokta/Makro Smf Live Launch

I would be surprised if the battery is under the arm unless it's the parts problem.

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I'm not sure this is a selling point for me. After many years, lots of detectors, and lots of thought, I finally figured out the straight shaft versus S shaft thing. If a detector is over somewhere around 4 lbs, 5 lbs for sure, a straight shaft is the way to go. The weight of the detector causes it to "hang" securely under the grip.

Under 4 pounds, the lighter the detector gets, rotational forces start to kick in with any straight shaft design. Now the handle wants to lean this way or that if the coil is pressed against anything, and that rotational force is at play even when just swinging the detector. I prefer a proper S shaft on light detectors, where the grip is inline with the coil, and this rotational force minimized or eliminated. This defines the "XP comfort edge"

This explains a major reason why the Nox is uncomfortable, and I found the exact same issue with the Simplex. Bottom line it's not a reason not to own a detector, but I do think as a general rule, it should be S shaft for light detectors, straight shaft for heavy detectors. And in both cases, balance is a critical factor, with underarm battery boxes having a distinct edge.

Long story short, I agree Simplex is a robust housing, excepting the weak lower rod, but not what I prefer.

Well I believe the new Nokta will have a CF shaft. And robust meaning it not being as fragile as the Nox. Also I believe truly waterproof.

Regarding shafts. I agree on all your points. I prefer the S style over straight. This is an area I believe manufacturers have overlooked for years. Balance and ergonomics is extremely important , more so as we age. Doesn't really matter how light (Nox) a detector is. How long can we comfortably swing is the key. The twist and rotational forces on the wrists , forearms , elbows and shoulders all start hurting after 3-4 hours or so. This really should be where the aftermarket guys come in. But no , they just do CF , maybe add a weight and some foo-foo colors. Not innovative in the actual design of a new shaft. But myself , I can't think of anything else yet either. Towards the end of using my Nox , I rotated the control box at 2 o'clock and locked it in. Swinging left handed it was weird at 1st having the coil and grip in different directions. But the rotational force was reduced and it was easier to view the screen. I have seen a few bizarre looking shafts online overseas but have never tried them. I have tried just about every bungee , swingy thingy , strap , harness out there. These help though only marginally. Still no innovation on shaft design.

31 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Source of that information please.

Direct from Dilek in live interview I’ve previously posted. I’ll have to dig a bit to get back to it, but I’ll find it. It’ll be a removable, user replaceable underarm battery. That’s what the rail is for between the arm cuff and down behind the handle. It will slide down and lock into place. They are apparently not happy about how much extra weight it put on though, registering around 3.8-3.9 ibs before recent revision. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

This machine will have an underarm battery for some reason. I’m still not sure why it would unless it’s going to draw that much more power than the Simplex. It’s competitor does well in terms of battery life with the battery tucked away in the handle. Simplex does well with the battery in the control block. So either this underarm battery is an optional secondary power source for purposes of balance and/or extending battery life, or it’s the primary power source. If it’s the primary or only power source it has me thinking/wondering what they are up to, to need so much juice, unless it is all about balance. 

Probably both to address high power needs of a multi, and balance is a bonus. Balance makes a huge difference in any detector, and actually more than makes up for any weight added as far as comfort goes. F75 design pretty much nails ergo for zero rotational force, and perfect balance.

The Anfibio is a better design than the Simplex, even though still a straight shaft, due to batteries under arm. I like this setup a lot actually. Stout, still not too heavy, well balanced.

nokta-makro-anfibio-14-metal-detector.jpg

But for their lighter machines, I much prefer the feel of the Kruzer models over the Simplex....

nokta-makro-multi-kruzer-metal-detector.jpg

The Racers were probably the best, with the underarm battery, except for the unfortunate placement of the power knob. Great balance and feel, but not waterproof of course.

makro-racer-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 3

It will be for easy removal and replacement too, up inside the handle isn't as easy to pop off as under the arm cuff.  If it just clips in it'd be easy to carry a spare if you're going away for a weekend or something.  I think it's a good idea.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Source of that information please.

Start at 16:30 Chase. The whole interview is worth listening to. A lot of good questions asked and answered here. I usually listen at 2x speed to save time. https://youtu.be/VgGbJPoSeQ0

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Start at 16:30 Chase. The whole interview is worth listening to. A lot of good questions asked and answered here. I usually listen at 2x speed to save time. https://youtu.be/VgGbJPoSeQ0

Although who knows what it looks like now nearly 6 mos later.  Dilek posted here on Sept. 14, that they basically had to go back to the drawing board with the physical design due to issues identified during prototype testing and some of the features/descriptions she talked about in earlier videos had changed.

Now regarding the SMF, we decided to make some major changes to the device after the first prototypes were produced including some features that I had mentioned in my earlier videos/interviews.  We believe that our valued customers will excuse us and understand that the changes are all for the good and that the delay is only due to our efforts for trying to make the device lighter and more user friendly for the customer. 

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Although who knows what it looks like now nearly 6 mos later.  Dilek posted here on Sept. 14, that they basically had to go back to the drawing board with the physical design due to issues identified during prototype testing and some of the features/descriptions she talked about in earlier videos had changed.

This is always possible. Mostly I was hoping the extra draw on power is due to one of my wish list items, that being color graphics. It’s a question she’s never been asked about, which surprised me. I’d have thought there’d be more interest in that, but then again, how many people have ever experienced these graphics to know if they want them, being that they have been on machines in the $1,500-$2,500 range. 

Personally I think they should ditch the whole Simplex shaft system if it requires an awkward seeming battery setup, or find a way to cram the juice into the shaft somehow, and just introduce an optional underarm battery as a secondary source since the rail system is already in place for it. 

1 minute ago, ☠ Cipher said:

This is always possible. Mostly I was hoping the extra draw on power is due to one of my wish list items, that being color graphics. It’s a question she’s never been asked about, which surprised me. I’d have thought there’d be more interest in that, but then again, how many people have ever experienced these graphics to know if they want them, being that they have been on machines in the $1,500-$2,500 range. 

Given their repeated emphasis on cost/value and simplicity of operation as a driving force, I would say the chances of such a feature appearing on the Nokta machine would be slim.

I like a detector that comes apart, giving me the options of hip mounting or using another shaft. It sounds like this one can't do that. If it's well balanced it should work just fine.