Nokta/Makro Smf Live Launch

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Balance makes a huge difference in any detector, and actually more than makes up for any weight added as far as comfort goes. F75 design pretty much nails ergo for zero rotational force, and perfect balance.

Steve, thanks for saving me a longer post than this one as I was going to say exactly that.  Between my ~3 lb ML Eqiunox fitted with its stock 11" round DD coil (with S-shaft that I 'stole' from the ML X-Terra 705) and the 3.5 lb Fisher F75 (with either the stock 7"x11" DD or the aftermarket Detech Ultimate 13" round DD), long hours (4+ in my case) leads to more back issues with the lighter Eqx.  That discomfort is a bigger problem with the (heavier) ML Eqx 12"x15" DD coil.

As always, I like options and having a battery system that can take multiple types of batteries (e.g. lithium rechargeables, Nickel-Metal-Hydride rechargeables, and alkaline disposables) is my preference.  I realize that strapping on an external power source when the non-removable rechargeable battery on some detectors runs out is an option, but it adds weight (and imbalance) to a hopefully already balanced detector as opposed to a swap out.

Having said that, for a waterproof detector, swappable batteries could lead to bigger engineering headaches (and weight?) than a dedicated non-removable rechargeable.  Not being a water detectorist, it's less of a concern for me, but for others....

It's too bad detectors aren't made in two versions -- waterproof and non-waterproof.  (Actually White's did this with a couple of their models.)  That might save some cost for those who aren't interested in waterproofness, although maybe some (or all) of that savings would be offset by extra engineering cost.

(I hope all this is on-topic.  We'll know more in 2 1/2 weeks!)

• Like 1

Steve, you hit the nail on the head re shafts. 

For me, the original Racer was perfect. Balance and handle angle. Racer 2 they went to the more forward leaning handle which twists the wrist forward. It is fine with very small coils, like 5" or 7x4 on the Gold Kruzer, as there is very little downwards pressure. For the 9x5" coils, I found the Anfibio or Impact shaft to be the best. Impact although heavier, is better balanced with the batteries right up the back. Anfibio is the same with the optional battery pod, but that obviously increases overall weight. 

The Fors series design is also excellent, especially for running larger coils, as there's more weight up the back and less on top of the pod. This is almost a perfect design for me. If this platform ever got relaunched, (imho it would be very suitable for a gold machine), I'd change  the middle and lower shafts to carbon, and it would be awesome. 

My main interest in this new machine is 2-fold.

1. How well it does on the beach

2. How well it does on gold (lots of new customers still want a good all-rounder) 

Also, it will be interesting to see if ID's on fringe targets and large ferrous is improved. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Given their repeated emphasis on cost/value and simplicity of operation as a driving force, I would say the chances of such a feature appearing on the Nokta machine would be slim.

I’m very much doubting that I’ll see what I want too, but then their slogan is “do not accept paying more for less.” By this I’d say it’s a safe bet that it will cost less than equinox, yet offer more, but more of what? More of a robust housing I’m sure. Maybe more battery life. It would seem that they would also try to outdo the feature set, I just wonder how. More frequency selection? more frequency mixes? Or maybe some visual graphic that others in the price range lack. It wouldn’t necessarily have to be in color. It could be done via shading or thickness of lines. I’d be willing to bet that the continuous display of a graphic like a spectrograph draws more energy than color itself though. Not everyone finds such things helpful, but for anyone who loves other SMF machines, if you ask them what their favorite features are they are almost always going to say the Spectrograph along with 3-frequency pinpoint no motion, signagraph, polar plot (x,y) and target trace. There’s a part of me that wants everything in one machine, but there’s another that would be happy if all the SMF machines I already have remain relevant for having features others lack.

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

It's too bad detectors aren't made in two versions -- waterproof and non-waterproof. 

Isn't the Minelab Excalibur II a waterproof version of one of their land-based machines? Maybe it was the Sovereign?

• Like 1

Yes, Excalibur and Sovereign are the same. Excalibur is waterproof.

• Like 2

Let's not forget some of the "more for less" will be the led light, vibration and carbon shaft... it may even mean they throw in a hat or some Nokta undies! More doesn't necessarily mean more to do with the electronics/performance...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Let's not forget some of the "more for less" will be the led light, vibration and carbon shaft... it may even mean they throw in a hat or some Nokta undies! More doesn't necessarily mean more to do with the electronics/performance...

Autographed by Dilek ?😛

On 10/29/2021 at 8:01 PM, phrunt said:

yea, only took 2 years.

Longer, it actually got leaked out that they were looking at SMF in the Racer days 🙂

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1