What Would You Be Willing To Pay For The Deus 2?

NCtoad

3 hours ago, lemarquez said:

I think this deus 2 is stillborn. Too expensive, no big innovations. I think that XP is completely wrong. Where brands like Minelab give access to simultaneous multi frequencies or Garrett with its Apex, XP still makes you pay full price. I live in France and I found a very interesting article about this machine. Sorry it's in French, but at least this blog is not linked to a store that sells this product and shows all the deceit of this detector. https://www.savoir-tout-sur-tout.fr/xp-deus-2-fmf-detecteur/

I’d say you have almost no real feeling for what will sell or not on the open marketplace. Too expensive for you perhaps, but not for most of the people who frequent these forums. My GPX 6000 is expensive. The Deus 2? Not so much. As far as deceit, that’s just silly talk. I see nothing in XPs marketing that is pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes. If anyone is being deceived it’s because they do not understand the technologies involved, and how they actually work. 

• Like 7

I personally look at the price of detectors by if I think I would be able to get value out of them and not necessarily financial value, either in finds or enjoyment.  For detectors like the Deus I would mostly use for coins and jewellery although it seems it's quite a good prospecting detector too, I just don't like the available coil sizes for prospecting and if they wanted to make it a more realistic prospecting detector for me personally, I'd need smaller coils, the typical 5"/6" round and 10x5" would do the trick.

So as a coin/jewellery detector would I get value out of it's price? Most likely, I've paid for my other VLF I mainly use for this so many times over now with coins and jewellery that it'd be reasonable to think I'd turn a profit on the Deus, that's without even taking into consideration the value I'd get out of it as entertainment.  If I was for example to take my boat out for a spin every week the fuel cost alone would end up costing what the detector costs me in no time, would I rather use the boat or the detector? Depends... most likely I'd end up enjoying using the detector more and use it far more frequently so the money I save on fuel for the boat would quickly pay for the detector.

A boat can be rewarding too, you can catch fish which if you're good at it can turn a profit on the day I would think, not for me but perhaps for someone good at it 😛

boat.thumb.jpg.fe09d6df388d42417c09e2c116fbc0d7.jpg

fish.thumb.jpg.4c6ebddd5058519f4191c66df4e81c8e.jpg

My efforts a couple of weeks ago.   Unlike gold though, the little fish you have to throw back so even though I caught two fish only the one in the photo was a keeper.

Virtually all hobbies cost money, many are expensive, very few can pay for themselves which detectors can.

Detectors are one of the few hobbies I know of that can be profitable, and if the cost of the detector is part of the consideration of purchase then you can often justify the purchase cost by the returns in finds.

Gold Detectors for me are a bit different, I'd struggle to ever pay a non-VLF gold detector off in finds, maybe one day but so far I've only paid off my GPX 4500 and a coil for it I guess but I'm not in an exceptionally good gold location.... I'd take me a lot longer to pay off my more expensive gold detectors so for them it's more about the enjoyment of doing it than the returns although the chance of a return is always possible, and that's what makes the hobby a challenge and enjoyable.

So is the cost of the Deus a problem? Yes and no, it is expensive for a VLF, but is it worth it? I think it probably is and I look forward to hearing how the early adopters go with it and their opinions on it before I make my decision.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I personally look at the price of detectors by if I think I would be able to get value out of them and not necessarily financial value, either in finds or enjoyment.  For detectors like the Deus I would mostly use for coins and jewellery although it seems it's quite a good prospecting detector too, I just don't like the available coil sizes for prospecting and if they wanted to make it a more realistic prospecting detector for me personally, I'd need smaller coils, the typical 5"/6" round and 10x5" would do the trick.

So as a coin/jewellery detector would I get value out of it's price? Most likely, I've paid for my other VLF I mainly use for this so many times over now with coins and jewellery that it'd be reasonable to think I'd turn a profit on the Deus, that's without even taking into consideration the value I'd get out of it as entertainment.  If I was for example to take my boat out for a spin every week the fuel cost alone would end up costing what the detector costs me in no time, would I rather use the boat or the detector? Depends... most likely I'd end up enjoying using the detector more and use it far more frequently so the money I save on fuel for the boat would quickly pay for the detector.

A boat can be rewarding too, you can catch fish which if you're good at it can turn a profit on the day I would think, not for me but perhaps for someone good at it 😛

boat.thumb.jpg.fe09d6df388d42417c09e2c116fbc0d7.jpg

fish.thumb.jpg.4c6ebddd5058519f4191c66df4e81c8e.jpg

My efforts a couple of weeks ago.   Unlike gold though, the little fish you have to throw back so even though I caught two fish only the one in the photo was a keeper.

Virtually all hobbies cost money, many are expensive, very few can pay for themselves which detectors can.

Detectors are one of the few hobbies I know of that can be profitable, and if the cost of the detector is part of the consideration of purchase then you can often justify the purchase cost by the returns in finds.

Gold Detectors for me are a bit different, I'd struggle to ever pay a non-VLF gold detector off in finds, maybe one day but so far I've only paid off my GPX 4500 and a coil for it I guess but I'm not in an exceptionally good gold location.... I'd take me a lot longer to pay off my more expensive gold detectors so for them it's more about the enjoyment of doing it than the returns although the chance of a return is always possible, and that's what makes the hobby a challenge and enjoyable.

So is the cost of the Deus a problem? Yes and no, it is expensive for a VLF, but is it worth it? I think it probably is and I look forward to hearing how the early adopters go with it and their opinions on it before I make my decision.

Awesome pics Phrunt!   Looks like you’ve got the whole lake to yourself.

16 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Awesome pics Phrunt!   Looks like you’ve got the whole lake to yourself.

Yes, it's not unusual to be on one of the only boats on the lake, rather odd as a reasonable population around the lake and no shortage of people with the money to buy boats.

1527574141_boat4.thumb.jpg.2db55513a8f338234851aa293b49baf4.jpg

Kids don't mind a swim but a bit cold for me

2029920934_boat3.thumb.jpg.cc20d99818b288497fd88ce672e0a5fe.jpg1313899727_boat2.thumb.jpg.42ace4d1e19491d3c3789a9930e7c51e.jpg

The lake front is difficult detecting, full of hot rocks as detectors struggle a fair bit, the Deus 2 could actually be quite good for the lakefront, I hadn't thought about that until now as people use it to pull good targets out of heavy trash, I could use it to pull good targets out of heavy hot rock infestations.  Being waterproof would also be good for the hotter of days for getting the stuff people swimming lose, quite a number of people swim, especially northern hemisphere tourists that are more used to swimming in colder water than me from Brisbane, Australia 😛  I imagine when their hands hit the cooler water their fingers shrink a bit and rings come off.... I've been put off doing it due to the detectors struggling with the hot rocks.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, lemarquez said:

I think this deus 2 is stillborn. Too expensive, no big innovations. I think that XP is completely wrong. Where brands like Minelab give access to simultaneous multi frequencies or Garrett with its Apex, XP still makes you pay full price. I live in France and I found a very interesting article about this machine. Sorry it's in French, but at least this blog is not linked to a store that sells this product and shows all the deceit of this detector. https://www.savoir-tout-sur-tout.fr/xp-deus-2-fmf-detecteur/

Yes, Deus II is relatively expensive (compared to Equinox, but not to Deus I) and may not separate itself significantly from Equinox in terms of SMF performance, but that is not the only factor driving product cost or value.  Deus I is often touted as a compliment to Equinox due to its purported superior performance in iron (vs. Equinox) which is complimented by its multiple audio modes - multi-tone, pitch, full tone, and iron volume - Deus II should also carry on that legacy.  Also, none of the detectors you mentioned are designed to work at 20 meters - that does not come at zero cost .  In fact, Apex is not waterproof at all, and the design robustness of Equinox's even modest 3m waterproof design are somewhat in doubt given the documented occurrences of detector failure.  Furthermore, the convenience of the fully wireless platform in terms of configuration versatility, compactness, and light weight also tends to add value over Equinox (though accessory coil availability and cost suffers).  So, I have to disagree with your stillborn opinion.  Certainly, based on what I do know about my dealer's pre-order list, the Deus II is making a pre-release splash similar to what was observed with Equinox.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

The processing of the Deus is done in the coil as doing it in the control pod would not work well using wireless, it'd be slow to send the signal to the control box, process it and send it back to the coil.  The Chinese mental detector MD3030 would end up being faster.  If it just had a "standard" version available with coil cables it'd make the coils for it cheaper and open them up to another market that don't want to pay as much for a detector and don't care about the wireless.

They could potentially make a Deus 2 Basic or something to be more competitive in price with other detectors that is a wired version if they wanted to take more of the market share.

It's good they've done some work on the audio as it's rare people say good things about the audio sound. 

"In terms of sound, the user will have the choice between 5 different sound modes (PWM, SQUARE, Pinpoint, Pitch PWM and Pitch Square) themselves adjustable to have a more punchy or round sound according to the tastes of each one."

I found this statement from the French article interesting.... Not sure how correct it is.

"MF like Fast Multi Frequency or, for good French speakers that we are, a true simultaneous multifrequency detector. A revolution ? Not really, because this technology was already presented 2 years ago by Minelab with its Equinox 600 and 800 and its Multi IQ. the Xplorer company filed its patent in 2016 not far without difficulty in the face of the technological similarity of the FMF with that of Minelab. Can we say that the FMF is better than the Multi IQ, no! Because the 2 technologies are identical and are only differentiated by the territorial origin of the patent.

We will therefore have the choice, with this Deus 2 FMF, of being able to choose 49 frequencies ranging from 4 to 45 Khz divided into 7 frequency ranges: 4, 7, 15, 21, 28, 35, 45 kHz on 24 programs (12 programs factories and 12 additional customizable programs) and can be chosen individually or simultaneously, i.e. all frequencies at the same time. As always with XP this large number of advanced frequencies is to be put into perspective, because XP has always counted the frequency shifts as natural frequencies as is the case on the first Deus of the name or the ORX."

Not sure if it was the translation or the authors have reading comprehension problems, but perusal of the 12 Deus II program descriptions makes it pretty clear that there are basically 8 FMF programs (including gold field/relic all metal programs) with various frequency spectrum weightings and one single frequency program.  And XP is also not stating that all the individual frequencies are simultaneously transmitted as stated in the article.  Another typical uninformed misconception of multifrequency implementation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lemarquez said:

Hopefully some of your critique was colored by translation issues…..

I have always thought that the Deus 1 was overpriced by about $300 US. XP (much like Minelab in their gold prospecting detectors) charges a big premium for their software development and implementation. 

I agree with you that it is very good that Minelab and Garrett have given people with less money the opportunity to have entry level priced detectors with simultaneous multi frequency technology and Minelab still offers the Equinox 600 with plenty of features that make it a great detector at a great price. XP gave us the ORX but after using it for awhile, its very feature limited coin modes were just too much of a hurdle for me to deal with.

There are five areas from my experience that XP needed to really improve on the original Deus. Waterproof, better audio choices besides multi toned hybrid VCO, an updated remote control with larger display characters and much easier button operation, better salt beach and added saltwater operation and most of all much more accurate target ID on medium to deep targets especially in more mineralized ground/beaches.

The first three appear to have been addressed well, the last two will depend on the quality of the simultaneous multi frequency technology they have developed for Deus ll.

If all 5 of the weaknesses I mentioned are successfully addressed, XP has the right to charge $1200 to $1500 US for Deus ll. I am certain that many current Deus l owners and plenty of others in North America will buy one in that price range especially if there are Deus ll Lite options.

• Like 7

The difference in  pressure  between 3 meters and 20 meters is a lot. The 20 meter rating should help those who hunt in  surging waters.That insurance gives the  Deus 2   $ 250 in value in my  book over the Nox for waterproofing .The difference to me at this point is  $ 400 between the 2.If the single frequencies  are  better then the Nox in iron where you can tell the difference then that is over  $200 in value which will probably be the case since they have the  tech. If the machine  helps you    from not feeling sore because it is so light then that has to count for  something too.If the machine in MF is better then the Nox  in iron then you are getting a machine that is giving you what  you  paid for and maybe more.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2021 at 6:08 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Hopefully some of your critique was colored by translation issues…..

I have always thought that the Deus 1 was overpriced by about $300 US. XP (much like Minelab in their gold prospecting detectors) charges a big premium for their software development and implementation. 

I agree with you that it is very good that Minelab and Garrett have given people with less money the opportunity to have entry level priced detectors with simultaneous multi frequency technology and Minelab still offers the Equinox 600 with plenty of features that make it a great detector at a great price. XP gave us the ORX but after using it for awhile, its very feature limited coin modes were just too much of a hurdle for me to deal with.

There are five areas from my experience that XP needed to really improve on the original Deus. Waterproof, better audio choices besides multi toned hybrid VCO, an updated remote control with larger display characters and much easier button operation, better salt beach and added saltwater operation and most of all much more accurate target ID on medium to deep targets especially in more mineralized ground/beaches.

The first three appear to have been addressed well, the last two will depend on the quality of the simultaneous multi frequency technology they have developed for Deus ll.

If all 5 of the weaknesses I mentioned are successfully addressed, XP has the right to charge $1200 to $1500 US for Deus ll. I am certain that many current Deus l owners and plenty of others in North America will buy one in that price range especially if there are Deus ll Lite options.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Deus 1 and your agreement with the previous comment. I can understand your perspective on the pricing of the detector and how XP may charge a premium for their software development and implementation.

It is indeed great that companies like Minelab and Garrett are offering entry-level priced detectors with simultaneous multi-frequency technology, and Minelab's Equinox 600 seems to be a good detector at a reasonable price. However, I can also see how the limited coin modes of the ORX could be a hurdle for some users.

I agree with you that XP should address the five weaknesses you mentioned in order to justify a higher price for the Deus ll. It's good to hear that the first three issues have been addressed, and the success of the last two will depend on the quality of the simultaneous multi-frequency technology developed for the Deus ll. 

I agree that if XP can successfully address these weaknesses, they have the right to charge a higher price for the Deus ll, and many current Deus l owners and potential customers may be willing to buy one, especially if there are more affordable options available. Thank you for your insightful comment!