Rye Patch Nv Keys Found

Another reason to have 2 sets of keys handy, I had a key FOB fail once went I went to leave the desert(middle of no where).  My car would start and run for 2 or 3 seconds and then turn off (car thinks it is a fake key and stops).  At that point,  I wasn't sure what was going on and was nervous that I may be stuck..  Luckily, with my second set of keys, I had no problem  and my vehicle started and ran fine.  It was an "eye opener"- gotta love technology!

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, fi4451 said:

Another reason to have 2 sets of keys handy, I had a key FOB fail once went I went to leave the desert(middle of no where).  My car would start and run for 2 or 3 seconds and then turn off (car thinks it is a fake key and stops).  At that point,  I wasn't sure what was going on and was nervous that I may be stuck..  Luckily, with my second set of keys, I had no problem  and my vehicle started and ran fine.  It was an "eye opener"- gotta love technology!

Some of these new-fangled automobile electronics were NOT designed for outdoorsmen...LOL

Jim

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

When I have the chance to pan or sluice for gold in our nearby creeks, I always put a note on the dash so the police can read it.

I have it written like this,

Please do not tow my vehicle as my battery is dead and need to pick up something to remove the snake that is under the seat. I will be back shortly.

I have left the Expedition unlocked and have never had anyone touch it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jim said ...........Some of these new-fangled automobile electronics were NOT designed for outdoorsmen...LOL

In 2003 I went to WA and was way out in the desert when I got my first flat in my new Toyota Prado Grande. When I unlock the tyre cover one of the studs had a chrome cylinder lock. Panic I was 40 odd Km from help and the salesman had not given me additional key for it. Carol said try the ignition key which was still in the ignition. It worked. 😂   

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

13 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Some of these new-fangled automobile electronics were NOT designed for outdoorsmen...LOL

Jim

Jim, I very much agree with you! Good thing is at least some of the cars, particularly Toyotas and maybe others, have a built in door key and there’s an inductive pad behind the start button so if you hold your fob up against it, it will get enough power to activate, even if the fob battery is dead.  Now if you accidentally smacked the fob with a rock or something, you're out of luck.  Guess you’d have to hope that you brought enough water to wait for help or at least for a safe walk back! 😉

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

Jim, I very much agree with you! Good thing is at least some of the cars, particularly Toyotas and maybe others, have a built in door key and there’s an inductive pad behind the start button so if you hold your fob up against it, it will get enough power to activate, even if the fob battery is dead.  Now if you accidentally smacked the fob with a rock or something, you're out of luck.  Guess you’d have to hope that you brought enough water to wait for help or at least for a safe walk back! 😉

I don't have to worry about it. If the Dodge ever pukes, I'll spend my money finding, repairing, and driving another one of the same year. I will never own, or buy a new outdoor vehicle, unless the morons currently in charge force me to.

Jim

• Like 1

I've never been stranded, in the more than 50 years I've spent in the outdoors. Closest I came was a 3/4 ton Ford 4x4 that had a rebuilt starter fail. I also made the rookie mistake of parking it facing uphill against a wall of brush...REALLY dumb! So, I rolled it backwards until the two track leveled out. Then I had to use the Rokon to pull it around and down to a sloped section of road. All this while alone, I might add. Then I had to use the Rokon to get it rolling, drop the Rokon, unhook the rope, and jump in the cab to get it in gear. Took several tries to sort it all out, but finally got the truck started, the Rokon loaded, and back to the camper. At 72, I doubt I could do that now....LOL

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

I have 2 sets of keys, I leave the spare set at camp in one of my clothes bags, I put the ones I am using in my back pack when I am detecting. Hopefully I never have to walk all the way back to camp to retrieve my spare set.  

My greatest skill is losing my keys !

I now distribute several copies on my self AND in the rig plus one at mom's in an express mail envelope ......sad , but it does keep me going. 🤪

Never owned a vehicle with one of those "smart" key fobs ....................probably should avoid it..

• Like 3