Two Short Hunts At A Tapped Out Site

We had a monster storm yesterday that dumped almost 3" of rain on us, but Thursday I got out for a little while, and went back to the same place today. I'm gridding a really hard hit area at the old horse race track. 20211030_120439.thumb.jpg.f2882759f1d48b7b5bdd8923873ce09c.jpg

Where the grass is an old house and a couple of barns stood. It's at the end of the track, a half mile straight. There was another big barn here too that I posted finds from previously.

I didn't find much but what I did find was good. Thursday in 3 hours I got these:20211028_184928.thumb.jpg.e2cbc57c94965bcb36a91f1506325ae3.jpg

3 wheats, 1918, 1919, and a 1957. A small Baptist Sunday School attendance pin, silver plated and enameled. A nickel plated D buckle, and a couple of whatzits. I think the object on the right is just a splattered bullet.

Today I got out there again, it was a pretty dangerous day. While I was hunting I kept hearing black powder gunshots, almost all in my direction. I did range work in the Army, and sure know when I'm being fired at. Have to say it made me a little nervous. 😬 Luckily I didn't hear any 'snaps', nor the sound of anything passing.

Did pretty good, got an old fancy pocket knife, a re-purposed old sinker, and another whatzit.20211030_153132.thumb.jpg.92fcc0c19da80579264c8e0514b035f8.jpg

If you look close at the knife it's decorated 1800s style, lots of figuring around the brass scales.

Today's finds were scant but better, a 1917 wheat, a 1905 IHP, an 1800s round ball two piece button, and a flattened thimble marked "Singer Sewing Machines".20211030_183032.thumb.jpg.ff69902f2883efc8f2958d977edb9740.jpg

Not a great couple of hunts but good enough for me. The IHP was an interesting find, I dug because I got iron tones and ID's with a 21/24 mixed in. Upon pulling the plug the high tones disappeared, and all I heard was iron. I put the plug back and went on, but something told me to go back. I pulled the plug out again, checked it with my pinpointer, plucked some nails, and when I broke the plug open, the penny dropped out. 😀 Drove back up the road on my golf cart, and when I got to the end there was a guy zeroing the scope on a Black Powder rifle, pointed right at me behind his target. He apologized for not knowing I was there. Good thing he didn't pull the trigger.

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 3

25 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

The item on the bottom left in the first photo looks like part of an RV hatch lock ....

Guess you'll have to touch off a few rounds yourself to "stake your claim" on your field.🤔

He had no idea I was out there. I think, because he owns the other land I hunt on, that I will put a flag at the gate from now on to let him know I'm there. He was quite shaken.  🙂 

I'm thinking some sort of latch myself. It is brass, so it's kinda old.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Nice hunting to find the IH and other items.

Keep on swinging and digging. Good Luck

May i suggest wearing an over abundance of Hunter's Orange this time of year!! We really don't want to go to your funeral to give you a 21 detector salute!!😞😞

🟧🔶🟠🟧🔶🟠🟧🔶🟠🟧🔶🟠🟧🔶🟠🟧🔶🟠🟧

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Joe D. said:

May i suggest wearing an over abundance of Hunter's Orange this time of year!! We really don't want to go to your funeral to give you a 21 detector salute!!😞😞

🟧🔶🟠🟧🔶🟠🟧🔶🟠🟧🔶🟠🟧🔶🟠🟧🔶🟠🟧

Wouldn't have mattered, not only couldn't he see me but he was wearing earplugs. I couldn't see him either.

It's funny, In the fall and winter I wear some really good Wrangler hooded sweatshirts. One of them is exactly the color of deer. Probably won't wear that one 🙄

• Haha 2

Wheats, IHPs, a few relics -- some going back to the 1800's.  You've got a good spot there!  Grass looks really long but you're still pulling out goodies.  I recall you've told us about the horse track before -- more of an informal one (kinda like Discovery Channel's Street Outlaws except horses, not cars).

Have you been able to find out how the horse track was laid out (e.g. which direction they ran) where people congregated, where money changed hands(!)?  The finish line in particular should have been a gathering spot.  Everyone wanted to see who wins so they make sure to get paid fairly....  I gotta think there is some sliver there just waiting for you.  Maybe big silver!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Wheats, IHPs, a few relics -- some going back to the 1800's.  You've got a good spot there!  Grass looks really long but you're still pulling out goodies.  I recall you've told us about the horse track before -- more of an informal one (kinda like Discovery Channel's Street Outlaws except horses, not cars).

Have you been able to find out how the horse track was laid out (e.g. which direction they ran) where people congregated, where money changed hands(!)?  The finish line in particular should have been a gathering spot.  Everyone wanted to see who wins so they make sure to get paid fairly....  I gotta think there is some sliver there just waiting for you.  Maybe big silver!

Hey GB,

You really have to grid it now, a random search won't find much at all. As I've mentioned a local detectorist and another searched this place every day (without direct permission of the landowner) for 3 weeks.

The race track was a straight track about 1/2 mile long along a road and ended at a large barn. The landowner told me the other side was used for training horses. I've found some tack but not much. Last spring when they turned the field I got one Merc but that's been it so far. There is a lot of trash here and I know where the house was pushed into the woods. The barn burned so there are lots of chunks of molten metal. There is also a small cemetery that is fenced in. The headstones date to the 1800s.

I've retrieved lots of clad where the barn was, that is where the farmers park their vehicles and set up the machines. Lots of grease gun pull tabs too. 😵

The wheats and IHP were dug where the house was, thanks to the 10x5 I can find them among the iron that is everywhere. You'll get a 20-25 and high tone in the middle of low tones in Park 1, I use 5 tones. That is my indication to dig. I imagine that is why they were missed.

There is another farmhouse site very close to my house that is very trashy, I expect to find a bit more there as well. The 11" did good but the abundance of junk in the ground fools it a bit. The 10x5 is way more precise.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

As I've mentioned a local detectorist and another searched this place every day (without direct permission of the landowner) for 3 weeks.

Well that sucks.  Sorry to cause you to repeat.  I'll pay more attention from now on.  (Promises, promises 😄)

• Haha 2