Another 6000 Question....?

oneguy

Does the 6 eventually ground balance out a faint target that repeats from multiple directions in the beginning....like the GM1000 will do in auto?  I run the 6 in manual mode 99% of the time.....  This one area I've been working off and on lately has me frustrated because I've had quite a few faint repeatable targets that I end up walking away from because I loose the target and move on because time is too precious. My thought is that SOMETHING set the machine off....so something is there and I can't even seem to dig up even a hot rock or whatever set the machine off?  It's driving me nuts trying to figure out WHAT is setting the machine off?  I've dug many tinys with the 6 and currently at 98 nuggs with the 6 but this one area has me baffled with my walking away from several targets?  Only this particular area has me scratching my head....I do ok anyplace else.  Here's todays 5.5g nuggs despite the frustrating disappearing targets thingy....

Thanks for any input.....!!!!!

5.5gram.JPG

• Like 9

Oneguy,

I have had very faint small or deep target signals do this with the GPX 6000, mostly in heavily mineralized ground. I then usually scrape the ground surface with my foot and if the target gets louder or returns then I know it is a dig target, sometimes hot rocks will have the same sound volume as I dig down a few inches which reveals it’s probably a hot rock. 

Nice gold by the way👌

Ron’s detector’s

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

repeated short sweeps, which you should not do, as it will detune the target. Keep the sweeps wide.

This gives the detector more time over the ground which should be constant sound/volume output which it adjust to, and the sudden signal from the target is high-lighted when it goes back over the target.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I pump the coil briefly each time before I go over the same target. This helps to keep the GB from tuning small stuff out, but it does not avoid it completly. If a signal disapears, in particular when changing the approach angle, or if it is not repeatable/symmetrical, it is almost always mineralization (and/or GB is off). This happens to me with the Z when I do GB with the machine being oversaturated. This makes ghost signals appear which almost always go away if I cut back on gain before GB. Btw, nice going with 98 nuggets! I am just about half of that with the 6k alone. But I also use the Z in between, so I have an excuse 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First off...THANKS everybody!  I'm VERY guilty on doing short sweeps from various angles and now that I'm aware the 6 does balance out smaller targets I'll change up my approach.  This particular area is very hot.  For shits and giggles I think I'll take the SDC up there as it seems to handle hotter ground a lot smoother than the wild 6 and see how it reacts....

keep on diggin...!!!!!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, oneguy said:

I think I'll take the SDC up there as it seems to handle hotter ground a lot smoother than the wild 6

Great idea. Be nice to hear what you find out. FYI - any automatic tracking system works by trying to smooth signal anomalies. Faint gold signals and ground basically merge at the fringes, and so any auto tracking can tune out a faint nugget signal, especially if you focus the coil on it. Wide sweeps help make sure the machine is staying more tuned to the ground, where short tight sweeps tune more into the target itself. Minelabs latest tracking systems are remarkably good, but you still have to work knowing what the possible limitations are, and how best to avoid them.

As a rule, the faster a unit tracks to a hot rock or new ground, the more careful you have to be. Other systems are very slow to track, so the problem is less severe. Many systems also temporarily pause tracking on getting certain signals, but the parameters governing this are a closely held secret.

When you own a detector, constant experimentation and observation are the key to knowledge nirvana. Another tidbit, easily observed on a found target - the GPX 6000 does not like fast sweep speeds. Anyone swinging away covering ground too fast is very likely to miss targets. Slow and methodical wins for anything but patch hunting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I still wonder if/how the Geosense technology is impacting GB stability/performance beyond what other detectors do, i.e compared to the Z when running in semi-auto. The fact that a factory reset is more often needed with 6k makes me wonder whether X-drift issues are at play with the 6k. I have noticed that the factory reset not only helps with EMI, but also makes the ground response better. This seems to suggest that some sort of drifting is going on that the regular GB can't handle once it is too far off without reset, despite Geosense.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Slow and methodical wins for anything but patch hunting.

No whiz bang tecky here but eventually I figure these detectors out along with a little help.  Only advice I ever give that is 110% accurate is to slow down and listen....going slow is one thing I'm very guilty of...lol

I'll report on the SDC thingy hopefully soon?  Days are numbered here, cold as hell (23 degree as I type), little snow already higher up but I should be able to squeak in a couple more.....

Glad I asked the question and the replies definitely helped me understand the 6 better....thanks again!!!

• Like 4