Another 6000 Question....?

oneguy

On 10/31/2021 at 1:43 PM, oneguy said:

Does the 6 eventually ground balance out a faint target that repeats from multiple directions in the beginning....like the GM1000 will do in auto?  I run the 6 in manual mode 99% of the time.....  This one area I've been working off and on lately has me frustrated because I've had quite a few faint repeatable targets that I end up walking away from because I loose the target and move on because time is too precious. My thought is that SOMETHING set the machine off....so something is there and I can't even seem to dig up even a hot rock or whatever set the machine off?  It's driving me nuts trying to figure out WHAT is setting the machine off?  I've dug many tinys with the 6 and currently at 98 nuggs with the 6 but this one area has me baffled with my walking away from several targets?  Only this particular area has me scratching my head....I do ok anyplace else.  Here's todays 5.5g nuggs despite the frustrating disappearing targets thingy....

Thanks for any input.....!!!!!

5.5gram.JPG

I haven't had an actual metallic target balance out as yet. I don't tend to keep sweeping over anything I consider a faint or suspect target though (like Steve says some are like an intuitive response rather than a signal response).

If I get a suspect noise I'll move to the side a little & do a quick track then re-sweep - in all circumstances I can recall where a signal has remained it turned out to be a metal target of some sort. With that I've assumed any suspect noise that disappeared after the quick track was due to the ground/unsettled ground balance. In a lot of cases I find metal targets can also be a little brighter after a quick track away from the signal.

One interesting thing I had the other day on a piece of gold was a clear, bright signal from one direction & absolutely nothing from 180deg (GPX11). Possibly due to picking up better on the side of the coil rather than nose? I nearly walked at one point but persevered for a little sub gram piece.

I think this issue has been around in some shape with all auto tracking detectors & the solution is much the same with all where you have no fixed option - limit sweeps over those faint/suspect type targets, quick track/balance to the side away from the suspected target (to eliminate possible ground noise) & then repeat if necessary during recovery.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have lost a couple small targets temporarily and had to keep moving the removed soil to eventually find it.  I've done it on iron and gold targets. 

As mentioned above, after sitting the detector down to dig some, you should use Quick Track next to signal target on faint signals to make sure GB is up-to-date. 

Also,  when putting your detector on ground to dig,  always make sure the coil is flat parallel with ground.  If coil is pointing forward,  there's no soil under it and this throws out the GB.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1