Decided On The Atx.. Now I Need Help Choosing The Right Coil

Hi everyone, I need some help.  I live on an island in South Carolina that has a ton of civil war history.  I have historical maps and encapments printed on  clear plastic that I use to cross reference where things were. This along with out of print books and local knowledge and research done by friends makes me think that I just won't be swinging in any old place. 

There is also the opportunity to look for jewelry on the beaches and in the water.  The hunting I am planning on doing is in the woods, on the beach and in the water.  I would say that actual hunting in the water above a foot or so would be limited to no more than 10% of the time.  The low tides here are extreme and good planning usually negates the need to walk amongst the sharks 😊.  Beach hunting would be approx 70% and wooded areas the remaining 20%.  I am not considering the loss of iron check on mono's as a limiting factor. 

I have owned the CTX, the NOX 800 and I did own an ATX when I lived up north so I am very familiar with the weight and when a bungee should be used. I also have first hand experience with sand in the cam locks. 

I would like to limit my arsenal to 2 coils .. maybe 3.  Here are my thoughts and concerns on each. 

DD COIL: (I will be getting at least one DD) 

10x12 original DD.  Don't like the issue with coil knocking although I don't know what is is like using an atx without that issue.  The enclosed coils came out after I got mine.. Also worried about the hinge long term

11x13 DD, never used it. Does it float? That would be bad in the surf.. But then again.. Only 10% ish of the time would I expect to be in waist high water. I would deal with a buoyancy issue if it is that much better a coil. 

MONO's:

Small 8" mono.  Maybe good for the wooded areas... I think I really want it because I like the looks

11x13 mono... Does it offer any appreciable depth that would keep it in the running? 

15x20 Deepseeker.  I have had it and know the weight it adds.. But I am thinking that some of the deep relics may be sanded in and this might be worth it.  I think that there are some doozies still unearthed where old piers have been that are just beyond the capabilities of anything else. I wouldn't primarily use this coil to dig booming targets.. Rather as a cherry picker... 

OK.. That's my story... What 2 or 3 coils would you recommend for how I am planning on hunting? 

Thanks in advance for all your comments. 

John in SC. 

The 11x13 coils are not designed for in water use. Since you want a DD, and in water, that means original 10x12 DD.

After that it's really your call. If you are scanning HUGE beaches, the 15x20 mono is a good option, not for depth so much, but just covering ground. But for general use I think the 11x13 coils are nice. See my report for more details.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/3564-garrett-atx-11x13-dd-or-11x13-mono-or-10x12-dd/?do=findComment&comment=41282

garrett-atx-search-coil-selection.jpg

• Like 1

Well, the 11x13 not being waterproof certainly complicates things in my head.  I had read your article but for whatever reason, the closed coils not being waterproof never clicked. 

Since upwards of 80 percent of my time will be out of the water combined with the better ergonomics of swinging the new coil (that you described) I'm thinking that the DD closed along with the 8 inch for in water might be a good combo.  

Would you say that there is a big difference between the 11x13 mono and the Deepseeker?  Are either of those two really even needed? 

So, if you had to pick 3 colis for me, what would they be.

Appreciate your comments Steve. 

Generally if you are using a detector for it's designed purpose, the standard size coil is the best all rounded size to use, however maybe not the manufactures model. For specific use in water a low volume coil (ie smaller ,spoked or fiberglass solid ones ) note that coils can be made water proof your self. Water will come in through the wire entrance, pressure relief valve, poor joints of top and bottom casing and any cracks but remember if fully sealed don't leave the coil in the sun as it will blow up like a balloon and cool the coil down before totally submersing it.

For depth use a mono round coil that is large enough to be able to see the type of target at the possible depth in those condition. For coverage an elliptical spoked coil in open ground with a width no larger than that can get the depth needed. Finally spoked coils are to be avoided, where they can be fowled by sticks etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, orcat said:

So, if you had to pick 3 colis for me, what would they be.

I can’t pick things for you, only offer suggestions. There is little depth difference between the 11x13 DD and 11x13 mono on most targets, due to ATX being optimized for DD coils. If you want a significant depth advantage on coin and larger targets, the 15x20 mono offers that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I can’t pick things for you, only offer suggestions. There is little depth difference between the 11x13 DD and 11x13 mono on most targets, due to ATX being optimized for DD coils. If you want a significant depth advantage on coin and larger targets, the 15x20 mono offers that.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.  I decided to go with the closed DD and the 8" mono.  

• Like 1