15" Coil Strikes Silver Again

After getting a new coil for the Equinox under warranty, it had its maiden voyage today at the local football field that has been hammered by the other 15"! The dime gave a 31 signal with some iron sounds mixed in; it was down the length of the Garrett carrot. The coil works like the other one, possibly with a bit less EMI. The dime is nothing spectacular, but the conditions were good for detecting and I'll take silver any day.

IMG_20211031_192613.jpg

IMG_20211031_192621.jpg

• Like 8

It's funny, these should be common. I've dug a lot of other silver, but never a Rosie. 😵 Nice coin. 👍

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 10:19 PM, F350Platinum said:

It's funny, these should be common. I've dug a lot of other silver, but never a Rosie.

I've found more Mercs than Roosies.  It may have a lot to do with when the coins were minted and when silver was pulled from circulation.  Mercs never really left circulation caused by their age.  So from 1916 to ~1970 there were Mercs in circulation, some getting dropped/lost for us to find.  Roosies started their life in 1946 (30 years later than Mercs) but 'died' at the same time -- around 1970.  So less time to get lost means fewer for us to find.  As far as mintages, I haven't done a study but the later Merc mintage figures (i.e. those from 1939 to 1945) they really cranked 'em out.  There were more individual date+mintmark coins for over some of those 7 years than any Roosie date+mm in the (late) 40's thru the 50's.  It took until the 1960s for the mint to match production during those late Depression and early War years.

Besides, the Mercs are way prettier!

• Like 3

Congratulations on the silver.  Good to hear your 15 inch is sorted now, its the coil I use the most on my Nox when it comes to coins.

In my early days of detecting when I had no idea about anything I'm pretty sure I found one of these dimes, either that or it was the other silver dime, either way I was unaware I shouldn't clean old coins and gave it a good cleaning, even put it through my wife's ultrasonic jewellery cleaner 🙂  I used to make the old coins I found look almost new.  I've since learnt not to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes seems like Merck’s are more common then Rosie’s...I once did electrolysis in a barber half dollar like a dummy lol. 

Strick

• Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1