Testing The Quest X5

palzynski

TESTING THE QUEST X5 :
---------------------------

Note : As there is apparently no dedicated QUEST topic in the forum , I decided to post in this METAL DETECTOR ADVICE and COMPARISONS topic 

I have tested the Quest X5 a few months ago , first part in spring , second part this summer.  

The Quest X5 has been released at the beginning of 2021. It is a monofreq machine running at 8khz with a modern control box powered by an integrated lithium battery . The CB is rainproof . The X5 has all the basic settings , sensitivity , volume , 3 detection modes : jewelrey , coins , all metal . It has 4 audio tones. 
Plus a ground balance . It uses an elliptic 10X6 coil. Last but not least , its price is very attractive at 170E ( 200$ in the US ? ) 🙂

Long story short , I have been very impressed by this little machine . First of all it is very light , weighting only 0.99kg coil cover included ! 🙂 🙂 
For info there are only 4 detectors under the kg at this moment ,  The Deus , the Orx , and now the X5 plus its grandfather the X10 . This lightness will be appreciated by teenagers , women , and others interested by a very cumfortable to use machine ...

Second it has a very good audio with an excellent iron filtering ,and very good reactivity on targets . Which means  that it can be used in trashy areas like gardens , paths , yards , fields , etc ...  The X5 audio recalls me some Tesoros or the teknetics T2's audio, I like it ...

I have only used the X5 during 10 hours , but it looks like a robust and reliable detector. I never had any issue with it during my tests.

Only a few downsides on this X5 . It is not very sensible to very small targets ( less than 1g ) due to I think its relatively low freq ( 8khz ) . And it has no bluetooth connectivity , only wired headphones can be used .  And some displayed screen infos are very basic, like the conductivity scale . But beginners need simple things and the X5 is for me a perfect detector for a beginner. Or a second machine for an experienced user. Or a good detector for a person with a very limited budget ...

From what I know the X5 is already a best seller over here in France . From what I have seen during these tests it is well deserved

My full test of the X5 below ( sorry in French ) , I hope that Google translate will help 🙂...
https://www.metaux-detection.fr/blog/test-du-detecteur-de-metaux-quest-x5-disque-24x14-n19

For info the X10 ( 230e/270$? ) is an improved version of the X5 with 6 audio tones , 4 modes and more detailed screen infos 

A few pictures :

1) The X5 display ,simple and efficient ..

DSC02592.JPG

2) The X5 with a Deus HF during a comparative test this summer

DSC02784.JPG

3) 1st coin in this field with the X5 , dating from the 17th century

DSC02785.JPG

4) light like a feather ...

DSC02568.JPG

5) A very clean and aesthetic design 

DSC02584.JPG

• Like 7

I enjoyed reading your review of the X5. Unfortunately, there may be a little love left for Deteknix/Quest somewhere in the USA but there won’t be much on this forum which may explain why Quest is nowhere to be found as a brand topic or in this sites Detector Database. They were sued by First Texas Products (Fisher/Teknetics/Bounty Hunter) for infringement of FTPs intellectual property (T2 software) and settled out of court when it was obvious Deteknix/Quest would lose. They entered into a Confidential Settlement Agreement which is a court ordered binding contract. That contract was broken and FTP filed suit again. So, even though some big box US dealers sell Quest products (which may be old stock) warranty repairs/replacement and overall customer support have been reported to be very iffy here in North America.

Personally, I own 3 sets of excellent Quest wireless headphones with transmitters and the very nice Deus/ORX WS4/audio controller headphones. I previously owned a Quest 30 and found it to be a decent detector.

Speaking of First Texas, they make several detectors that come with a 7” coil that are at or under one Kilo. The Teknetics Alpha, Delta and the F11, F22 are all detectors that I would prefer to use over the X5 personally. Minelab’s sort of detector, the Go Find 22 is also at or under a Kilo.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Unfortunately, there may be a little love left for Deteknix/Quest somewhere in the USA but there won’t be much on this forum which may explain why Quest is nowhere to be found as a brand topic or in this sites Detector Database.

It's simpler than that. Subforums get created automatically when discussion reaches a level that justifies it, and no such discussion has developed here. The products get mentioned in passing, but there are only a handful of actual threads that exist about Quest/Deteknix products. If enough people want to talk about something, including Quest, I'm happy to set up a forum for it.

What I normally do is wait until there are enough threads like this, that I can collect, and move them all to a new forum. That way the forum does not start empty, plus it's proof up front the interest exists. The Tarsacci Forum was the latest that underwent that process. Threads were being created here, the catchall for items with no main forum, along with the DP Forum. So I set up a dedicated forum, and moved all the threads there. Now it hums along on it's own.

As an aside I periodically move threads to subforums from the DP forum and here for archival purposes, when it makes more sense that they find a resting place in those locations.

A far as the database, I looked at adding Quest not long ago, but when I went to their website, I could not determine what they are currently making or stocking. Seemed half out of business, with no U.S. dealers listed at all. So I decided to wait until the pandemic settled down, thinking that had something to do with it. Or maybe it's the lawsuits. 

Long story short I have nothing against Quest, and welcome any legitimate competition in metal detecting. If I have any prejudice, I generally only pay attention to detectors that are sold by U.S. dealers, and have service in the U.S. If Quest really has been pushed out of the U.S. I'd not be spending a lot of my time on it.

Anyone owning or having an interest in Quest chiming in might help push it along. :smile:

• Like 2

Just wanted to say that Serious Detecting has the Quest X5 either on eBay or their website for $149.00. Plus they seem to have the whole Quest line of detectors. You never know what Serious will come up with. Right now they have a new Tejon up on eBay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YubaJ said:

Just wanted to say that Serious Detecting has the Quest X5 either on eBay or their website for $149.00. Plus they seem to have the whole Quest line of detectors. You never know what Serious will come up with. Right now they have a new Tejon up on eBay.

Yep, Serious Detecting and Kellyco are still selling the stock they ordered in 2019.

• Like 1

btw QUEST has recently released a new pinpointer : QUEST XPOINTER MAX , with iron disc and a lithium battery  

QUEST XPOINTER MAX (metaux-detection.fr)

Has anybody already tried one ? 

Capture_xpointer_max.PNG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Yep, Serious Detecting and Kellyco are still selling the stock they ordered in 2019.

That alone is not a good indicator. When I was in the biz, carrying detectors over for more than a year was a solid fail. It’s all about inventory turns, and stock on a shelf over a year is dead money. In this case indicates lack of demand which means lack of interest.

3 hours ago, palzynski said:

btw QUEST has recently released a new pinpointer : QUEST XPOINTER MAX , with iron disc and a lithium battery  

QUEST XPOINTER MAX (metaux-detection.fr)

Has anybody already tried one ? 

Capture_xpointer_max.PNG

I just watched a handful of video reviews on Youtube and this looks like a promising pinpointer.

I like how it has the OLED and green/red light indicators, can used headphones (but is no longer waterproof or even dust resistant) and most importantly, has the ability to turn off the lost alarm.

As for the discriminating ability, that means nothing to me.

As for its range and ratcheting abilities, it seems in line with the Fisher F-Pulse.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That alone is not a good indicator. When I was in the biz, carrying detectors over for more than a year was a solid fail. It’s all about inventory turns, and stock on a shelf over a year is dead money. In this case indicates lack of demand which means lack of interest.

I’ve been using the XPointer Pro for about 3 years, it’s a PI pointer waterproof to 200ft, it has been and continues to be an excellent product, I certainly recommend it, I recently bought the XPointer Max, it’s a VLF running at 9.5k waterproof to 10ft it has discrimination and some other interesting features, the jury is still out on this unit though.

• Like 1