Logical Step For The Atx?

Aureous

The hope really is Garrett read forums like this and see what people want, what ideas people have and get an idea of where the demand maybe.  I personally think a lightweight version of the ATX would be great, and would work well in my area and having the adjustable modes like the QED which they could do on it biasing towards certain targets would be a good addition.

If everyone just thought it can't be done and put it in the too hard basket nothing would ever get done.  The companies doing well are the ones that are trying.

• Like 2

Gee, sorry for posting in good faith…….something I’ve done since I first joined this forum. Hard to post without somehow upsetting someone these days.

Steve, you don’t need to go on the offensive so easily and read too much into some replies…….have a re-read of your first two sentences to my reply. I’m not attacking Garrett but somehow you made that assertion. 

Sorry but I’m scratching my head as to why you responded to me the way you did…….not impressed at all.

10 hours ago, Tony said:

My “problem” is that the gold is deep and “nuggety” and way bigger than 3 to 5 grams……a nice problem to have. The side by side tests were on undug nuggets in a small patch in hot ground. The ATX does have its place…….just no where near where I typically hunt. 

Using the ATX in really hot ground, I just could not differentiate small gold targets from ground noise….we are talking Western Australian heavy ironstone country. The earlier SD and GP machines excel in this ground.

Yeah, which is precisely why a bias control with better coding and coils will 'close the gap' somewhat. But, a single Ch PI will never beat a machine with 2-3 simultaneous channels running independent timing codes. This is why Minelab will remain 'King' due to their strong patent protection philosophy. But, if that one single channel was fully focused on that one desired target-size range in that one desired in-soil depth....plus being 1/3 the cost of a new Minelab, then it becomes a desirable machine. 

• Like 2

The hope really is Garrett read forums like this and see what people want, what ideas people have and get an idea of where the demand maybe.  I personally think a lightweight version of the ATX would be great, and would work well in my area and having the adjustable modes like the QED which they could do on it biasing towards certain targets would be a good addition.

If everyone just thought it can't be done and put it in the too hard basket nothing would ever get done.  The companies doing well are the ones that are trying.

I think I remember Bob Podhrasky having a couple forum memberships in past years? Plus Vaughn Garrett too??? Dunno if they've continued this measure, but it would make huge sense to keep track of public demand and points of view on their products if they did. Company's can only grow if they pay attention to their customers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Gee, sorry for posting in good faith…….something I’ve done since I first joined this forum. Hard to post without somehow upsetting someone these days.

Steve, you’ve become a “prickly” fella over recent years and read too much into some replies…….have a re-read of your first two sentences to my reply. I’m not attacking Garrett but somehow you made that assertion. 

Sorry but I’m scratching my head as to why you responded to me the way you did…….not impressed at all.

Running a major forum can be a huge headache with things getting 'heated' quite quickly and Steve runs a tight ship under very trying circumstances more often than we all appreciate. Keeping subject matter focused helps to keep that ship off the rocks lol. There has been a sh*tload of angry words exchanged in the past when the ATX was released and even for years afterwards. ML VS Garrett rivalry is not a pretty sight and I'm certain Steve wants to see no more of it.... thats pretty much all there is to it....frustration, not anger. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My ship was well out to sea…..😄

441 posts it will be. I’ll stick to reading from now on 👍

Tony ... I think you didn't mean it wrong with ATX ,, .... and you just wrote your opinion..Of course, not everyone can have the same terrain as you ...

And for someone, the impact on more weight gold can be crucial and here is perhaps the question of what can be done next with ATX ...

.There is also the question of ATX settings ...
  It is no secret that the Discrimination / Timing / setting also acts as a ground filter..and in some situations the lower discrimination setting will work less effectively than slightly higher.

That is, Disc 2.5 will not be better than Disc 3 ...

Another important setting is the Sensitivity and Threshold settings ...

As far as ATX is concerned, it is really a very sensitive PI detector .. and already on a standard DD coil ... it really manages strong mineralization ...as well as various minerals...

..balanced performance of ATX with Minelabs for targets weighing about 5 grams may be quite sufficient for someone ..

...And ATX waterproofing alone can be a key feature for some.......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tony said:

Steve, you don’t need to go on the offensive so easily and read too much into some replies…….have a re-read of your first two sentences to my reply. I’m not attacking Garrett but somehow you made that assertion. 

I apologize Tony. I feel like you also reacted more strongly than I think is warranted, as my intent was simply to get topic back on track and on topic. I apologize for coming off strong to you, it was not my intent, and more an unfortunate side effect of short written responses. I’d rather we chalk it up to miscommunication between people of good will, as I do value your opinions. I monitor a huge number of threads and posts, and sometimes respond too quickly without fully digesting things. I’m more than willing to admit I blow it now and then, and ask forgiveness.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I apologize Tony. I feel like you also reacted more strongly than I think is warranted, as my intent was simply to get topic back on track and on topic. I apologize for coming off strong to you, it was not my intent, and more an unfortunate side effect of short written responses. I’d rather we chalk it up to miscommunication between people of good will, as I do value your opinions. I monitor a huge number of threads and posts, and sometimes respond too quickly without fully digesting things. I’m more than willing to admit I blow it now and then, and ask forgiveness.

Agreed…..I did respond with “gusto”. Gee, we’re a passionate lot when it comes to metal detecting. The nature of forums and posting lends itself to sometimes not showing the whole story and “assumptions” easily creep in. Much easier to discuss around a campfire. Having said that, I accept that my first response may have been slightly off topic so I will keep that in mind for future reference.

BUT…..stay tuned for my “new” Garrett XL500 PI project….posting soon (ooops, now I’m really off topic).

Love this forum and appreciate the HUGE amount of work needed to run it 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1