Hand Of Faith, Continued

RKC

G'day, 

Further to the thread at 

There is a Facebook page just put up with more information about the finding of The Hand nugget. I could not see any reference made in any of the newspaper articles, from the time, about the Garret model it was found with ... might be some reference made later on.

https://www.facebook.com/handoffaith/ 

Regards, 

Rob (RKC)

i thought i saw an interview w the old man. and  he found the target intially w/ dowsing rods! he was hired to find the  spot to drill a well.......they may of come back w the "time waster" Garrett after the fact to pinpoint it.

I remember a camp fire with Kevin and his wife Bep and he spoke of the find with us.  Grants Patch on Paddington's leases back when they let people fossick on them.... That was in 2006 with Jackhammers army :)  I still have an autographed book that Bep published with him telling me "Find the Foot."  Funny I got that book in Victoria back in 1999 on my first trip down under at a used book store as I was researching.  I'll ask my mate if he recalls what detector Kevin used as that was not something that came about that night at the telling.  Kevin was detecting at the time and there is a variation on the location known to a few ;) but regardless when he dug down on the target "It just kept getting bigger and bigger."  It was on edge or nearly so.  He and Bep kept it in a baby's wash basin covered with a towel.  Hahh.

The man was a detecting fiend for the gold but as good a mate as one could want... unless you were on his patch.

Kevin Hiller.png

• Like 1

Yeah, Garrett ADS ...I forget the exact measurement of the coil, but the midsize above 8", more than likely called a 10", but not the largest. Not that it would have mattered.

No dowsing rods used to find it, no hiring of well drilling.

Very close to God that week the family were, and found inspiration in prayer. Talking with God often.

He got the 'feeling' he should walk to a certain spot behind an old school house, the same superstitious feeling most of us have got at least a couple of times in our life just before hitting gold, ....and the Lord rewarded him with that loud deepseeker Phaaaaarp... Phaaaaarp.

• Like 1

fabulous story! wow! even better TRUTH! thanx argyle an DD

The booklet http://www.pmav.org.au/Products/4/81/Hand-of-Faith-book by the finders wife, written not long after the find, is a good read gives the personal side of the find, and perhaps lays a few "myths" to rest. 

Not to get off topic, it's probably more on-topic than not...

But can anyone remember that entire Deepseeker Range of units? The reason I ask, and you may remember this Norvic, is at the end of the range Garrett bought the last model out with much heavier stand-out colour along The dial side of the machine. Kind of yellow/black decals.

You bought them in a complete package of straight shaft with armrest that suited hipmounting of the unit and extra long coil lead and adapter, another armrest for shaft mounting it, and the full array of coils. It was a very decent package and may have even had a different battery tray and size.

They behaved much more stable than the earlier models. Just can't remember if a different retune system or ground balance pot was changed.

3 hours ago, tvanwho said:

How heavy is that nugget, dimensions etc ? Wonder if he thought it was trash at first?

In Metric - 45 x 19 x 9.5 cm or thereabouts.

Weight is 845 ounces (874.82)

For some reason 720 odd oz's was talked about for a while. Don't know why.

Junk would have been anyones first guess, but apparently when colour was first spotted he thought it'd be 50 odd oz's.