The New Quest Xpointer Max

☠ Cipher

Just ordered a Carrot, ML PF35 falses too much for me. I use the Nokta Pulse pointer but it hates the Nox so if my buddy is near by it goes crazy (no love there between them). Nokta Pulse is also slow starting up when not paired with headphones. I like the rechargeable aspect of the Nokta and looks like others are doing the same but end of the day I can stuff the rechargeable lithiums in a pointer and get half a season out of a charge plus can carry a spare. Recharge time on the 9v lithiums is under 2 hours and can be charged on a standard usb.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Yeah, it's tough when you have to buy something to review it 🙄 I like the Propointer AT, but knowing which of the targets I'm after seemed too good to be true. I apologize to Cipher for hijacking.🏴‍☠️ 

I should have kept that lead pellet I dug with the Equinox yesterday... 🤔

I’m just getting around to reading all this now. I don’t see it as hijacking at all. I appreciate your information. It’s an interesting new gadget for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

I’m just getting around to reading all this now. I don’t see it as hijacking at all. I appreciate your information. It’s an interesting new gadget for sure. 

Thanks Cipher, just posted a review of my own. I thank you for bringing it to my attention! Got one and it's pretty cool, but time will tell for me.

The only pinpointer I like that I own is the Carrot AT, every other one hasn't done what I expected of it.  The XP Mi-4 is decent but the Carrot seems to get better depth in my soil so I see no reason to use the XP.  The Carrot and XP seem about as sensitive as each other too to small gold.   The Minelab and TRX spend half their life falsing and I can't stand either of them.

I'm yet to find my ideal pinpointer so I'm willing to give a Quest a go, I'd have to order one from Nenad in OZ though as no one local sells that brand.   I'll sit it out for now as shipping from OZ to NZ this time of year with the worldwide shipping issues is a waste of time and let the guinea pigs sort out if its any good so thanks guys 🙂

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The only pinpointer I like that I own is the Carrot AT, every other one hasn't done what I expected of it.  The XP Mi-4 is decent but the Carrot seems to get better depth in my soil so I see no reason to use the XP.  The Carrot and XP seem about as sensitive as each other too to small gold.   The Minelab and TRX spend half their life falsing and I can't stand either of them.

I'm yet to find my ideal pinpointer so I'm willing to give a Quest a go, I'd have to order one from Nenad in OZ though as no one local sells that brand.   I'll sit it out for now as shipping from OZ to NZ this time of year with the worldwide shipping issues is a waste of time and let the guinea pigs sort out if its any good so thanks guys 🙂

Are you ground balancing the trx?   Turn it on with the point in the air then Just hold the point on the ground and press the button.  That’s what the unpublished manual says to do.   I just hold it on the ground as I turn it on.  Very little falsing since I’ve been doing that.  

17 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Are you ground balancing the trx?   Turn it on with the point in the air then Just hold the point on the ground and press the button.  That’s what the unpublished manual says to do.   I just hold it on the ground as I turn it on.  Very little falsing since I’ve been doing that.  

Yup, I'll do a separate thread on it and it's issues soon with some videos and stuff, I'm on my second TRX, I replaced the first one for being a bad performing one and now my second one seems even worse, it will just go nuts in the air, it starts falsing in the ground and I lift it up in the air and it keeps on going.  The only way I can have it stable is to run in 1 or 2 sensitivity and then the Carrot flogs it to death for depth.  That's why I'm on the prowl for a pinpointer that for me is better than my Carrot, I'm yet to find one perhaps this X-pointer is the one.  I'm watching with a keen eye.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I got that xpointer Max with great expectations: it would be smaller, lighter and iron-rejecting ! THe truth is, i was so disappointed with it. First time I went to the beach, it gave the error 'raise coil' and I couldn't stop it, so i had to walk all the way back to the car to get another pinpointer, my Pulsedive which is big and expensive but also IT ALWAYS WORKS. I realized what I had when it was too late, and I was stuck with this higly anticipated new Xpointer, which didn't find the target in a lot of the holes and piles that I made in the field, and I made a whole Youtube test video on that, because no one of all those people who got it for free will tell you where it fails, and it fails a lot for my liking and for that price !

Issues I encountered:

It often interfered with my Detector.  It just starts beeping for no reason. Or It will STOP beeping when metal finally touches the tip. Go figure.
It has the most horrible small and tough buttons to press. Even harder to get it on and off than Pulsedive. I made a 3D printed button to make that easier but then i had to remove it to see if all my issues were maybe caused by that.
It will not detect much on the sides of the tip, but Before the tip and at the base of the tip, making it very erratic and difficult to find a small target. This is why they all show tests where they use the front of the tip and nothing else.
Plus: it IS lighter and smaller than Pulsedive. And sometimes it does tell you when it's iron or not, but only when you are close enough to the target, so in plenty of cases I had to keep digging, and that was exactly what i wanted to avoid.
It might have problems with the cold, as one of the Dutch shops already stopped selling it because of that. Mine was kept in the car one night and in 4 degrees refused to work and only gave 'raise coil' error. So I happily send it back and got a refund. Another guy also commented on my video that he has teh Raise coil problem in the cold.

Not ever going to buy Quest again since the way they answered my complaints was 'you can't expect a VLF pp to work as any other pinpointer'. Then why is it praised by everyone on youtube, and the website says it's all good ? Seems they just put it on the market with a lot of bells and whistles and now it seems faulty in cold but no one tells you about it. Don't expect anything from them.

You can look up my video on youtube, and I also have a blog where I wrote stuff. Not sure i can post it here.

1 hour ago, caterpillar said:

Not ever going to buy Quest again since the way they answered my complaints was 'you can't expect a VLF pp to work as any other pinpointer'. Then why is it praised by everyone on youtube, and the website says it's all good ? Seems they just put it on the market with a lot of bells and whistles and now it seems faulty in cold but no one tells you about it. Don't expect anything from them.

You can look up my video on youtube, and I also have a blog where I wrote stuff. Not sure i can post it here.

I am just discovering-reading this thread. From my standpoint I never had any issue with my Xpointer Max for inland hunting . It works very well , except as you said the buttons are a little tough to press . And the found the iron disc to be quite reliable , similar to the Profind 35 . No issue at all with the cold ..

For me it is the best pinpointer I have ever used with its iron disc , digital display with battery level  , embedded lithium ion battery etc  ...   

However I detect only inland and I have never tested it at the beach . However I just did a short test on by sand bed test and it works very well ...

What is the name of the Dutch shop you mention in your post btw ?  thx

The battery level is HIGH on my Xpointer Max :

DSC00286.JPG

A test in sand + salt water on a 2g bronze coin . No pb , it is quiet on the sand and accurate on target .. :

DSC00031.JPG

I don't want to get them in trouble since they are the only ones trying to protect customers. I mailed them about it and they said this was the issue and they are waiting for it to be solved somehow before they sell them again. Maybe this is the reason they are 'out of stock' in some other places.
THe thing is, i sent the whole video of how bad it works to both Quest and the other shop where I bought it, and both said it's normal to work that badly. So I don't know if people like you have the same one I got or a differently working one.  I never had these issues with my Pulsedive, which has the full tip working, same as the other regular pinpointers, I suppose. In the video you can see i hold metal Against the tip's sides and it won't give any reaction. Maybe my 'pinpointer search style' relies too much on all tip and not just the front side. Apart from what I tested, it was a massive struggle to use it in the field since a lot of times I couldn't find my target with it. THe way it is mostly sensitive in front means I should search the hole with the front only.

24 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

I don't want to get them in trouble since they are the only ones trying to protect customers. I mailed them about it and they said this was the issue and they are waiting for it to be solved somehow before they sell them again. Maybe this is the reason they are 'out of stock' in some other places.
THe thing is, i sent the whole video of how bad it works to both Quest and the other shop where I bought it, and both said it's normal to work that badly. So I don't know if people like you have the same one I got or a differently working one.  I never had these issues with my Pulsedive, which has the full tip working, same as the other regular pinpointers, I suppose. In the video you can see i hold metal Against the tip's sides and it won't give any reaction. Maybe my 'pinpointer search style' relies too much on all tip and not just the front side. Apart from what I tested, it was a massive struggle to use it in the field since a lot of times I couldn't find my target with it. THe way it is mostly sensitive in front means I should search the hole with the front only.

thx for your answer ... Actually my dealer in France told me exactly  the same thing about the Xpointer Max : it doesnt work in the cold than he doesnt want to sell them any more .  Hopefully I could get one   🙂🙂 ... 

I have used it in the cold , I even did a test at -4deg celsius , no pb ...  I could not reproduce any of the issues .

I really appreciate the battery level display and the embedded lithium battery on the Xpointer Max . On the other pinpointers you never know your battery level and you often run short of battery with them in  the field  I hate that ...