Reasons To Hold Onto Equinox 800 In Light Of Deus 2

If it weren’t for the performance of my equinox and my curiosity about what the next gen multi-IQ platform will be like I’d be a lot more likely to gamble on being an early adopter of a Deus 2. I’ve saved a substantial sum for a next gen device whether it comes from Minelab, Garrett, Nokta Makro, or Deus 2, but I haven’t saved so much that I could buy all 4 in a short space of time. If the next gen Multi-IQ is the best of Equinox and CTX-3030, I all but know that’s the machine I’m going to want out of all of them. That’s the main event in my mind, unless Nokta Makro pulls a rabbit out of their hat on the 19th and releases a super fast V3 or V4 type of multifrequency. But the fact that everyone seems to be gunning for Multi-IQ tells me I’m in the right place for now. I’m going to spend wisely from here so that I end up with what I’d be happiest with when the dust clears. 

• Like 3

At least when the time comes for the Equinox 1000 the fixes are rather simple for them, stronger coil ears, better waterproofing etc and they will have a hit on their hands.    These are things they couldn't fix on the original release or everyone would want the repairs or upgrades done for no cost to their machines, it was better to just tackle the warranty claims as they come and I'm sure the warranty is insignificant compared to the amount of detectors sold. 

I am speculating here but Simon, I think what you wrote here is correct. I just wish they had modified their manual and specs, sent out warnings to owners about water ingress and coil ears and just owned it. I would feel much better about them as a company personally.

Being critical is necessary sometimes. So is praising Minelab for producing such an otherwise outstanding detector. Seriously, the Equinox revived and completely rejuvenated my detecting hobby since it could do things in the places that I hunt in that no other detector has ever been able to do.

I was hunting yesterday with members of our local club at a wild hunt modern aluminum trashed park site. The Deus l, Orx, AT Pro and Apex guys were openly complaining about all of the aluminum trash and how hard it was to decide to dig or not since their numerical target IDs were either skewed north of silver or all over the place due to iron mineralization. I had zero problems deciding what I was going to dig………… A buddy and I with our Equinoxes walked away with almost $20 in US clad, a few wheat pennies and not too much trash for a 3 hour impromptu hunt and my dog had a nice walk. Some of those clad finds were easy, recent surface drops in a sea of aluminum. Most of it was 4 to 6” deep, which is easy for the Equinox.

• Like 8

Some of those clad finds were easy, recent surface drops in a sea of aluminum. Most of it was 4 to 6” deep, which is easy for the Equinox.

No doubt Jeff. Even on a Black Sand Salt Beach. The Equinox will solid lock on any target 4 to 6" deep! Sprinkle in slight EMI too.........

• Like 2

After 3 years especially if it's an Equinox 600 and leaks, you've got your value out of it anyway when you compare it to the price of the Deus 2 or you could just sell it and buy a new one to renew your warranty.

You don't even need to buy the whole detector.  ML will sell you the control pod standalone with warranty if it needs to be replaced after warranty for much less than the whole shebang.

• Like 7

I've got my fingers crossed and have knocked on wood, but I've never had a problem with water intrusion despite replacing the shaft. Maybe flexing the control pod over time will also cause a problem I've still got two years' warranty in December. 🤞

What makes a difference to me is the field results, laugh if you want but local famewhore YouTubers I watch every week have switched to the Equinox from Garrett and use them river hunting as well as in the field. I believe a couple of them drowned their ATs. I'm glad ML's response time is fast, I'd hate to go through withdrawal😬

• Like 1

laugh if you want but local famewhore YouTubers I watch every week have switched to the Equinox from Garrett and use them river hunting as well as in the field.

I noticed that as well. 

And the "tiff" between Aquachigger and some other guy has revealed that I think Relic Recoverist may be sponsored by Minelab now...not 100% sure if this is true, but that's a rumor...

"Farmwhore YouTubers..."😆

• Haha 2

I noticed that as well. 

And the "tiff" between Aquachigger and some other guy has revealed that I think Relic Recoverist may be sponsored by Minelab now...not 100% sure if this is true, but that's a rumor...

"Farmwhore YouTubers..."😆

Not 100% sure, but they are probably monetized enough by YouTube that they can shed the restrictions of sole detector manufacturer sponsorship to use whatever detector they deem best.  Like Calabash Digger this gives them more credibility on their reviews and opinions ultimately  giving them wider viewership.  Multiple manufacturers still show them love by sending them advanced test units etc., as long as the reviews are balanced and they don't totally trash their products onVideo.

Now we return to our regularly scheduled thread programming...Reasons To Hold Onto Equinox 800 In Light Of Deus 2...already in progress.  :smile:

• Haha 3

Not 100% sure, but they are probably monetized enough by YouTube that they can shed the restrictions of sole detector manufacturer sponsorship to use whatever detector they deem best. 

That makes sense!

• Like 1

I'll hang onto my Equinox 800, even though it just went out of warranty.  The current or new Deus haven't ever been something on my radar as the Equinox is a true do-it-all detector for me. 

I've put mine on a telescoping monopod and with the Coiltek 10x5 on it, its lightweight and versatile.  I can grab it for coin hunting or take it and prospect for nuggets with it.  It fits easily in my pack for hikes into remote hill areas looking for gold.  I haven't had mine in the water, but if I needed that functionality and if I didn't want to risk my current unit, I'd get another Nox instead of the Deus II, just based on cost alone.

Also, if the coils are wireless, for me that is a big turn-off.  That sounds like a recipe for disaster for me if you forget to charge your coils before a trip detecting far from home.    

And the #1 reason maybe is I'm still learning the nuances of my Equinox after these past 3 years.  I wouldn't want to switch to a new machine while I'm finally making good progress of late on getting this thing figured out for my conditions. :biggrin: 

• Like 7