Reasons To Hold Onto Equinox 800 In Light Of Deus 2

In France , the Deus2 release date will be starting from December if I refer to what is currently displayed on all the French MD internet sites ..

An example below:
XP DEUS II Pack 22FMFRCWS6 - metaux-detection.fr

Capture.PNG

Thanks - good to know.  Since both Deus and Nokta units will have to be imported into the US with the attendant supply chain/shipping issues, first availability at US dealers is probably still pretty much up in the air - unless XP is guaranteeing simultaneous availability in the US and France (doubtful) plus would have more confidence in even the 28 December date if it was officially mentioned by XP themselves.

• Like 2

Since both Deus and Nokta units will have to be imported into the US with the attendant supply chain/shipping issues, first availability at US dealers is probably still pretty much up in the air - 

Yeah, that's a whole thing. Even if units ship to the US in December, they could be sitting on a container ship off the west coast until July. 😐 

• Oh my! 1

51 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

How many times have you been caught in the rain or dropped your detector in a puddle of water?  Even if you are a land hunter and never go near any water, replacing a damaged or inop machine due to moisture intrusion isn't a trivial thing.

Agreed!

I can't count how many times I've set my detector down on grass soaked with dew, only have have it tip over and get the control box wet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

Ours is an outdoor hobby so I think all detectors should be waterproof....at the least, very weatherproof. 

Amen to that! 😎

I've not watched developments with the new Deus 2 closely at all, but I've come to the slow conclusion the past week or so I will keep my mind open and certainly watch how this new mulit-frequency machine compares with the old Deus and the Equinox.  I probably won't be an early adopter since I've got my hands full with the Nox 800 and am liking my 10x5 Coiltek. But, I'll watch how things unfold along with read reviews with interest. 

What made me realize I should watch the Deus 2 is noticing once again just how badly mineralized the ground is where I live. I have been coin-shooting and hunting for jewelry at parks and schools a lot the past 6 weeks after a 2-year hiatus with the Nox.  I'm having the same difficulties I've always had with my past detectors these past 25 years with this soil.  I pretty much max out at 5 inches at most with TID on a dime at my old sites. And that's even with the Nox, a cutting-edge technology.  It definitely has some advantages like tones, sweep speed setting, and ability to lower the volume on iron targets over my older White's machines.  Any further advances in multi-frequency in the future are sure to help with my soil conditions, so I actually wish for great reports from the Deus 2 and upcoming Nokta MF units.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Reasons to keep MY EQ800 - It finds stuff really well. 

I've had my 800 approaching 4 years now and have spent a lot of time with it in the field.  I use it mostly for coin shooting. It is easy to use, goes deep compared to other detectors i have used, separates good from bad well, is waterproof / resistant allowing me to spend time shallow water hunting for jewelry, and is MUCH lighter than my etrac, explorer XS, and other detectors I've been using since way back when in the 70's.  Oh, and i took it gold nugget hunting and it actually found a little nugget. 

It has been a good one. Arguably from my standpoint, the best I've had. Easily the best all round detector i've had. 

I purchased it because it did all the things my etrac did (except bottle cap ID), was much lighter AND allowed me to shallow water hunt as well and mess around with a little prospecting. It has done all that I've asked. 

I have a Deus, which is a pretty great detector in its' own right. Not quite as all round as my 800.  (it doesn't go in the water) Will this new Deus 2 eclipse my equinox?  Don't know.  I'll be watching.  It seems to match many aspects of my 800 (though it is pushing a price point 2x as much) and is as yet untested.  After having used a Deus, I am not opposed to the thought of using a Deus 2.

Lastly, i have a lot of positive experience using the 800 so i'm not real keen on tossing all that aside in HOPES that the latest greatest is up to the task. 

rich -

• Like 9

On 11/16/2021 at 10:24 PM, UtahRich said:

It has been a good one. Arguably from my standpoint, the best I've had. Easily the best all round detector i've had. 

And keep in mind, while Equinox is a high performance unit and we consider it as such, Minelab only considers it a mid level, mid priced unit, with bigger ideas and vision for its next unit, hopefully with lessons learned from their mistakes with Equinox. This next unit to me is the main event. It’s what makes me a little more reserved about jumping on others attempts to catch what Minelab has already done. I’m excited about what comes next if this is only mid level in their eyes.

• Like 3