In Mild Ground Do You Really Need Multi Frequency?

Thanks everyone. Good info.

I can understand where some want accurate id. I'm not against smf. I've used the Equinox 800 for quite awhile. I'm on my 2nd Nox and after water hunting for 3 years I don't trust it anymore. I will probably get one of the new smf detectors to replace the Nox. I do really like the performance of the Orx though and will be using it too. 

我经常去沼泽地!那里面有很多宝贝!建议您用800的15寸盘!非常好用!

I tried to translate this I was intrigued by all the exclamation points but could not figure it out 😞 

strick

I tried to translate this I was intrigued by all the exclamation points but could not figure it out 😞 

strick

Hey Strick,

Copy the text, go to Google and type Translate in the search box. You get the automatic translator, it can figure out what you copied.

What the person wrote was:

I often go to the swamp! There are many treasures in there! It is recommended that you use 800 15-inch discs! very useful!
  • Like 5

you did better then I when I did it this showed up 

I often go to the marshland! There's a lot of baby! Suggest you use 800 15 inch plate!

strick

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

My idea on the SMF is, if you're after a mulit purpose detector this will help to get the job done. A great advantage at salt water beaches and if you can select different frequencies you can set up it for the metal/target you're after. And yes, coil size and type also matters for depth and separation.

And with that said you will see, it all depends on the user and his skillls.😁😎

To me the key is practice, practice ... and reading the forums.😉☺️

• Like 2

Rick.......In a lightly mineralized terrain, 1 frequency detector can work really well and efficiently ... provided it is sufficiently deep-performing..but also sensitive to small targets .. and also has a deep ID. when it uses the optimal frequency .... or also the universal frequency / somewhere between 13-18 khz / .... which can still excellently detect different types of targets you are looking for .... and also retains a very good depth of detection ..

In neutral terrain.. /0-1 bar Fe3o4/..with a lower value of GB  the..terain. .. are a really good single-frequency VLF detector that can maintain an excellent detection depth, often even with relatively accurate VDI targets ...

• Like 3

Right now I have the Xp Orx w/ 9" hf coil and the T2se w/ 3 coils. I'm very happy with the separation and depth of the Orx. I do prefer single frequency in my mild ground. I just like the sound better in single frequency detectors and with the smf detector I had. I'm anxious to hear the sounds of the smf of the Deus 2 & Nokta.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO the Equinox 800 which I have limited time behind the screen with here in Portland, OR finds lots of coins and some rings too. What I noticed right out of the box was how (I use the 6" coil due to heavy trash park) well the Equinox found coins on edge, and found coins comingled with larger nails and other ferrous junk. I am impressed with the multi-frequency and ability to program tone breaks, tone volumes, etc. Yes, I am still learning but I like what I am learning. :) 

• Like 1

BBS and FBS machines have always had one key advantage over single frequency detectors, regardless of soil type, and that is accurate ID on large ferrous items. Or, to put it another way, a reduced likely hood of false positive responses on crap you don't want to dig. On the Equinox it really depends where you set your Iron Bias. 

But it's not just all SMF machines, as I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the early CZ's were notorious for giving good responses on deep iron.

This is what I got for a translation of this:

我经常去沼泽地!那里面有很多宝贝!建议您用800的15寸盘!非常好用!.

I often go to the swamp! There are many treasures in there! 
It is recommended that you use 800 15-inch discs! very useful