Little City Park Giving Up The Silver

Just another day on the time machine you've been riding....  :biggrin:  And more silvers than Wheaties; 8 to 5 -- it wasn't close.  That happens, like, never?  I look forward to your next report, but not as much as you are looking forward to tomorrow's hunt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good to see someone out there digging!

Excellent as usual Dan. 👍

• Thanks 1

Now that is a great hunt with those type of silvers, and the rest of the coins are nice also.

Keep up the hunt and bring home some more of them, don't let the old ones be lost forever.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Just another day on the time machine you've been riding....  :biggrin:  And more silvers than Wheaties; 8 to 5 -- it wasn't close.  That happens, like, never?  I look forward to your next report, but not as much as you are looking forward to tomorrow's hunt.

Thank you. Finding more silver than wheats is very unusual, but I'll take that every day of the week :-)

7 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Wow! An eight silver day is awesome!   Congrats on surpassing 100 for the year. 

Thank you very much. We moved to a different part of Texas this year, and it was a struggle for the first two or three months to figure out where to hunt.

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Now that is a great hunt with those type of silvers, and the rest of the coins are nice also.

Keep up the hunt and bring home some more of them, don't let the old ones be lost forever.

Good luck on your next outing.

Thank you, most of what I'm finding is between 6-9" it appears that I am finding the leftovers, for me that's the most rewarding part.

• Like 1

Wow, awesome, been years since I've found more than one silver in a hole

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Wow, awesome, been years since I've found more than one silver in a hole

This is the third multiple silver spill that I found in this park. I'm not sure what's going on but I have found six multiple coin spills at this location.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Little City Park Giving Up The Silver

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Againstmywill
      Was out today to a local park and came across a strong 32-38 signal on the Equinox. I raised the coil and it still was loud. I thought it was going to be deep junk, but there were a couple 32s that showed consistently on the screen. I was not aware that 1967 was still 40% silver. 
      Equinox, 15" coil, Park 1, 23 sensitivity, 4 Recovery speed, All metal

• By rled2005
      Trusting His Gut, a Metal Detector Enthusiast Makes a Discovery That Dreams are Made of | Page 33 of 34 | Housecoast | Page 33

• By GB_Amateur
      We've had nice weather here in the Midwest the past week or so and after getting out Wednesday I was doubling up on Thursday afternoon.  The curve ball mentioned in the thread title was breaking an ML Equinox 11" coil ear when loading the car, which I described in the appropriate thread.  Fortunately I have both the 6" and 12"x15" coils (but not the Coiltek 5"x10" yet).  I'm detecting a park with not too much iron or aluminum trash so I figured the large coil would be OK, as long as it didn't mess up my elbow swinging a heavy coil through the deep grass.  (Wet and warm early autumn hasn't met with the Parks Department's mowing budget....)
      First target was showing low 20's (typically an aluminum screw cap) and out popped a clad dime.  Hmmm, that should have been 25-26.  Was the larger coil giving different dTID's.  Going back over the hole answered the question -- 20-21 and out comes a Zincoln.  I don't think the two coins were touching but they were super close to each other leading to the anomalous dTID initially.
      15 minutes into the hunt I get a Wheatie, not too deep (3-4 inches).  That's the age coin I'm looking for.
      Maybe an hour later after the typical occasional can slaw, a couple rusty nails, and a few modern coins I got a nice sounding but inconsistent tone & dTID.  From one direction as I swept close to the target location left-right I was getting hi-lo-hi-lo... tones (14-19 = pulltab zone is set for a medium tone whereas 20 and up are high tones; the tone was alternating between these two).  This is not typical of coins in my experience by any means so I'm thinking a flattened, non-symmetric aluminum screw cap.  I don't remember the exact strength indicator value but I'm sure it was at least 5, maybe mostly 6, possibly occassional 7.  I also don't remember the dTID at a 90 degree compass change angle of approach but I'm sure it was at least high 20's (large, elongated can slaw?).  The tone volume told me it wasn't a near-surface coin-sized object.  Definitely good enough to dig.
      Weak(er) signal strength means take a good sized plug so about 7"-8" diameter and 5" deep was my start.  The Garrett Carrot (set at max gain = 3) said I was in the right spot and switching to the fine tuning White's TRX told me I had a localized (coin-like size) target which was between 1" and 2" deeper than the current hole depth.  I carefully cut about a tennis ball sized chunk of dirt centered on the TRX signal's centroid and upon removal was told the target was in that glob.  Breaking it up with my fingers I saw a coin but it wasn't immediately obvious if modern clad or silver.  Again, careful not to scratch I picked off a clod of dirt and saw the familiar (from dimes I've found 🙂 Barber Head.  See middle coin in photo:

Only my 3rd silver quarter ever and 1st Barber Quarter, others being Washingtons.  (Guess I'm going to skip the Standing Liberties.  )  Even better than being 19th Century date was the -S mintmark.  Left coin in the photo is actually a 1919-S which I found the previous day probably less than 10 m away from where I found the quarter.  So -S mint oldies in consecutive days, and neither is particularly common although neither is a semi-key.  On the right is a 1941 Merc which I found last week, so three consecutive hunts with non-penny old coins.  That's very good for me in my current public sites.
      Why the anomalous dTID from one direction?  I wonder if the coin was oriented on-edge.
      So what's the big 'A'?  Some of you recognize this as the Atlanta Braves initial.  For those who don't follow our North American professional baseball, they just won the annual championship (not so modestly called 'World Series') for their first time in a quarter century.  They were underdogs vs. at least their last two playoff opponents.  But there is a detecting connection.  I sometimes hunt in rural areas during Autumn and that is prime (gun) hunting season.  I have other bright (orange) garb but I wanted a baseball cap (easier to accomodate headphones) and I saw this hat at a flea market for $5 a few years back.  I wonder if I can sell it now for a profit.  Anyone interested? 
    • By Againstmywill
      After getting a new coil for the Equinox under warranty, it had its maiden voyage today at the local football field that has been hammered by the other 15"! The dime gave a 31 signal with some iron sounds mixed in; it was down the length of the Garrett carrot. The coil works like the other one, possibly with a bit less EMI. The dime is nothing spectacular, but the conditions were good for detecting and I'll take silver any day.

• By Againstmywill
      Detected for a little over an hour today at a local basketball court with the 5x10 Coiltek on the Equinox 800. There were 29 dimes pulled from the ground with more left there, as my legs were feeling the up-down blues. I was going for coins and ring signals in the 5-15 range. Found one wheat penny, but nothing else spectacular. The 5x10 is like using a laser in the trash-littered grass surrounding the court. Even around a trashcan, the coins were still findable among the pull tabs and foil that miss the can.
      The 5 yen coin was found yesterday at a park; it is worth a whole 4 cents! Takers?
      Park 1, all metal, 7 recovery, 50 tones, 20 sensitivity

• By rod-pa
      Ozzie took me out to a new site he has visited previously.  It was a working farm from somewhere in 1700s, but is abandoned now.  Things are grown up so badly around most of the property that even though the house is only 30 feet from the road, i bet 99% of folks have no idea its there.  There was so much undergrowth, hunting close to the house was impossible, so we split up and worked on areas of what would have been fields and some yard.  Pretty typical mess for around us....buried large metal who-knows-what probably up to and including farm equipment.  The sun was out, but it was brisk, alternating some blowing rain squalls...jacket on, jacket off, jacket on, jacket off.  Got a couple spoon parts, partial harmonica reed, lead blobs for awhile.  Another really loud lead blob sounding tone, but a hair cleaner, and out pops the most likely civil war era rosette for on a bit.  30 feet further, and the nicest Indian I have gotten in a long time.  love those greenies.  To end the day, found the '40 merc and '43 war nickel under a nice big sycamore.
      A big shoutout to Calabash for the videos you make...i watched a couple of them a bunch and worked this summer on FE and FE2 settings, making sure I kept the values low enough to mask as little as possible.  When digging the IndianHead, i had plenty of iron tones with it, but decided to dig because the non-ferrous was mid, and not high so was fairly certain it wasnt just falsing.  first target out was a rusty blob, then scanned again for the high tone, which was still registering, got the coin out, and re-scanned and was still getting another iron object in the hole.
      all you folks, have fun digging!