Unbelievable How Many Used Deus Are Currently Being Sold Completely Overpriced

locator

Paying close to new or even 60-75% doesn’t even seem worth it sometimes considering some of the holiday bundle deals or dealer street prices one can get.  I still think it is crazy what people want for AT Pros and F75s considering options like the Simplex and Equinox 600 go for new... 

I agree 100% about what people are asking for for used "higher-end" Fisher and Garrett machines. I've had some success negotiating some of these sellers down, but I fail with most of them. Many of them know so little about the hobby that they can't understand why that they bought an overpriced machine to begin with.

The problem with percentages is that some machines are already overpriced by the manufacturer.

The F75, F70, AT Pro and AT Max are great examples. Yes, they're great machines, but not for a $500 or $600 asking price for just the detector. For example, the base street price of an AT Max with a few accessories (Carrot, wireless headphones, etc.) is $722. But based on what you can buy from other companies (like N/M and Minelab), along with the AT Max's capabilities, it should probably be priced as a package closer to $550...or so.

So taking 25% or 50% off of $722 is a lot different than $600.

• Like 1

Look at what people are asking for Tesoro's. Like they are some magical devices. Get a Simplex for less. And if you like beep and dig don't look down. 

I've seen Tesoros go both ways. Some people willing to sell them for super cheap (like $50 for a Compadre) or pricing them like you said, as if they're magical devices (or collectible).

• Like 3

Magic, collectable, you name it! It's whatever the market will bare, and how bad someone wants it! Ebay is a perfect example! People get caught up in a bidding war in the last minute or two of a sale ending, and before you know it, it "wins" for way over price!😬👍👍

• Like 4

It's whatever the market will bare

But that's what's wrong here. People are asking for prices that aren't what the market will bear. If that were the case, I'd tip my hat to the sellers and wish them good luck! I've seen this with video game systems.

About 7 years ago, I bought a Nintendo Wii (used) for $7. Now, that same system sells for $60-$100. I know COVID plays some part in this, as does an aging population that grows nostalgic for new things. I don't like it, as I've been looking for certain used video games from my childhood to collect, but can't bear to pay the asking price. But again, it's a supply-vesus-demand situation and I respect that.

But they're asking for $400 or $500 for a used AT Pro and wondering why it's still for sale after 12 weeks? That's just the seller being ignorant.

Apparently, what many people sell their machines for isn't based on what the machine is worth. Instead, it's what the seller originally bough it for. I'll see used AT Pros for $500 and used AT Maxes for $600 or more. Sometimes they have the Garrett Carrot and some other accessories that they got for free from their purchase bundle. But geez...

That goes a long way in explaining high resale prices.  It's a principle of behavioral economics that people overvalue something they own while often simultaneously undervaluing something similar that they don't own.

People can ask whatever they want.  It's selling prices that set the market value.  If high asking prices bother you then you best stay away from Ebay, Craigslist, yard (aka 'tag') sales, flea markets, antique shops, pawn shops(!),...  Decide what you are willing to pay before shopping around and stick with your convictions.

• Like 1

If high asking prices bother you

High asking prices don't bother me. Ignorance bothers me.

But then again, this just goes to show how effective Garrett's marketing strategy has been...

• Like 2

I N F L A T I O N!!!!🤬

I don't like saying that word Mike!! Please don't make me say it again!!😂

But I must say, that the Florida real estate market is booming! Thanks for that, Joe!! (as i just sold my house!!🤑) 😂👍👍

I N F L A T I O N!!!!🤬

I don't like saying that word Mike!! Please don't make me say it again!!😂

But I must say, that the Florida real estate market is booming! Thanks for that, Joe!! (as i just sold my house!!🤑) 😂👍👍

Inflation is definitely an issue,  but that's not the primary explation for why so many used metal detectors having excessive asking prices.

• Like 1