GPX 6000 Battery Run Time

How many  hours run time are most of you guys getting on a set of gpx 6000 batteries  7.5 for me with no back light

• Like 1

I get 8 hours with headset. But the batteries need a few charging cycles to perform at peak. GC.

• Like 5

Hi, About 4 weeks ago I went bush with a mate. He had the 6000. Now I got one. Works great in the back yard.😏

The battery is a pain. We got 8 hours in total (which is fair enough) but had to put up with the battery beeping warnings every 5 minutes for at least an hour and half. I think we had 9 warnings before we finished for the day.

We where using the onboard speaker and I know the machine uses more power.

What I did like though was no noticeable reduction in performance during that time, however I would be highly pissed if I was trying to find the nugget of all nuggets late in a day when the detector shut down in protest.

So I brought a spare just in case. cheers sturt

• Like 1

• The title was changed to GPX 6000 Battery Run Time

I've been able to get a good solid 6 hours of On Time and sometimes a little longer.  Yes I was also able to run a fully charged battery down to the warning beeps in 1 day.  Sometimes I was using Headphones and sometimes external speaker.  I know one day for certain I was at least 7 1/2 hrs so those saying 8 hr days is probably fair.  Just make sure you have a spare and when compared to the price of a GPX-5000 battery $440, a GPZ battery $200, the $165 for the GPX-6000 is cheap in comparison.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I know one day for certain I was at least 7 1/2 hrs so those saying 8 hr days is probably fair.

I’ve literally clocked it at 8 hours plus using the included wireless headphones. I’m not guessing at that, only the amount lost using external speaker. I need to do a timed run using it exclusively, as it does make a substantial difference, enough that for some people it may be a prime reason to use the wireless headphones over external speaker. I assume using wired headphones and turning Bluetooth off will give the longest runtime, but I could be wrong. The Bluetooth draws power, yes, but when you go wired headphone, now the headphone itself is drawing power. Wireless headphones have their own battery. So what draws more, the Bluetooth transmitter, or the direct wired headphone?

Like Gold Catcher notes, batteries may need a few cycles to reach peak performance. Any use of the external speaker will noticeably shorten the run time. Main surprise for me was getting a solid half hour warning that battery was low. You get that warning, and it just seems to keep going, whereas past systems the warning was almost moot. Like low battery warning, dead minutes later. Not so with the 6000, at least not in my experience.

• Like 3

I have 3 batteries now, always carry one extra in my backpack so not to concerned about how long each last.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MSC said:

I have 3 batteries now, always carry one extra in my backpack so not to concerned about how long each last.  

Me too, takes all the guesswork and worries out of it. In general can do a three day outing with no charging needed, or have the first dead one charging off the solar panel while I use the other two.

• Like 3

Hi all. I looked through my stash of old transformers after picking up the new toy last week and found  a 12 volt DC 3.5amp charger. I thought you bloody beauty. I checked with Minelab SA. They tell me No good to me as the Battery pack is governed by a amperage regulator at 1Amp input. 

Why would Minelab restrict the incoming power supply to 1Amp when it is written on the Battery that it can handle 10Amp input current?

Seems stupid to me. You may have restricted power supply out bush, only Dc power, no mains. Remember your car battery may be running 12 volt lighting and a couple of fridges etc. 

Took 10 hours to charge two new batteries using one mains charger straight out of the box.

Cheers sturt

• Oh my! 1