Gpx 6000 Manual Or Auto Sensitivity For Northern Nevada

I run in manual 8 9 and 10  normal ground when in auto  auto 2  normal ground this is for northern  Calif. When the ground is wet from the rains I switch to difficult  ground . With the gpx 6000.. For Nevada with the gpx 6000 do you guys  prefer manual or auto sensitivity

• Like 1

Nevada is a big place, my settings vary by location, not by state. I tend to bounce between manual 10 or Auto+ depending on location and conditions (ground wet or dry). That may be hotter than I’d recommend people newer to detecting should run however. I’m used to running “noisy” whereas most people benefit from the stability gained by less aggressive settings. I can say there is not a lot of range in the 6000 sensitivity control, and running even at manual 1 still retains a surprising amount of punch.

• Like 6

Auto 1/Normal/Threshold on are my to go settings for the monos. At times when the EMI is bad (mostly weather, wind type EMI) I go to Manual and dial back in gain, in particular with the 17. In NNV, manual/high gain I only do in very dry conditions and in particular with no wind related EMI. As Steve said, low gain will almost loose nothing for shallow gold but will take a hit in depth (at least in my experience). The normal/difficult change (if needed) is mostly for improved ground response IMO, not so much for EMI. Saturated wet NNV ground requires the 14 DD in salt mode (RP area), although some people still run the monos there regardless. Strict coil control and slow swing speed is a must under all conditions. Using the monos/high gain in salt-rich NNV grounds after heavy rain leads to "salt howling", regardless of how slow you are swinging. Use that if you don't mind getting insane or already are. GC.

• Like 5

If you don't play with the settings with your detector at every place you detect and see what happens and what is best for each place then you will never really learn your detector. It is so irritating when people give settings for huge regions or states and it is irritating when people buy in to their inexperience. Play with all controls and settings, it is the only way to get the most out of your detector.

• Thanks 1

After nearly all the 21 season with the 6K, for me I`m super impressed with the Auto and Auto+ and feel MLs got these spot on. They are the go for me. 

Like a good horse give it the head.

• Like 3

I mostly hunt remote bedrock canyons with little to no background EMI issues, so I’ve been running the 6000 in the 11 inch mono at Auto to Auto + with and without threshold.

The few times I’ve run into issues on these settings was when it started pouring down rain, and I couldn’t the detector to quiet down. And the other time was this weekend when it snowed overnight but the ground hadn’t frozen yet, snow was clinging to the coil and ice was starting to form. The detector wouldn’t quiet down at all until I wiped some of the snow off, but even then it was really noisy. In both cases it was getting to the end of the day and I was cold so I packed it vs resolve it.

This probably isn’t common, but I’m curious if anyone have had issues with this detector, or other detectors in snow. 

Great question Felix.  As others have mentioned, there are no true best settings for NNv as each site is a little different and or different times of year at the same site could cause you to make adjustments.

When I first arrived at Rye Patch on the last trip, the ground was mostly dry and I used 10 (locked) one day and 10+2 (full auto) the next day with very little noticeable difference.  I could tell a SENS setting of 10 did produce a noisier detector with more waves in the Threshold.  After that I ran the rest of the trip in 10+1 and 10+2 just to see if I could tell any difference and really couldn't.

After the big rain it was almost impossible to run 10.  The ground was so saturated it was really tough to get a smooth threshold, so I actually went down to 1 and 1 on the SENS.  Yes there was a slight and I mean slight depth difference, but a good smooth detector. 

Towards the end of the trip and the surface of the ground started to dry, I eventually moved the SENS back up and ended the trip on 7 or 8 Locked.

What really impressed me with the GPX-6000 and the SENS Settings, I could actually run a setting of 1 and still hear 90% of my 60+ nuggets.  This machine is just amazing.

Good Luck and thanks for attending our Field Training.  I hope you two enjoyed your time and learned from my Staff.

Thanks Gerry that is a  spot on post  about  the 6000   that is exactly  what I have found  out when using  the 6000.