Still Running My Heavy GPZ 7000 And This Is Why

Congrats, Rob! Very nice. For the same reason you stated I keep my Z/NF12. It for sure punches deeper than any 6k settings/ configuration, no question. I don't think the 17 would have heard it neither. IMO, the 17 is focused on shallow fast gold just as the 11 but covering more ground. Kind of a unique feature for a big coil.  Re usage %, I would say I use the 6k 70% of time and the Z/NF 30%. Haven't use the 14 stock in ages. The 6k is so much more fun overall, but will not reach Z depths. GC.

• Like 4

The X6 was never intended to replace the Z, rather than compliment it. If I’m wandering billy goat country and gullies, I have the X6 on, if I’m in wide open spaces where I know there’s deeper gold, I’ve got the Z on. 

Nice piece!

• Like 8

Well done and good on Rob ,glad hear someone is using the 7k as that is what i will be using when i  head south, just have not made up my mind about a 6k yet .

It’s never been disputed (by those that know) that the GPZ 7000 outperforms the 6000 on larger, deeper gold, and running the Super D coils vs 11” mono just reinforces that. It would have been nice to see result with 17” mono also, but that does not change the base performance difference.

minelab-gpx-6000-relative-performance-chart.jpg

The GPX 6000 will also clearly hit specimen gold of surprising size that a GPZ might miss. It can cut both ways, and so like all detecting, it just depends on the situation as to which option is “best.”

Great finds, Rob, keep piling that gold up, and thanks for posting. :smile:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Agreed Steve and I don't know why there is so much confusion with people feeling the 6000 is an outright 7k beater or replacement. 🧐 

When I swing the 7000 I know that I’m walking over easy gold, I also know I’m most certainly going to pass up on the odd decent gold mass that is just too fast a time-constant for the 7000. Conversely when I swing the 6000 I know that I’m passing up on the solid pieces from a few grams and up, even though the 6000 can do well on deeper pieces it requires a lot more effort to chase this sort of gold so I just focus on what it does really well and then cross back to the 7000 when required.

JP

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It is only natural that every high end new ML gold detector will be compared with the flagship 7000. Nothing wrong with that. And when you bare in mind the price tags of both machines why should one not ask the question: which one is "better", especially when the budget is only allowing to purchase one. I think we all agree that the 6k is the best all-round high end detector ML has ever made. With the exception of VLF needs and the outright depth advantage of the Z (that is very useful at times but comes at the expense of all the light weight fun the 6k has!), the 6K is the best option for beginners and experts alike and certainly the best value for the money. And, in the 1-6 inch depth range (where most US gold is usually found) the 6k is unbeatable. GC.

• Like 2

Minelab has a particular genius for producing detectors that occupy distinct niches. Even if they could make just one detector that did everything the best, it would make little sense from a business perspective. They always make sure each model has its own secret sauce that justifies somebody wanting it. As of late, controlling what coils get produced seems critical to maintaining that product differentiation. 

Despite Equinox, the CTX 3030 still sells because it does some things well an Equinox does not. Similarly, it was never their desire to produce a detector that sells for less than the GPZ 7000 that would replace it. Sheppo nailed it - the models complement each other. One does not replace the other, by full planning and intent on Minelabs part.

That should really surprise nobody. Lots of things make more sense as regards Minelab if you take off your prospector hat, and put your business person/investor hat on instead.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1