Great saves on the artifacts and narrowing down the make and model on the 45.

We were out ginseng hunting this past weekend and my friend parked under a walnut tree. He now has damage to the upper side of his truck as if he went through a hail storm that had 2 inch hail coming down.

I feel sorry for him as my expedition has no damage at all.

We did find almost 2.5 pounds of ginseng for our trouble, next weekend I am planning to go detecting and give the 10x5 a workout.

Good luck and stay safe.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 1

Speaking of squirrels, I've had them re-dig my filled-in holes when I've detected near walnut trees.  I don't know exactly why but I can think of multiple reasons.

I think when a squirrel comes across a freshly filled hole, it figures some other squirrel must have buried something tasty and wants a look. I once planted a row of bulbs. Came back an hour later and every single one had been dug up. They were in a neat line, with a little bite taken out of each.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

untitled-1W_2.jpg

I've pretty much narrowed the pointed bullet down to .44 Colt, ca. 1870s.

I "think" you're right.  I have really enjoyed seeing and reading your finds on here.  From another post, that button with the .22 slug in it is way interesting.  Makes me want to imagine the button was still attached to a garment and saved some ones life 😀.

My first thought, on the pointed bullet, was .442 Webley.  Because I found one very similar a few weeks ago, not far from a .442 Webley case.  And the bullet I found measures exactly .442.  Looking at yours more though, I think you are probably right on the .44 Colt.

Here's the Webley case and what I think is a Webley bullet.  Flanked by some old .50-70 cases, identifiable as very early type by the crimp above the rim, and an undetermined .38 caliber bullet.  All found within about a hundred feet of each other.  

[img]https://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/misc/untitled-1W_2.jpg[/img]

Interesting note on the .442 Webley case - the primer hasn't been popped.  Case may have cooked off in a fire?  Mining camps burned down fairly often...  The case is also identifiable as a very early Webley loading by the Eley Bros headstamp and the "rivet" style primer that attached the rim to the main body of the case.  The bullet has definitely been fired and deformed upon impact though.

Anyway - love the interesting finds you post and the way you describe the hunt.

- Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

untitled-1W_2.jpg

I "think" you're right.  I have really enjoyed seeing and reading your finds on here.  From another post, that button with the .22 slug in it is way interesting.  Makes me want to imagine the button was still attached to a garment and saved some ones life 😀.

My first thought, on the pointed bullet, was .442 Webley.  Because I found one very similar a few weeks ago, not far from a .442 Webley case.  And the bullet I found measures exactly .442.  Looking at yours more though, I think you are probably right on the .44 Colt.

Here's the Webley case and what I think is a Webley bullet.  Flanked by some old .50-70 cases, identifiable as very early type by the crimp above the rim, and an undetermined .38 caliber bullet.  All found within about a hundred feet of each other.  

[img]https://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/misc/untitled-1W_2.jpg[/img]

Interesting note on the .442 Webley case - the primer hasn't been popped.  Case may have cooked off in a fire?  Mining camps burned down fairly often...  The case is also identifiable as a very early Webley loading by the Eley Bros headstamp and the "rivet" style primer that attached the rim to the main body of the case.  The bullet has definitely been fired and deformed upon impact though.

Anyway - love the interesting finds you post and the way you describe the hunt.

- Dave

Thank you Dave!

Much appreciated post. I often wonder if I post too much, but I have the luxury of getting out almost every day, all I have to do some days is walk out my front door. I always hope people find the stuff I dig interesting, and if there's any history on it I try to find it. I'm trying to expand my sites, but some say I have enough for a lifetime already.

• Like 4

I always hope people find the stuff I dig interesting, and if there's any history on it I try to find it. I'm trying to expand my sites, but some say I have enough for a lifetime already.

If only one person finds a post interesting then you've done a service, IMO.  Cartidges, bullets, and casings always intrigue me when I find them because I want to know when they were dropped.  That tells me something about the site.  I have one fired bullet in particular that I found in California coastal mountains (South of S.F.) back in 2015 that I'm wondering about its vintage.  I'll repost one of these days and maybe get some ID'ing help here.

• Like 3

Great saves on the artifacts and narrowing down the make and model on the 45.

We were out ginseng hunting this past weekend and my friend parked under a walnut tree. He now has damage to the upper side of his truck as if he went through a hail storm that had 2 inch hail coming down.

I feel sorry for him as my expedition has no damage at all.

We did find almost 2.5 pounds of ginseng for our trouble, next weekend I am planning to go detecting and give the 10x5 a workout.

Good luck and stay safe.

So you had 2 good stories in that adventure, 2.5 lbs of ginsing and you didn't take your truck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So you had 2 good stories in that adventure, 2.5 lbs of ginsing and you didn't take your truck!

I'd cut a walnut tree down before I parked anywhere near it. 😀 I know someone who did just that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd cut a walnut tree down before I parked anywhere near it. 😀 I know someone who did just that. 

I'd leave the tree, my car was already through a hail storm 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

and you didn't take your truck!

Yes I took my truck, he just parked about 30 feet behind my Expedition. He wanted to be in the shade as I was in the sun.

• Like 1