Identifying A Detector

Hello,

I'm a total newbie.  I bought an inexpensive detector called Quick Shooter MD3030.  It came from China to Thailand and it also doubles as 'Mental Detector' judging from the picture below. 

I think I understand more or less by now what it does - there is a sensitivity and selectivity (including notching out in 6 phase shift ranges) target identification value display plus 3 tones audio for different ID ranges.  It operates on single frequency of some 6 kHz and seems to have round coils.

There is also 'depth indicator' on the display, which I imagine would be the return signal/target strength (or the inverse of it)?  I'm not sure if I understand how VLF detectors know the depth of the target.

Would anybody be vaguely or intimately familiar with this detector and are there is any technical info or reviews, beyond what I know that I can consult to learn more about it?  I don't even know who the manufacturer is...

A related question: since this detector doesn't have a background threshold control, would decreasing sensitivity play a similar function?

I know that this particular model may not be up to the Board Members' standards but please help the newbie.

Many thanks!

6e8ed7b084ffb4878776599ce6299f6b.jpg_220

Hello,

I'm a total newbie.  I bought an inexpensive detector called Quick Shooter MD3030.  It came from China to Thailand and it also doubles as 'Mental Detector' judging from the picture below. 

I think I understand more or less by now what it does - there is a sensitivity and selectivity (including notching out in 6 phase shift ranges) target identification value display plus 3 tones audio for different ID ranges.  It operates on single frequency of some 6 kHz and seems to have round coils.

There is also 'depth indicator' on the display, which I imagine would be the return signal/target strength (or the inverse of it)?  I'm not sure if I understand how VLF detectors know the depth of the target.

Would anybody be vaguely or intimately familiar with this detector and are there is any technical info or reviews, beyond what I know that I can consult to learn more about it?  I don't even know who the manufacturer is...

A related question: since this detector doesn't have a background threshold control, would decreasing sensitivity play a similar function?

I know that this particular model may not be up to the Board Members' standards but please help the newbie.

Many thanks!

6e8ed7b084ffb4878776599ce6299f6b.jpg_220

Welcome to the forum!

Aside from the obvious jokes about the ad (I prefer MD2020 myself 😀), it looks like you do have a metal detector. It's 6khz according to Amazon, and I'm pretty sure that is a concentric coil.

While I am sure it will detect metal, it probably won't make your life easy. My first detector was a Garrett Ace 400, for sure a contender in the low end, but it wasn't 5 months with it before I got an Equinox. I quickly became tired of not really knowing what I was finding. Luckily for me I live in an area of the US that is loaded with history, and found some great stuff on my first go in my yard.

Yours is a simple machine, really. Others can weigh in about the differences in coils and such but I can tell you you are limited to 5 Discrimination settings which will, for the most part, cause you to miss interesting finds. Sensitivity is another fairly deep subject but it doesn't really relate to threshold. I would just set it so that the detector doesn't go nuts when you swing it over the ground. Try to find a silent spot at first, and then turn it up until it starts to make noise, them turn it back to the edge of silence.

You will find metal, lots of it - and the bar along the top will help you somewhat to decide whether to dig or not. The Ace I have has the ability to notch out or "not hear" more parts of the ID spectrum, but I never used it much. I don't notch anything even now after a year with my Equinox. You best bet at first is to "dig it all", you get a sort of reflexive skill after a while. "Practice makes perfect". Even the most experienced detectorists on this forum dig junk.

There appear to be some videos regarding the machine, and here is a link to a review which may be of help:

https://www.techmetalsresearch.com/metal-detector/amysports-md3030-review/

I found it by simply googling "MD3030".

I wish you luck and success with the machine, we all start somewhere and please let us know how you do. I think if you find any good stuff you will be hooked. Do familiarize yourself with local and national law regarding metal detecting, you don't want to end up in jail or getting a fine. Remember everywhere but your yard in most places requires some sort of permission!

We may be able to help you more if you put a post in Meet and Greet - general descriptions of where you are in the world and what you hope to find. That goes a long way on this forum! 🙂 Luckily I went to a local detector store and got great advice for my second detector.

By the way our Asian friend above is saying he/she can't find the manual. 🙂

• Like 6

Many thanks for help.  It came with basic manual, I was just looking for some more information or experiences to calibrate my expectations.  It was relatively easy to buy in Thailand, based on description it wasn’t that different from similar models, and while I already found some metal detecting specialty shops selling famous brands, they are obviously much more expensive and I don’t know how to choose yet.  Cheers!

• Like 4

Given the provenance I’d be thrilled if it simply turned on and detected metal. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but quite serious. The hope is the controls do what they are supposed to, and that it works at all. Many people buying the way you did find they have purchased a funny looking walking stick. I hope that’s not the case with you, and that you get out and have fun, and make some good finds, with your new detector. :smile:

• Like 5

Given the provenance I’d be thrilled if it simply turned on and detected metal. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but quite serious. The hope is the controls do what they are supposed to, and that it works at all. Many people buying the way you did find they have purchased a funny looking walking stick. I hope that’s not the case with you, and that you get out and have fun, and make some good finds, with your new detector. :smile:

Sounds like he lives in Thailand.  (Is this Quick Shooter MD3030 a known scam?)  Eventually the Far Eastern manufacturers (China particularly) are going to make good detectors if their foray into other areas of manufacturing over the past 40 years is any indication.  Quest is already scratching the surface according to several reviewers.  There is a difference between the counterfeiters/pirates who are at the pinnacle of dishonesty and just want to get the consumer's money while delivering a Trojan Horse product compared to more/less legitimate manufacturers.

But I get your suspicious nature on this subject as we've seen con artists for a few years and the number seems to be growing.  Phrunt(Simon) is regularly posting warnings about what he sees in NZ online markets. 

I personaly hope mcjtom got a legitimate detector....

• Like 2

I know of these detectors, they're regularly sold in NZ on the online market place, they do work, as well as you'd expect from the detector it is, it's very basic.

They're made by KingDetector a Chinese manufacturer that also makes Fake T2's and G2's and a fake variant of the Ace 200 along with a range of their own detectors probably using the technology they'd stolen from the real manufacturers.

So you've got yourself a really basic "mental" detector as their ad calls it, it'll do the basics like tell you there is metal under the coil as has basic discrimination.  It's a long way behind just buying a detector from a known decent manufacturer though.

Some of these King Detector metal detectors are sold in legitimate electronics shops in Australia and New Zealand for quite high prices.   Jarcar the Aussies will all be familiar with, popular shop but has some questionable ethics branding this detector as it's own and putting a high price of $229 NZD on it

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/metal-detector-with-8-inch-waterproof-coil/p/QP2307

They have the nerve to say it's ideal for beach detecting and gold prospecting and call it a high grade metal detector.

Then you go to King Detector's website and it's $48 USD, which is about $67 NZD and readily available on Aliexpress with free shipping to NZ for similar pricing.

http://www.kingdetector.com/metal-detector-gold-finder-treasure-hunter-waterproof-searching-for-beginner-md3500-p-18.html

It's a popular seller at Jaycar too, people are getting ripped off all the time buying it, a number of them end up second hand on our online marketplace with people trying to redeem their money.

This stuff makes me annoyed, I feel sorry for people that know no better and buy this stuff.

So to the buyer of the detector above, sorry that you've made a bit of a bad purchase, hopefully you get some enjoyment and your moneys worth out of it and perhaps find enough coins to upgrade, best next time to save your coins and get something a bit better from a legitimate brand.

• Like 9

Another example of how bad the situation is in NZ, this is one of our two Minelab dealers named Jacobs Digital, this one is also our XP dealer.

They sell the "mental" detector MD-3030 the original poster bought...

https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/products/gold-century-advanced-quick-shooter-metal-detector?variant=12312290984028

Look at the price of it!!! $229.99 NZD, about $163 USD.

At King Detector buying direct it's $63 USD, about $88 NZD.

http://www.kingdetector.com/metal-detector-treasure-hunter-gold-finder-for-underground-searching-md3030-new-arrival-p-123.html

again it can be picked up cheap on Aliexpress with free shipping to NZ, but for the purpose of the post I'm showing the actual manufacturer of it's website and pricing.

This is how much this NZ dealer is ripping customers off, selling this thing as a legitimate dealer of real brands and rebranding this thing as "Gold Century" and selling it to unsuspecting buyers.  Fortunately we have another Minelab dealer that gets all my money, he'd never do this sort of thing.

Angry.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1