New Find From Coolgardie, Australia

Hi Guys, 

Found a possible meteorite near Coolgardie (West Australia) last Friday.  

I'm in the process of getting an authority to either confirm or decline it as a proper meteorite.  I've had two agencies reply so far who are quite confident its the real deal and the most likely candidate is a 'H Chondrite'.

It was found while I was gold detecting and produced a very strong signal on my Minelab 7000.  Depth about 200mm.  No other ironstones or hot-rocks in the area. Very quiet ground.

Fingers crossed!

Anyway, it was gently extracted with my plastic scoop in easy digging soil and came as 5 separate fragments that I managed to make fit together back home once I washed all the soil of them pretty nicely!  Went together like a jigsaw!

Here's some pictures.

Cheers folks.

Jim.

IMG_3106.JPG

GGCC4204.JPG

IMG_E3188.JPG

FWIW8768.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

• Like 9
  • Oh my! 1

Jim,

I’ve detected my fair share of cold finds and, based on your excellent photos, I’ll stake my reputation as a meteorite hunter that indeed you have yourself a genuine chondrite! Judging by the abundance and distinct outlines of the chondrules, I would venture to guess your stone as being a petrologic type 4. Please consider grinding or filing a window to reveal the interior of one of the fragments; we would like to see some photos. A fantastic find! Search the area carefully, as your stone could be just one of many from the same fall. Congratulations and good luck at finding more!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Awesome Jim, that’s what we like to see!

• Thanks 1

Nice find Jim, thanks for sharing it.

Now what are you going to do with it is the question.

Maybe place it inside a window box and hang it on your wall.

31 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice find Jim, thanks for sharing it.

Now what are you going to do with it is the question.

Maybe place it inside a window box and hang it on your wall.

Hi Valens,

I am considering getting a professional to cut me a slice to reveal its inner beauty. 
And yes, make some sort of nice frame to display it. 

This is my first meteorite and really a dream come true. I’m told it’s ‘older than the Earth’!

So amazing.

Would you guys cir a slice and do the same?

Suggestions?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jim Miles said:

Would you guys cir a slice and do the same?

I would carefully have a slice cut from it and then maybe donate it to a museum for the tax write-off.

Something like that could be worth a lot of money if you handle it the right way.

47 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

I would carefully have a slice cut from it and then maybe donate it to a museum for the tax write-off.

Something like that could be worth a lot of money if you handle it the right way.

Wow. Ok. I shall look into that.

Thanks again Valens. 👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lunk said:

Awesome Jim, that’s what we like to see!

Wow! Thanks Lunk! 

Just so happens that yesterday a geologist I emailed suggested I do exactly that. 

Good news!! Shiny specks of iron/nickel are indeed clearly visible! (pics to follow)

6C2B0ED3-4B97-47F7-9A89-7AF581057849.jpeg

2DA7574C-150A-41D1-AAB6-F621F815B560.jpeg

• Like 4