Nuggetty Hills Maldon By Drone

GotAU I am lucky that in Victoria a lot of historical maps and information has been digitized, so is fully available to the public. Lots of information to research areas, perhaps too much at times. My method is to identify an area of interest, locate and reseach reports and maps etc. I print out a topographic map, identify private and public land. Make sure I am not on a working or active mining claim. Make sure I am permitted to prospect in the area and go from there. Google Earth research to identify points of interest within the area, followed by drone flights and putting on a pair of good boots. At all times I update my printed map using an old school pencil. Many times on my walks I spot broken pottery or glass, bricks or other bits and pieces that tell me there has been a camp, test holes and other indicators that I should start detecting. The old map I included with the Google Earth image highlights areas with reefs and shafts, granite and alluvium. Just part of a detailed process involved in narrowing down areas of interest.

Finding 'shallow ground' with nuggetty gold is one thing but narrowing the search from 'excavator shallow' to 'small coil shallow' is for me the real challenge.

A complex but enjoyable process, I suspect many more experienced prospectors instinctively know what ground is of interest.

By instintively I mean hundreds of hours of research and hundreds more of real world experience..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm using a DJI Mavic Air, video set at Auto at 1080P 60fps with an ND filter fitted most of the time. I use an Ipad Mini mated to the controller, the Ipad  serves as a digital map and satnav when out on foot away from the car. Usually in the car is a pelican style case for the drone with everything I need. Compact and versatile with decent video output it perfroms well for me. I have four battery packs for the drone and can recharge in the car, but four is plenty for a normal weekend away. Got to the stage I even do a quick fly over when picking out a spot to pitch my tent, it has found me a very nice camping location complete with a great fishing and prospecting. The day will come when these gadgets deliver pizza..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm using a DJI Mavic Air, video set at Auto at 1080P 60fps with an ND filter fitted most of the time. I use an Ipad Mini mated to the controller, the Ipad  serves as a digital map and satnav when out on foot away from the car. Usually in the car is a pelican style case for the drone with everything I need. Compact and versatile with decent video output it perfroms well for me. I have four battery packs for the drone and can recharge in the car, but four is plenty for a normal weekend away. Got to the stage I even do a quick fly over when picking out a spot to pitch my tent, it has found me a very nice camping location complete with a great fishing and prospecting. The day will come when these gadgets deliver pizza..

I really like mine, a Mavic 2 pro, it was pricer than the Air as I wanted to get into commercial work with it, but I could have done just as well with a less expensive Mavic Air. That model really does well and I would recommend that one for starters too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just including an updated version of an older drone video, flying over another goldfield trying to identify private and public land boundaries before swinging the detector. The hole in the hillside were on private land, so I flew over for a closer look whilst staying on the public side of the fence.. no livestock, farm house or farmer with 12g..

• Like 4

Just including an updated version of an older drone video, flying over another goldfield trying to identify private and public land boundaries before swinging the detector. The hole in the hillside were on private land, so I flew over for a closer look whilst staying on the public side of the fence.. no livestock, farm house or farmer with 12g..

No Wedgies either, I hope!

65FD867F-C8E8-40A2-8EF1-8E67A3780BEE.gif.c4c3a14407523830677e95ca417e5124.gif

It certainly looks like you’re in the right type of habitat for them. You’re getting a lot of use out of your drone for reconnaissance, very nicely done!

• Like 1

The last drone video was over Ballarat Hill next to Vaughan township.  Wedgetail Eagles are locals, spotted a while ago so I know they live in the area. All jokes aside they are local wildlife and they do not like drones. They are protected and numbers have been increasing, I do check before flying and have had to abort flights because they are hovering about.  I just keep the drone on the ground and reach for the DSLR with a telephoto lens and enjoy having them around. Beautiful big birds with a bit of attitude..

• Like 1