Detech 15" Ultimate For Simplex

That is good news, perhaps it will give the Simplex the depth I lack with it, especially with target ID's, I'd be interesting to hear how this one goes as if it does improve depth/ID on the Simplex then it's a must have for me.

Here is a picture of another VLF version of it, I assume it will look the same.

1049146482_Detech15inchcoil.thumb.jpg.d0208ae4a7e188dbbb640608e66e686b.jpg

• Like 2

Great news. I’m a big fan of the Ultimate coils. What the 13” did for my V3i was amazing. It became a whole different animal. 

On 11/10/2021 at 3:34 PM, phrunt said:

That is good news, perhaps it will give the Simplex the depth I lack with it,

When I first got my Simplex one of the first things I did was run it through depth tests. I was less than impressed and I didn’t even get my expectations up as high as most people did. I wasn’t seeing fringe depths from it in air or in ground. So I looked through some more videos. Sure enough, there were air tests where it was doing significantly better for others than for me. The kind of finds it was pulling up for people seemed indicative of a deeper machine. I began to think I got a bum unit or a bum coil. Then one day I balanced on a new patch of ground. It came alive and was like a whole new machine in air and in ground. None of my other machines have ever been as picky about its ground balance as Simplex and why it should’ve affected the air testing to such a degree is a mystery to me, but I’ve confirmed it over and over. If the patch of ground I balance on is not super exceptionally clean depth suffers both in air and in ground. Problem is the patches of ground I balance on are all silent, giving no indication it’s not clean enough. I guess It just doesn’t like something in the composition in some places. I know there’s a lot of very fine rust in my home soil, but another funny thing about Simplex is it reads my soil as 0-2 bars. 0 most of the time. My past F75s always read it as 2-3 bars consistently. These things would bother me more if it didn’t hunt as well as it does now provided I get a patch of ground it likes. If I do, it’s as deep as an F75. If I don’t it’s more like an F4. It just seems to read the ground in a weird way to me at least. Just something I wanted to pass on to you. 

• Like 3

Thanks, I've tried everything, I have next to no mineralisation in my soil and virtually free of iron junk, tried both recent firmware versions, it just lacks the depth of other detectors even with similar size coils.  Smaller coils on some detectors beat it, the 3030 with 6" coil beats the 11" Simplex coil for depth by a long shot.

I would like to try a Detech 13" Ultimate (my favourite VLF coin coil) or a 15" Ultimate on it as I think that'd dramatically improve it's depth performance.

I keep seeing this information about the Detech Ultimate coils on various marketing websites and I certainly agree with the better depth (probably due to size over stock) and more importantly for me far more stable target ID's with the Detech.

Compared to a standard Double D search coil, the patented Ultimate coil design has the following advantages:

DD_versus_Detech_Ultimate_Coil.jpg.97c814dd625bb4e1e9e877cda2f55a97.jpg

• Better ground balance
  • More stable operation
  • Deeper detection depth
  • Better pinpointing
  • More accurate target identification

This search coil is produced using the highest quality materials and most advanced manufacturing techniques. The coil is filled with the latest lightweight resins strengthened with glass fibers and a chopped-strand material for the best in shock resistance. These materials are “transparent” to the electromagnetic waves and provide perfect shielding. The coil is UV and water proof and operates in a wide temperature range.

I'm often a big fan of Nel coils, and I have the Nel Tornado 13" which is Nel's version of the 13" Ultimate coil, and I prefer the Ultimate coil, it's lighter and I think it's performance is slightly better.

Serious Detecting is listing the weight as 1 lb 10 oz (about 735 g) and says it comes with a coil cover.  I assume the weight includes the cover but that may not be the case....  Also, the Ace version (currently out-of-stock there) is a full $30 less (~$190 vs ~$220 w/free shipping if ordered through their Ebay store) than the AT Series, Sovereign, E-Trac, Safari, and Explorer versions.  (Only the Sovereign and AT's are shown in stock presently and they don't yet list the Simplex version.)

For weight comparison, here are some measurements that Simon and I made (including coil covers) ordered by weight:

ML Eqx 11" -- 504 g

Detech 13" Ultimate for Fisher F75 -- 532 g

Detech 13" Ultimate for Fisher Gold Bug family -- 549 g

ML Eqx 12"x15" -- 674 g

(new Detech Ultimate 15" fits in here)

Nel 15" Attack for Gold Bug family -- 819 g

Coiltek 14" (typically labeled 15") 3 kHz version for ML X-Terra 705 -- 864 g

I found those last two quite awkward (toe heavy / unbalanced) to swing on their respective detectors.  The 13" Ultimate is a dream to swing on the fantastically balanced F75.  The Eqx 12"x15" is toe heavy but manageable for intermediate length hunts (3 hrs or so).  Note:  these are my expriences and everyone has his/her own comfort tolerances.

• Like 4

I wish we had US pricing, the Pro Pack of another detector with two coils and wireless Bluetooth headphones is cheaper than the Simplex with its custom headphones, the Simplex having the waterproofing to justify the extra there I guess.   A quick look at Australian pricing showed similar results to here.  I bought the headphone version as the headphones separately are very expensive and they're the only wireless headphones that work on it, if it used Bluetooth for headphones I would have just bought the version without headphones.  I don't often use headphones but it's nice to have them if you need them.

If I paid as low as $254 USD for one I'd think it's a freak, amazingly good for the price.  The Detech coil to go on it would likely cost similar to the detector 🙂  The US price for the Simplex is outstanding value, incredible.

I guess this is why people have different views of things as they're valued differently in different countries.  I don't find the Simplex particularly cheap here but in the market ignoring other countries prices it's priced about the right spot for what it is.

As for the Detech coil, I am going to order one for the Simplex along with the Detech Arrow (probably for a different detector) as I think it'll give the Simplex the boost it needs.  When within it's depth range it seems a very good detector, add that little bit more depth to it that I desire and I'd be very happy with it as I like everything except it's depth.  Most the silver coins I find are all similar depth, the depth of my pin pointer or slightly over and unfortunately that's out of the range of the stock Simplex unless I like to dig iron targets, the 15" coil I think will take it there and it's excellent handling of junk may make using such a big coil on it quite a good combination.  I think the 13" Detech would take it there, love that coil but I'd rather get the 15" to try something new and hopefully for more depth over the 13".

I'm really looking forward to this Detech 15"

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 8:18 PM, GB_Amateur said:

For weight comparison, here are some measurements that Simon and I made (including coil covers) ordered by weight:

An update of the list with 2 other coils below ( including coil covers ) :

ML Vanquish V12 12"X10" -- 497g

ML Eqx 11" -- 504 g

Simplex+ 11"  -- 540g

ML Eqx 12"x15" -- 674 g

Coiltek 14" (typically labeled 15") 3 kHz version for ML X-Terra 705 -- 864 g

Referring to Simon's post I am curious to see how a Simplex Ultimate 13" would perform vs a  Vanquish V12 on a big coin at depth ( 10g for example ) this in clean+mild soil. I am not sure that the Simplex will do better than a Vanquish because the Simplex is running at a higher freq ( mono 12k ) than a Vanquish ( lower MultiIQ freq 5khz ).

I would like to do the test on my bed tests but I dont have a Simplex any more  ...

• Like 2

I couldn't agree with Steve more! For $254.95, The Simplex is the best deal around. There is nothing that can touch it. I get really good depth with it. slightly better then any of my fishers, but the difference is minor, Where the Simplex lacks and this is with the 11' coil is in discrimination in trashy areas. Like all the round 11' in coils I have used, (That goes for the large round Nox coils too.) when I work trashy areas they miss stuff that my Fisher F19 finds with its 10x9 in. Football coil.  One of my tests for new detectors after a break in period  is to use them to search a small area like a section of curb in a big city like Minneapolis or Duluth with lots of trash pull tabs iron etc... Then go over the area afterwards with Fisher F19 to see what the new detector missed.  In every case the fisher found stuff the new detectors missed. The simplex with those 15'/13' huge coils would surely be depth monster, but I really wonder about discrimination issues.. . Never the less it is nice to see Non-OEM coils for the simplex. To bad they are not available for the Noxs.

Best, Michael

• Like 1

An update of the list with 1 other coils below ( including coil covers ) :

ML Vanquish V12 12"X10" -- 497g

ML Eqx 11" -- 504 g

Simplex+ 11"  -- 540g

ML Eqx 12"x15" -- 674 g

Coiltex Nox 15" for EQUINOX - 836 g