I Found A Use For My Simplex

That's what I bought my Ace 400 for! 🤣 It was right after a roof replacement. It found them all and I've never had a flat.

It's a good detector but not a great one. No ground balance, and discrimination is good but knowing about and having an Equinox sends the Ace to gathering dust.

I tried the Simplex and had exactly the same reaction to it. It's good for what it does and is well made. I'm looking forward to its successor in the SMF category. Funny post! 😀

• Like 3

I think this is similar to finding a task for slack/lazy/incompetent workers. Give them something so easy that they really would have to try and fail at it.

What a shame. I feel really bad for that Simplex, to be determined lame enough that only the detection of nails is its primary purpose. I did catch the humor in the post, but also seemed like there was a bit of contempt towards it too. It was like "Ok Simplex, it's your turn to shine. On nails, because you suck at everything else!"

• Haha 3

Not necessarily, because it's so good at identifying nails means other targets would be easier to pick out from them.

Unfortunately the Simplex just doesn't do well for the purpose I use detectors for when coin hunting and that's getting deep coins with reliable target ID's in minimal trash and digging as few holes as possible, in fact it's pretty bad at it in my soil even with detectors like the Ace 300 destroying it for depth and ID.  It either gives no ID or very low jumpy ID way off the mark. 

I think it means the people that like the Simplex have found it's purpose, they're using it for what it's good at and then they like the detector, I tried using it for what it's not good at, so I didn't like it.    I can see how it'd be good at certain tasks, this was just an example of a task I found it easier than using the CTX and even the Nox, the Simplex just made it so easy to do and it worked well.

All I think it sucks at is target ID's on deep coins, hopefully their MF detector is better at that and I may give it a go after seeing what others think of it.   I might try a bigger coil on the Simplex and see what happens in the future, it's a shame you can't try before you buy 🙂

I like everything about the Simplex except the depth/ID thing.  For the price it's great in all other areas and the competitors could learn a lot about building decent quality machines by following it's lead.

• Like 3

I must say the Simplex tones are horrible, on these nails it sounded like I was murdering a chicken.

You definitely should try the original Deus at least once. Its tones sound like the chickens are farting while you are murdering them.

Seriously, a person on a tight budget could definitely cover 95% of coin, jewelry and relic targets by owning a Simplex and a Vanquish 440 or 540. Their strengths and weaknesses compliment each other very well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

That's probably about right Jeff, having both a Simplex and a Vanquish for someone on a budget they'd really be able to do a good range of detecting, the two detectors each have their strong points where the other one is weak.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Simon I have one of these...works a charm don’t have to listen to dying chickens all you hear is a click every time a nail jumps up...

Strick

35819240-00CC-497D-98DA-DF7E6F984B6C.jpeg

• Like 4