Recommendations For Wet Weather Gear?

lostcoast

I live on the far Northern California coast. We basically have two seasons, wet and dry. In light rain, I generally ignore it. But I'd like to go out a bit more often.

For those that hunt in the rain, what gear do you use? I've got a decent jacket and boots, but I'm looking for a good pair of rain pants. Durability and range of motion are concerns. Also looking for some gloves, as leather work gloves aren't so great when soaked and it's cold out. Mud is also an issue.

You might look into frog togs. Very light weight, very breathable and effective at keeping you dry. Range of motion is excellent. You can probably get anywhere from half a season to two seasons out of a set if you use knee pads. They aren't really durable  but they are cheap and unbeatable for keeping you dry. You can get a top and pants set for around $40-60 dollars. I wish I had them when I was in the Klamath river region detecting years ago. That place is always wet or at very least damp. It is all I use now for rain/wind protection.

• Like 1

I wear regular clothes with GoreTex pants and coat on top. Have prospected in pouring rain all day at less than 40 degrees. No gloves, they just get wet and keep my fingers from feeling around in the dirt. Layers are good because when you get wet (and you will get wet, either from rain or sweat) your body heats the inner layer. Same principle as a wet suit. Keep moving and you will be fine.

Glad to see another adventurer who is willing to brave the elements!

• Like 1