Sometimes You Just Have To Mow (update 3)

Thumbing through the Red Book I see that the 1932 (plain = Philadelphia) cent has the lowest mintage of any 1-cent coin coming out of Philadelphia in the last 145 years.  The branch mints (San Francisco and Denver) both had quite a few low mintage years, especially -S mintmarked, but for the first half of the 20th Century Philadelphia dominated the production of most denominations, particularly the cent/penny.  Not a key or even semi-key but an uncommon date+mintmark nevertheless.

I never heard of a rein guide (not being a horse person) but that thing sure looks dangerous!  Glad you are still getting production from this site.  IHP's and Wheaties are keepers but it's about time you find some more silver!

• Like 4

Thumbing through the Red Book I see that the 1932 (plain = Philadelphia) cent has the lowest mintage of any 1-cent coin coming out of Philadelphia in the last 145 years.  The branch mints (San Francisco and Denver) both had quite a few, especially -S mintmarked, but for the first half of the 20th Century Philadelphia dominated the production of most denominations, particularly the cent/penny.  Not a key or even semi-key but an uncommon date+mintmark nevertheless.

I never heard of a rein guide (not being a horse person) but that thing sure looks dangerous!  Glad you are still getting production from this site.  IHP's and Wheaties are keepers but it's about time you find some more silver!

Ah, sorry GB. On closer inspection it is a 1925. The 1941 is an "S" though, may be the second one I've found here. 😵

I've dug lots of rein guides, this one is the most unique. Usually they are just circles with a bolt. This one seems to give the rider an option - whether or not to use it.

I'm pleased to be finding old relics again, but yes I'd love to find some more silver coins.

• Like 3

If I bury a couple of silver dimes in my yard next summer, will you come mow it?

• Haha 7

If I bury a couple of silver dimes in my yard next summer, will you come mow it?

That would depend on what else could be there. 😁 And reciprocity. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• The title was changed to Sometimes You Just Have To Mow (updated)

Finished the spot I was hunting yesterday, great day again, a fitting end(?) To Indian Summer. After digging a Buffalo nickel, I really didn't find anything else in that area. Guess I did a good job even when the grass was high.

Switched over to the grass area near the cemetery, I mowed that too. No sense in difficulty if you have permission to make it easy! 😀20211111_153822.thumb.jpg.4cce2c5da0fbb5ade4dc7185af64b3dd.jpg

There were 3 barns in this spot, at least one of them burned. They are gone now. At the far end there are a lot of molten metal clumps that ID in the 30s. There were a lot of cat food cans buried here as well, I have no idea why. Most of that has been removed. 😵

Finds were scant but interesting, I have fully half the field done. Going back Monday to do the rest, it's going to rain tonight, and I like weekdays because no one will be shooting at me. 😀20211111_164115.thumb.jpg.2819cc205097fffb007328d3107d7260.jpg

First the odd stuff, a big brass "D" ring, it had a large chunk of iron in the center that fell out. Next piece is interesting, a metal plate that has two rivets and "Dr. Scholls" stamped on it. Caused me to wonder who would put a riveted metal plate in their shoe? A personal torture device? 🤔

Bottom row has two more of those brass "bosses" that I think are some sort of horse tack, I've found 5 of these and the big one here is stamped #4 on the back. Guess they are sized. The last object is a solid brass hook with a plate for 3 rivets or screws it had some sort of rubber attached to it. No clue.

20211111_164120.thumb.jpg.8c31ea0e08308d58b1168d5069d02e3f.jpg

On to the smaller finds, two of the nastiest, crud caked pieces of clad I've found since the beach, a 2000 Maryland state quarter, and a 1996 nickel. At the end is my Buffalo nickel, sadly no date. An '82 penny and a '63 penny, both copper memorials. I have found a lot of clad in this area, the farmers have been parking their vehicles and working on them in this spot since the 1940s. The ring is probably a fine grommet, it was a 25 ID and under a brick. I though it might be silver but appears to be aluminum. Two .22 caliber live rounds, I dug so many shells (7-10 ID) that I stopped digging them. Hope I didn't miss any gold. 😀

• Like 6

And what about the ring?

Yeah sorry I just updated the post. It's aluminum. 😵 Probably a grommet of some kind.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Sometimes You Just Have To Mow (update 3)